JAYSON SHAW BREAKS 626!

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Part of the 526's appeal was that it harkened back to a fondly remembered era of pool. Guys played in suits and ran 100s at an elegant game. You saw the comments, in real time, as Jayson was raining 100s, that his patterns weren't as good as the giants of yesteryear as he was beating the high runs of those same players. Because it stood for so long, a myth grew up around 526 that it was so venerated, the game so complicated, it couldn't be done again. The old days *were* better.

Of course it wasn't true, but people felt good believing it. It could have been done in the 70s or 80s, but why? Jayson correctly described it as "torture."
There is another aspect to it as well, the way in which the record was set. Mosconis run was during an exhibition that got extended on prompting from the crowd, which was of a considerable size. It's not at all the same thing as some guy setting out to break the record, with numerous attempts over and over again, with only a few guys watching. The record is the record, but Mosconis record will always have a special place in history.

I'm glad the record is broken, it needed to happen for pool and straight pool especially. I'm even more glad that John Schmidts record was broken and we now can finally see the record run with our own eyes, without fast forward sections and in the privacy of our own homes. As an European I had no realistic chance of ever seeing John Schmidts run and I must admit it made me quite angry. This time it will all be different. I even got to witness the end of the run live, which was great.

Congratulations to Jayson Shaw.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one will... My league team is full of pool groupies and we share a group chat. I'm the only one that really cares, and there's one other that's more happy that John S. no longer holds the record more than anything else. Rest... crickets...

What it might do is light a little fire under the asses of a few other pros that like having bragging rights. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more pros hosting their own live streams taking shots at Shaw's record.

"Hey Joshua, you ever going to take a stab at John Schmidt's 14.1 record...?"​
..."Who's John Schmidt...?"​
"Hey Joshua, did you hear Jayson Shaw just beat the 14.1 record...?"​
..."What's the number..? ...and hold my beer for a sec"​

People were all about it today at my pool room.

They were all surprised to learn I was involved and I was able to give them all some inside info. One guy got all huffy like he knew more about it than anyone else. I let him go on for just a bit before pulling him up short, lol. It was cool.

Lou Figueroa

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While some connect the 714 with somebody named Ruth, for others this is the real 714...

View attachment 625127

Too bad the run wasn't on a Friday.

Congratulations Jayson Shaw!

a nice address........

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm hoping he wins two of the three major events at Derby City. It might interest more people in playing 14.1 to hone their skills if nothing else.
There are four major events at the Derby. Jayson once reached the final in the bank pool and he has his chances in both the 10-ball and the 9-ball. Even in the presumed absence of Orcullo and Thorpe, I don't see him as a contender in one-pocket, but I'll be happy if he proves me wrong.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm waiting to see how long it takes the skeptics, soothsayers, and mosconi lovers to come up with "reasons" why this run by Shaw is "not legititmate".
Pool room detectives are always into that horsey stuff.
Watch it happen.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm hoping he wins two of the three major events at Derby City. It might interest more people in playing 14.1 to hone their skills if nothing else.
Its funny after John's 626, I bet on him to do really well at the next event he was in. It was a major 9 or 10 ball event, just a month or so after the 626. I think it was a major, I forget which one. He lost 9-0 one or both matches. I couldn't believe it.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
For what it's worth, I don't think this cheapens John Schmidt's run in any way. John broke a 65 year old record, and that was a special accomplishment. If this sudden flurry of interest in high runs continues among the most elite players, even 714 may not be safe.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm waiting to see how long it takes the skeptics, soothsayers, and mosconi lovers to come up with "reasons" why this run by Shaw is "not legititmate".
Watch it happen.
It’s already happening. As amazing as this run is, there are some legitimate questions particularly in regards to the pocket facing angles.

The best thing the organizers of this event could do is to be perfectly open and honest as to the exact pocket specifications, which we know they are fully aware of. Dodging around it certainly creates even more speculation.

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are four major events at the Derby. Jayson once reached the final in the bank pool and he has his chances in both the 10-ball and the 9-ball. Even in the presumed absence of Orcullo and Thorpe, I don't see him as a contender in one-pocket, but I'll be happy if he proves me wrong.
Billy’s barred from DCC, as well?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For what it's worth, I don't think this cheapens John Schmidt's run in any way. John broke a 65 year old record, and that was a special accomplishment. If this sudden flurry of interest in high runs continues among the most elite players, even 714 may not be safe.
I'm thinking Filler might be the guy to do it. He ran 209 on ProCuts and made it look easy. On this table he might run 1000.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm thinking Filler might be the guy to do it. He ran 209 on ProCuts and made it look easy. On this table he might run 1000.
He also ran 285 on a tight Diamond during the Derby City 14.1 challenge in 2019. Filler and Gorst are not just two of the three straightest shooters in the world (along with Shaw), but they finished first and second in the American 14.1 event in October. Either is capable of a crazy long run.

gerryf

He also ran 285 on a tight Diamond during the Derby City 14.1 challenge in 2019. Filler and Gorst are not just two of the three straightest shooters in the world (along with Shaw), but they finished first and second in the American 14.1 event in October. Either is capable of a crazy long run.
The way Ruslan ran racks is very different from the way Shane, Earl, and Jayson did it. I think Ruslan, Filler, Gorst, Hohmann etc., could all run massive numbers if they were interested in putting in the time.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow, what a run!! congrats jayson!
Awesome!
Watch it happen.
To late. That happened in real time as it happened over the entire time this challenge has been going on. It actually started before the first ball was struck.