Jayson Shaw in the Hunt for Another 14.1 Record

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Has he even missed a ball yet. ...
I think he ran over one hundred 8 times yesterday (high of 322). Five of them ended on misses and 3 on break-shot scratches. He has 3 runs over one hundred so far today (high of 280); 2 of them ended on misses and 1 on a break-shot scratch.

I have been ignoring the runs under 100, so I have no counts on how those ended. But I wish we had a count on the total number of attempts. gerryf probably has that from his software scans.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Sorry if this has been answered before... how are the balls being racked? By hand, obviously, but without a template? Those plastic stick-on donuts? Maybe "trained" cloth?

pj
chgo

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Sorry if this has been answered before... how are the balls being racked? By hand, obviously, but without a template? Those plastic stick-on donuts? Maybe "trained" cloth?
tDJxeyh.jpg

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
And his patterns!

For the love of God, you cannot predict his patterns. They are totally unorthodox but whaddahey, they’re working for him.

Lou Figueroa
I can't judge his patterns through the rack, but his get-on-the-break-ball patterns (last 5-6 balls) look pretty orthodox to me (a non-14.1 player).

His CB control is outlandish, seemingly without much thought.

pj
chgo

middleofnowhere

Registered
I can't judge his patterns through the rack, but his get-on-the-break-ball patterns (last 5-6 balls) look pretty orthodox to me (a non-14.1 player).

pj
chgo
He has a classic break shot almost every rack. Most players will have break shots in the side, off the back or side rail. Not this guy.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
He has a classic break shot almost every rack. Most players will have break shots in the side, off the back or side rail. Not this guy.
I suppose that's why he gets such good spreads with his breaks - which maybe is how he can always get the same breakball(s). Can't overestimate the value of that.

pj
chgo

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
He whacks them open like Joe balsas used to, when you get the balls totally scattered you don't even need patterns. We can all run those racks. But there's got to be fear of a scratch on the break or something bad happening cuz they are uncontrolled breaks.
Luther Lassiter had that same style. As the world's best ball pocketer and a less than classic pattern player, it made sense for him, and he won a lot of tourneys with that style.

Joe Balsis is one of the most forgotten superstars in pool history, perhaps because he disappeared from the competitive scene for so many years. I was present when he reached the final of the World Straight Pool Championship at age 59. Some young upstart named Sigel took him down in the final.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He whacks them open like Joe balsas used to, when you get the balls totally scattered you don't even need patterns. We can all run those racks. But there's got to be fear of a scratch on the break or something bad happening cuz they are uncontrolled breaks.

hmmm, I disagree.

If you watch his CB he is doing very purposeful things with it on the majority of his break shots. You can tell by the way it tracks off the stack.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Yes, I would say that he's figured out some solid end patterns.

The rest of the rack... who knows what he's going to do, lol.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He manufacters one pretty well if it does not exist after the break. Impressive stuff all around in my opinion.

This is a good observation.

He is constantly moving or bumping or manufacturing balls that will work as break balls. I especially like that he's has no problem using break balls further from the rack than usual. It's very interesting (and useful) stuff to see.

Lou Figueroa

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think he ran over one hundred 8 times yesterday (high of 322).
16 times
Five of them ended on misses and 3 on break-shot scratches. He has 3 runs over one hundred so far today (high of 280); 2 of them ended on misses and 1 on a break-shot scratch.

I have been ignoring the runs under 100, so I have no counts on how those ended. But I wish we had a count on the total number of attempts. gerryf probably has that from his software scans.