Jayson Shaw in the Hunt for Another 14.1 Record

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I noticed Jason seems really relaxed.
Mostly just onestroking the ball and doesn't chalk often,
what chalk is he playing with?
Someone mentioned in the chat, and hold on to your pants now,

Taom. Can you believe it? He actually buys into that silly nonsense about not needing to chalk every shot lol.
Wonders never cease

Nccm

Registered
I've had a couple of snooker tables. My yellow page ad mentioned snooker in it and a lot of Canadians come to South Florida in the winter time. They would come in and they wouldn't even play on those tables pockets were just too small.

Then the other side of the coin was none of the golf players wanted to play on it cuz the pockets were too big. Long story short I actually gave it to a friend of mine it was an attorney for some legal work and replaced it with one of the gold crowns I had in storage.
There was a pool room in Pensacola in the 80'S that had 3 snooker tables, 1 was set up with tight pockets for golf and the other two had slightly bigger pockets for snooker. Was able to cater to both but golf was more popular

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a pool room in Pensacola in the 80'S that had 3 snooker tables, 1 was set up with tight pockets for golf and the other two had slightly bigger pockets for snooker. Was able to cater to both but golf was more popular
I’ve seen that before. Cue Club in the early 90’s in Vegas had a proper snooker table and a golf table set up.

Also American snooker tables built forever ago by Bwick had slightly tighter pockets than Riley tables on the UK have. Also the facing on the cushions is flat on proper UK tables and American tables have pool shaped cushion facings. Both have rounded knuckles. American snooker balls are also 1/16” larger in diameter.

Those are the main differences

Golf tables are not to be confused with snooker. Different game on different equipment-almost.

Best
Fatboy<———never played golf before. Just watched it.

middleofnowhere

Registered
My reality was, I always had waiting lists and that table sitting empty cost me money. If you can get a good golf trade that is really a money maker but they mostly really like 6x12s.
Another thing about golf, it is often a daytime game. It is played during what are usually off hours. In the old Congress in Miami. Thay had three 6 x 12s. It was a 24 hour pool room. At least one of those tables were playing 24 hours a day. In the afternoons all three would always be going. The standard game was partners so they were a gold mine.Often betting big money.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. I still don't understand why someone would put this guy in charge of their PR on the largest billiards forum in the world. Seems like bad business advice to me.

...or you can only read the "we're live" posts and don't give a fugg about the more uncongenial utterings..

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These balls are not opening up well - looks a little humid. Crazy he’s still getting out with some of these spreads.
Well, now we are REALLY replicating the types of conditions guys played straight pool in the 20s-50s - aren't we? Think of the greats like Greenleaf, Crane, Ponzi, Mosconi himself - playing this game under antiquated A/C - if any A/C at all in many instances - and trying to get the balls open on thick wool cloth - just imagine, and they could run hundreds - in competition!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve reported that I’ve played on snooker tables in England and Germany both in pool halls and more private settings, and none were as tight as what I played on in the US. Still tough pockets, don’t get me wrong, but for some reason every full 12’ size, Every English snooker table I saw in the US had incredible tight pockets. My home room, the owner got the table from Canada and must have opted for tighter pockets. If he had opted for normal pockets, maybe more of us would have played the game.
I'm going to have to agree with that guy.

I've heard people say that they played with pool balls on a Schnookir table.

I have done the same and I wouldn't bet even money I could shoot the cb directly into the hole 15 times in a row, bitch less shoot one in the traditional manner.

telinoz

Registered
As its an exhibition run, get some table heaters going.
That will sort out the humidity problem and make the table more consistent.

Its a method used in professional Snooker on the tour.
They also use what they call the god cover when the table is not in use.
So, next day of play the conditions are as good as they are going to get..

Also, a decent air conditioner and dehumidifier in a enclosed room would help.

But, even posting normal suggestions on a thread like this will no doubt lead to snarky remarks..
So it's more for others in general for their own conditions if you are experiencing similar playing condition issues you are observing at this event.
Cheers.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I personally wouldn't care about a heater to combat humidity. In fact, I'd love one for the table in my basement during the summer out here.

You might look into electrical heat tracing, usually used to keep pipes and tubing from freezing up. I don't know what they use on the heated tables though, might be something even simpler or cheaper.

Hu

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As its an exhibition run, get some table heaters going.
That will sort out the humidity problem and make the table more consistent.

Its a method used in professional Snooker on the tour. ...
Apparently one of the still-not-made-public BCA requirements for record-worthy 14.1 attempts is no heater(s) under the table.

Nccm

Registered
My reality was, I always had waiting lists and that table sitting empty cost me money. If you can get a good golf trade that is really a money maker but they mostly really like 6x12s.
Another thing about golf, it is often a daytime game. It is played during what are usually off hours. In the old Congress in Miami. Thay had three 6 x 12s. It was a 24 hour pool room. At least one of those tables were playing 24 hours a day. In the afternoons all three would always be going. The standard game was partners so they were a gold mine.Often betting big money.
Thats a good point. A good golf game usually continues with players jumping in and out. Here in San Diego, there is a golf game running continuous with players getting in and out almost all day everyday

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why even watch it? If and when he is gonna hit serious numbers you just not gonna show it properly anyways.
Poolmanis: Your opinion about anything related to Straight Pool is extremely respect-worthy IMO.

If you were the person who was in charge of showing it, what would you consider to be the optimal ingredients of showing it properly?

What elements and production design would you include, omit, change, that would result in a proper way to show it?

Arnaldo
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

telinoz

Registered
Apparently one of the still-not-made-public BCA requirements for record-worthy 14.1 attempts is no heater(s) under the table.
Well, as they are not out yet, they don't count.
How long has it been since talks of standard rules for these exhibition runs being made... Months now.