Jayson Shaw on a roll.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Congratulations to Jayson Shaw. What an amazing week. Jayson is the only player in History to break the 500 ball mark 3x in straight pool with a high run of 560 on April 5th surpassing Willie Mosconi’s high run of 526 for the 2nd time. Then takes a few days off to prepare for the Players Championship at the SBE with a very tough field and snaps off the Matchroom points event for another big title.
What’s next for the G.O.A.T. Of 14.1 High Runs? I see 1,000ville coming soon.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Jayson is the only player in History to break the 500 ball mark 3x in straight pool with a high run of 560 on April 5th surpassing Willie Mosconi’s high run of 526 for the 2nd time.
I’m not sure that’s necessarily true. Charles Ursitti claims to have seen a run of close to 600 and Willie also claimed a high run 609 or something like that.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I’m not sure that’s necessarily true. Charles Ursitti claims to have seen a run of close to 600 and Willie also claimed a high run 609 or something like that.
We will never know for certain
Can’t take claims over footage

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations to Jayson Shaw. What an amazing week. Jayson is the only player in History to break the 500 ball mark 3x in straight pool with a high run of 560 on April 5th surpassing Willie Mosconi’s high run of 526 for the 2nd time. Then takes a few days off to prepare for the Players Championship at the SBE with a very tough field and snaps off the Matchroom points event for another big title.

What this does is to illustrate that playing 8-9-10 ball all the time is B A D for your overall game, and that the concentration and respect you must give each shot in 14.1 to get high runs ADDs to your skill set when playing those lesser games.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What this does is to illustrate that playing 8-9-10 ball all the time is B A D for your overall game, and that the concentration and respect you must give each shot in 14.1 to get high runs ADDs to your skill set when playing those lesser games.
Lesser games? What in your opinion makes them lesser games? One could easily claim that Jayson’s mastery of the rotation games is the reason that he makes 14.1 high runs look so easy.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
... and yet we always have. Witnesses have sufficed in the past, as was the case with Mosconi. Charlie Ursitti, whom I knew well, is as reliable a witness as there is.

I recall Irving Crane's comment after learning of Babe Cranfield's run of 768. After noting that nobody had more 300+ runs than Babe, he added that he knew of no man of higher integrity than Babe, and that if Babe claimed to have run 768, it was reliable. That's good enough for me. Of course, it was a practice run and not an exhibition run, so it is not the record, but I feel absolutely certain that the run occurred.

Still, Jayson topping 500 on three different occasions is a massive accomplishment, one to be celebrated. I feel certain he'll realize his dream of 1,000 one day.

L.S. Dennis

... and yet we always have. Witnesses have sufficed in the past, as was the case with Mosconi. Charlie Ursitti, whom I knew well, is as reliable a witness as there is.

I recall Irving Crane's comment after learning of Babe Cranfield's run of 768. After noting that nobody had more 300+ runs than Babe, he added that he knew of no man of higher integrity than Babe, and that if Babe claimed to have run 768, it was reliable. That's good enough for me. Of course, it was a practice run and not an exhibition run, so it is not the record, but I feel absolutely certain that the run occurred.

Still, Jayson topping 500 on three different occasions is a massive accomplishment, one to be celebrated. I feel certain he'll realize his dream of 1,000 one day.
I too have heard of Irv Crane's comments on that run and also his asessment of Babe's integrity is or was of the highest order. If I'm not mistaken wasn't it also Carl Zingale who vouched for that run, I think I remember Jay commenting on that. I believe that run probably did occur. This takes nothing away from Jason's accomplishment which is mind boggling in and of itself!

dumisin

he's also a quitter and a sore loser

LowRight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I must say, Jayson's straight pool runs are very impressive. But it's also hard to compare them to Mosconi's because the equipment is so different. Straight pool is much easier on fast cloth with no nap and today's cue's, balls and tables are light years ahead of what they were a half century ago. It's a bit like comparing golfers from different eras. Today's clubs have huge sweet spots. Even back in Nicklaus' time, the sweet spots were around the thickness of a dime. :oops:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I must say, Jayson's straight pool runs are very impressive. But it's also hard to compare them to Mosconi's because the equipment is so different. Straight pool is much easier on fast cloth with no nap and today's cue's, balls and tables are light years ahead of what they were a half century ago. It's a bit like comparing golfers from different eras. Today's clubs have huge sweet spots. Even back in Nicklaus' time, the sweet spots were around the thickness of a dime. :oops:

and yet people cant help themselves
everytime jayson does it again

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Mosconi's greatness had nothing to do with his 526. He won almost every single world 14.1 championship from 1941-56. His ability to consistently beat all comers year after year after year in an era filled with superhuman players (including Ralf Greenleaf, Irving Crane, Luther Lassiter, Jimmy Moore and Jimmy Caras), is his legacy in 14.1. Greatness is measured in titles!

Ultimately, it's not that important whether it is easier or harder to run balls than back in the day. There can be no arguing that the current crop of elite professionals shoots much straighter than those of yesteryear (possibly excepting Lassiter). Still, both Mosconi and Crane ran 309 on the ten-footer, and even the greatest straight poolers today would be greatly challenged to top that number.

As far as high runs go, give today's crop the credit they have earned, while understanding that comparison across eras is a very inexact science.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mosconi's greatness had nothing to do with his 526. He won almost every single world 14.1 championship from 1941-56. His ability to consistently beat all comers year after year after year in an era filled with superhuman players (including Ralf Greenleaf, Irving Crane, Luther Lassiter, Jimmy Moore and Jimmy Caras), is his legacy in 14.1. Greatness is measured in titles!

Ultimately, it's not that important whether it is easier or harder to run balls than back in the day. There can be no arguing that the current crop of elite professionals shoots much straighter than those of yesteryear (possibly excepting Lassiter). Still, both Mosconi and Crane ran 309 on the ten-footer, and even the greatest straight poolers today would be greatly challenged to top that number.

As far as high runs go, give today's crop the credit they have earned, while understanding that comparison across eras is a very inexact science.
Great points Stu. Mosconi was simply the greatest and always will be. Mosconi had 10s of thousands of 100/125 & 150 ball runs and many other players did also that were unfinished. The idea I’ve had for at least 25 years that if top players were to continue their high runs than 527/ or more could be done and has certainly been done by Shaw.

I believe Jayson will get to the 1.000 mark and break the 500 mark many more times and maybe as soon as this year. Also to note Joshua Filler has made the commitment to give it a go later this year so we will all be entertained to watch on the Legends of pocket billiards free live stream with unedited non stop video to watch.

Last edited:

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I can say is if you have a personal list of (GOAT's) & Jayson Shaw isn't on it you need a new list.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think SJM's comments here needs to save somewhere for all to hit a button to repost next time a thread comes up wanting to compare era's. This is well put and provides both sides there well earned due. Cheers!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I started playing in 1961 in New Jersey and had the pleasure of watching almost all the great players of that time period.
I sat ten feet away and saw Irving Crane run 141 balls and saw a local real good player named Sam "one poke" Fauver run 169 well past his prime wearing thick glasses.
I also played Mosconi an exhibition game at a newly opened pool room.
You really had to see him close up in person to appreciate what he could do.
While there were some great old time players nobody ever then or today ran racks as smooth as Mosconi.
Thats the reason he dominated the game for 15 years or so and ran hundreds in his exhibitions for Brunswick.
He ran 85 and out on me.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
now see here:
Billiards Digest
CURRENT ISSUE
Previous Page Page 4

The Mosconi-Greenleaf Question

Chart.jpg

The Match-Ups

I interviewed several experts about the Mosconi-Greenleaf question. Pool historian Charlie Ursitti, a keeper of many records, tells me that Mosconi was the best. He eagerly cites various facts and figures to bolster his position (see illustration, pg. 47). Author J.D. Dolan, a Greenleaf expert, says it was the Jazz Age sensation who was the better player. Although Mosconi might have the very slight edge statistically, Dolan urges would-be voters to consider the context of their rivalry, and the totality of their circumstances. "There wouldn't have been a Mosconi without a Greenleaf," says Dolan.

Greenleaf and Mosconi played more than 100 individual games against one another, including six tournament matches in world championship competitions. Here's a sampling of noteworthy tournaments, including some of their key match-ups.

1915: Ralph Greenleaf, then only 15 years old, finds himself pitted against the greatest players of the age in a world qualifier pool conducted in Kansas City. He finishes fourth, which allows him to compete in the world tournament the following year.

1919: Greenleaf wins his first world tournament, amassing an incredible 9-0 record.

1920: Greenleaf wins his second world title, going undefeated 3-0. Mosconi also faces Greenleaf in an exhibition match in 1920. Mosconi is 7 and Greenleaf is 19 or 20. It's the earlier documented game between Greenleaf and Mosconi.

1921: Greenleaf wins his third world title, again going an undefeated 9-0.

1933: Mosconi mounts his first serious assault on the world championship. He does well in the event, while Greenleaf turns in the worst performance of his career. The Chicago Tribune's Charles Bartlett had reported shortly before the tournament began that the main attraction undoubtedly would be Greenleaf, a man who had "won the world's title so many times it has ceased to be amusing." But Prohibition comes to a close during the tournament and, according to news reports, Greenleaf's wife attacks him with a hurled ash tray. If Greenleaf became the main attraction during the tournament, it was for all the wrong reasons. It becomes clear that he spent most of it drunk.

"All but two other opponents found [Greenleaf] an easy mark," reported Time magazine. "To pool enthusiasts the spectacle was pitiful, particularly the afternoon when Greenleaf, always the well-mannered sportsman, appeared for his match with Jimmy Caras in no condition to play. Apparently drunk, he loudly protested that Caras had shoved rather than shot the cue ball in making one point. The referee waved Greenleaf away. When he continued to argue the referee disqualified him."

1934: Greenleaf and Mosconi go on the road together as part on an exhibition tour for Brunswick Billiards. Greenleaf wins most of these matches - the final tally was 57-50 - despite playing many of the games while intoxicated.

1941: Mosconi wins his first world title - and does so in grand style. The tournament includes most of the great champions of the day, with the very notable exception of Greenleaf himself. Mosconi buries the competition, ending up with runs of 100 or more in one-fourth of all the games he played. It's unclear how he would have fared if Greenleaf had been in the field.

1945: Greenleaf and Mosconi meet one another for the final time in world competition. Mosconi, then near the top of his game, beats Greenleaf 5,498 points to 3,738 during a long, multi-city challenge match.

Looking at the stats, Ursitti notes that Mosconi had a 76.6 winning percentage in tournaments, while Greenleaf won at a rate of 71.4 percent. However, Greenleaf played exclusively on the larger 5-by-10 tables, which Mosconi himself conceded were the more challenging tables. Mosconi also played on the larger tables, but only for part of his career.

Mosconi has the edge in head-to-head world tournament matches, having beaten Greenleaf four times out of six in recorded world tournament confrontations. However, if one discounts the 1933 event - that is, not counting the event in which Greenleaf was out-of-his-mind drunk - then the record would stand at 3-2.

As far as head-to-head exhibition matches, Greenleaf might have the edge. However, the historical record here is much more spotty. In fact, there's no independent confirmation of the famous "Willie and Ralph" road show of 1934 beyond the comments of Willie himself.

And finally there's the matter of Willie's famous high run. In 1954, Willie Mosconi ran 526 balls consecutively on a 4 by 8 in a room in Ohio. There are said to have been higher runs, but none have been verified by the BCA.

I asked Dolan, the Greenleaf expert, about this impressive accomplishment. Dolan notes that Greenleaf didn't give a flip for high runs. "Greenleaf didn't care about any of that," he said. "When he got through with a game, the game was over. The idea of carrying on was ridiculous. He wanted to go get drunk."

OK. Now go vote.

R.A. Dyer is the author of "The Hustler & The Champ" and "Hustler Days." Find his pool history blog - and the online Mosconi-Greenleaf poll - at untoldstoriesbilliardshistory.blogspot.com
Where the heck have you been?
I have been worried sick. Called the hospitals and state patrol and got nothing.