Jayson Shaw victim or defeated foe

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got home form Steinway and it's my opinion that this is the only post in this thread that properly assigns the blame for what happened.

There WAS an attending ref, sitting about two feet from Jayson Shaw, and for him not to know what ball was called by Earl is an outrage.

After an unsuccessful attempt to verify what ball was called reviewing the audio, Head Referee and tournament director John Leyman, one of the best in the business, made the only call that he could make in the absence of any truly conclusive evidence that Earl called the wrong ball.

It needs to be noted that earlier in this same match, Earl called the wrong ball and though he pocketed the shot that he attempted, he lost the table when Jayson pointed it out. To me, that makes it far more likely that Earl called the wrong ball here, repeating the mistake, but, of course, it is inconclusive.

To believe that Earl made the right call here would require believing that Jayson Shaw imagined the call of the two, as did a couple of very trustworthy onlookers to whom I spoke. That's a little too unlikely a scenario for my taste, and I think it highly likely that the wrong ball was called by Earl.

Shaw a victim or a defeated foe? I say victim, but the perpetrator was the attending ref, who got caught napping and whose nap likely cost Jayson the match.

The match left such a bad taste in my mouth that I left rather than staying for Immonen vs Lo Li Wen, which will determine the other finalist.

Can't give you green, but well said.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Lets use our heads here. I watched Earl look at the cut on the 10 a couple of times because it was super thin and the picture above shows this. Where in the world would anyone think he was calling the two ball? The 2 ball doesn't go anywhere! Use your brains here, Earl made the shot he was going for. The only other shot was the billiard off the 10 into the 11 ball which he also looked at.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Lets use our heads here. I watched Earl look at the cut on the 10 a couple of times because it was super thin and the picture above shows this. Where in the world would anyone think he was calling the two ball? The 2 ball doesn't go anywhere! Use your brains here, Earl made the shot he was going for. The only other shot was the billiard off the 10 into the 11 ball which he also looked at.

It's earls country accent his ten sounds like a two. Shaw was right to shark him, close match and it's earl.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Right, what he intended was obvious to all, but not relevant, because if he called something else, it's a miss, as it would be in any call shot game.

When two people play a friendly game of 14.1, they can cut each other some slack as they please, but this isn't a friendly game. If the rules of 14.1 will not be enforced in the semifinal of World 14.1, why even have rules?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Use your head

Here's my guess.

Earl may have just had a brainfart in his old age. If he did call the 2 ball, it was most likely a mistake. After all, both balls are blue, and he made a similar mis-call earlier in the match.

If Earl called the 2, it was a mistake on his part.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got home form Steinway and it's my opinion that this is the only post in this thread that properly assigns the blame for what happened.

There WAS an attending ref, sitting about two feet from Jayson Shaw, and for him not to know what ball was called by Earl is an outrage.

After an unsuccessful attempt to verify what ball was called reviewing the audio, Head Referee and tournament director John Leyman, one of the best in the business, made the only call that he could make in the absence of any truly conclusive evidence that Earl called the wrong ball.

It needs to be noted that earlier in this same match, Earl called the wrong ball and though he pocketed the shot that he attempted, he lost the table when Jayson pointed it out. To me, that makes it far more likely that Earl called the wrong ball here, repeating the mistake, but, of course, it is inconclusive.

To believe that Earl made the right call here would require believing that Jayson Shaw imagined the call of the two, as did a couple of very trustworthy onlookers to whom I spoke. That's a little too unlikely a scenario for my taste, and I think it highly likely that the wrong ball was called by Earl.

Shaw a victim or a defeated foe? I say victim, but the perpetrator was the attending ref, who got caught napping and whose nap likely cost Jayson the match.

The match left such a bad taste in my mouth that I left rather than staying for Immonen vs Lo Li Wen, which will determine the other finalist.

Your upset because Shaw didn't win by blind luck so you left wow

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
For the record, Shaw doesn't win if the ruling is in his favor. He still has to run 16 with 14 on the table.

I understand why Shaw was upset at losing the ruling, but Earl still needed 10 balls as well, and I think Shaw was much too precipitous in conceding the match at that point.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's all be honest about one thing. Whether Earl or Shaw won the match, neither of them is beating Mika in a 300 point match.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member

I watched it live and I didn't hear him say two or maybe my brain was saying holy zhit he's cutting that super thin 10. The way the game was "reffed" was a joke. I ref should be there standing by table and calling shots. What if Jayson said Earl touched a ball? Who is there to see it? Because of the louse nature of the match the 10 should stand. The other time he did it he owned it and took the foul.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Your upset because Shaw didn't win by blind luck so you left wow

That's not very accurate and, frankly, it's pretty insulting. I left because the attending referee's error decided the match.

Maybe Earl called the right ball and should have continued shooting. I'm guessing no, but my issue was with the referee that wasn't paying attention. To watch a match for three hours and have it end in controversy because a ref wasn't paying attention is disheartening for this fan of the game. I'd have been happy for Earl had he run out and it certainly appeared that he would do so, but to have the match end the way it did, I felt like my time had been wasted.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand why Shaw was upset at losing the ruling, but Earl still needed 10 balls as well, and I think Shaw was much too precipitous in conceding the match at that point.

I agree. It was a decision made all on emotion.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Is there any doubt that Earl shot a ball he didn't intend to?

image.jpeg

This isn't Scrabble, where you lose your turn if you misspell a word...
....it's a POOL game.

Win or lose, Shaw comes out looking like a nit.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not very accurate and, frankly, it's pretty insulting. I left because the attending referee's error decided the match.

Maybe Earl called the right ball and should have continued shooting. I'm guessing no, but my issue was with the referee that wasn't paying attention. To watch a match for three hours and have it end in controversy because a ref wasn't paying attention is disheartening for this fan of the game. I'd have been happy for Earl had he run out and it certainly appeared that he would do so, but to have the match end the way it did, I felt like my time had been wasted.

Maybe , appeared to , guessing ,, ,, is all irrelevant , what's relevent is a ruling was made and Jayson should have let Earl shoot it out instead of tucking his tail between his legs
like he tends to do when things don't go his way

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't see this, but is there any chance that Earl said "ten" quickly in a southern accent and Jayson, with Scottish ears, thought he heard "two"? If Earl trails off a bit and doesn't clearly say the "n" at the end of "ten" then it could be misheard.

Anyway, I don't see how Earl would have possibly called the 2 from there.

I was there as well, and Stu and I spoke.

There is NO question that Earl called the 2. None. It was loud and annunciated perfectly.

The object ball was NOT obvious. If you look at the layout of the table, you will see that in order to make the back cut on the 10, it require Earl to line up and aim into the pack. He could've easily been shooting an out of the stack shot.

Earl knows he called the 2, and those watching the stream, if they are being honest, will recall Earl admitting as such when his defense immediately afterwards was "but it was obvious what I was shooting". I'm sorry, I was right there, and that was not obvious, and the picture is proof.

The call was a travesty. But was just the final straw to the most disrespectful show of sportsmanship on Earl's behalf.

For any folks on the stream, did you wonder why Earl wasn't on screen when Jayson was shooting? It's because he removed himself from the playing area and was sitting in a different zip code. He walked off and left instructions/permission that Jayson should keep shooting. He spent half of the 3+ hours sitting outside the playing area. That's immediate grounds for a warning and disqualification without remedy. This was NOT enforced. How can anyone think that that is fair to the opponent, regardless of who it is. It is incredibly bad sportsmanship. There's more to being a champion than just winning.

Jhunter354

Should be practicing
Silver Member
Too bad Shaw quit. With the pressure and drama in this match no guarantee Earl was out. Also is it so hard to professionally referee such an important match?