Jayson Shaw victim or defeated foe

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
If it's so clear, why did the "referees" take so long to arrive at a decision?

There was no referee actually presiding over the match. There was a ref, but from what I can tell he was actually sitting down during the match and not keeping track of the shots. That's why the tournament director had to review the stream and try to make a decision based on what he saw and heard on the stream.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
why would he call the 2?

I think it was a brilliant ploy from Earl to get Shaw riled up so that he would claim Earl called the 2 ball, the tournament director would then have to make the ruling since the ref wasn't keeping track, he would review the stream and not hear Earl call the 2 because the commentators were talking, he would rule in Earl's favor, and Shaw would be so pissed off that he would concede the match.

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there as well, and Stu and I spoke.

There is NO question that Earl called the 2. None. It was loud and annunciated perfectly.

The object ball was NOT obvious. If you look at the layout of the table, you will see that in order to make the back cut on the 10, it require Earl to line up and aim into the pack. He could've easily been shooting an out of the stack shot.

Earl knows he called the 2, and those watching the stream, if they are being honest, will recall Earl admitting as such when his defense immediately afterwards was "but it was obvious what I was shooting". I'm sorry, I was right there, and that was not obvious, and the picture is proof.

The call was a travesty. But was just the final straw to the most disrespectful show of sportsmanship on Earl's behalf.

For any folks on the stream, did you wonder why Earl wasn't on screen when Jayson was shooting? It's because he removed himself from the playing area and was sitting in a different zip code. He walked off and left instructions/permission that Jayson should keep shooting. He spent half of the 3+ hours sitting outside the playing area. That's immediate grounds for a warning and disqualification without remedy. This was NOT enforced. How can anyone think that that is fair to the opponent, regardless of who it is. It is incredibly bad sportsmanship. There's more to being a champion than just winning.

Thats kinda interesting as rule 26 of the wpa regulations state that "26. Remaining in Player’s Chair
The non-shooting player should remain in his designated chair while his opponent is at the table. Should a player need to leave the playing area during matches, he must request and receive permission from the referee. Should a player leave the playing area without the permission of the referee, it will be treated like unsportsmanlike conduct."

But this isn't a WPA event or a 14.1 world championship as it isn't sanctioned by the WPA it is the 14.1 World tournament and who knows what rules are to be enforced. Guess thats why pro players should insist on a strong sanctioning body and only play sanctioned events.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not the referees, or the spectators to think for Earl and say "what is he thinking". Or say, "that's a crazy shot", after calling the 2 and then aiming in its direction.

It's not as if he was aiming at the 10 with a full, or even half ball hit. It was an extreme cut. With that in mind, and reviewing the picture, you can see the path of the cue was NOT obvious. And again, this was after he called the 2.

Had he called the 2, and aimed and shot in a completely opposite direction, it would've been obvious he wasn't shooting the 2. That wasn't the case. And that's the point.

I wasn't there nor did I watch the stream, but both Jayson and Darren said on Facebook that it was clear Earl was shooting the 10.

Let's say the 10 was straight in. 2 ball is the other end of the table. Earl says 2b. Shoots the straight in 10. What's your call?

BTW, Darren said on Facebook he thinks the rule shouldn't be that Earl loses his turn (but said they should have been consistent and applied the same technical ruling they did before).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wasn't there nor did I watch the stream, but both Jayson and Darren said on Facebook that it was clear Earl was shooting the 10.

Let's say the 10 was straight in. 2 ball is the other end of the table. Earl says 2b. Shoots the straight in 10. What's your call?

BTW, Darren said on Facebook he thinks the rule shouldn't be that Earl loses his turn (but said they should have been consistent and applied the same technical ruling they did before).

As I CLEARLY already said, in that scenario, it would be obvious. But in what actually occurred, he called the 2, and aimed at where the 2 was. Confirm yourself by looking at the picture.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I CLEARLY already said, in that scenario, it would be obvious. But in what actually occurred, he called the 2, and aimed at where the 2 was. Confirm yourself by looking at the picture.

So do you feel that if it's obvious that Earl intended to make the 10 but misspoke and said 2 he doesn't lose his turn?

Because other people are arguing that saying the wrong ball (even when it's obvious what you are shooting) should be loss of turn.

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
With Earl's southern drawl would anyone, that has listened to the cell phone video, really bet their life that he said two instead of ten?

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1224656045&fref=nf&pnref=story
so Earl had a brain slow down he said the 2 but he was already pick the 10 which he line up and made it but hey he forgot to say it,in any other tour it was ok for the shooter but not at the world 14 1 tour
Earl must admited it and say sorry and the some time let Shaw to play at the finals

I disagree. It was completely clear he was shooting the 10. I don't care how prestigious the tournament is- there is no honor in calling out somebody on such a technicality. I would actually be embarrassed to do so

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1224656045&fref=nf&pnref=story

so Earl had a brain slow down he said the 2 but he was already pick the 10 which he line up and made it but hey he forgot to say it,in any other tour it was ok gor the shooter but not at the world 14 1 tour

Earl must admited it and say sorry and the some time let Shaw to play at the finals

It is very hard to give Earl the benefit of the doubt because of his history, but if he meant 10 and said 2, he may well have thought he actually said 10 (I know many times in conversation someone has corrected me and I am certain I said the right word in the first place).

I don't think Earl slapping the table tells us he knows he made a mistake- it could equally be anger at what he thinks is Jayson saying he called the wrong ball when he didn't.

Finally, even allowing for his accent, in the FB video it does sound like 2 to me.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was a brilliant ploy from Earl to get Shaw riled up so that he would claim Earl called the 2 ball, the tournament director would then have to make the ruling since the ref wasn't keeping track, he would review the stream and not hear Earl call the 2 because the commentators were talking, he would rule in Earl's favor, and Shaw would be so pissed off that he would concede the match.

That is very doubtful. Way too risky. He probably would have lost if the ref ruled in Shaw's favor

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What rules are they playing by? Here are the WPA rules on calling shots:
1.6 Standard Call Shot
In games in which the shooter is required to call shots, the intended ball and pocket must be indicated for each shot if they are not obvious. Details of the shot, such as cushions struck or other balls contacted or pocketed are irrelevant. Only one ball may be called on each shot.
For a called shot to count, the referee must be satisfied that the intended shot was made, so if there is any chance of confusion, e.g. with bank, combination and similar shots, the shooter should indicate the ball and pocket. If the referee or opponent is unsure of the shot to be played, he may ask for a call.
In call shot games, the shooter may choose to call “safety” instead of a ball and pocket, and then play passes to the opponent at the end of the shot. Whether balls are being spotted after safeties depends on the rules of the particular game.

The part in bold is operative. The only thing that matters in calling your shot is that you pocketed the INTENDED ball. There's no penalty for misspeaking unless it leads to a situation where it's no longer obvious what your intentions are.

So everyone upset about following the rules to the point of ridiculousness should actually read the rules first. Even if he had called the 2, and everyone heard it, the decision was correct, IMHO, because the important thing is that he pocketed the intended ball, and it's pretty obvious that he was shooting at the 10 ball since there's no shot on the 2. It's easy to accidentally say 2 instead of 10 when you're focused on the shot at hand...or accidentally say 2 because they're both blue and you have a brain fart, or whatever. That's no way to loose a match, and the rules are written very sensibly so that really should never happen.

If the situation was reversed, and Earl made a stink because Shaw misspoke, everyone would be down on Earl for being a jerk, trying to win on a technicality, cheating, etc.

Thanks for posting this. I would really like to hear from Bob Jewett about how he interprets this rule. If it is obvious to the referee he meant 10b, does it matter it he misspoke and said 2?

maestro de pool

Focus Concetration Nerves
Silver Member
be a lesson to pool world somethin must born out of this

I disagree. It was completely clear he was shooting the 10. I don't care how prestigious the tournament is- there is no honor in calling out somebody on such a technicality. I would actually be embarrassed to do so

ok i respect your point of view your opinion but we all must agree that a tour that called its self world must had a ref too move around the table and especially in such ocasions loud clear shooters intension may this be a lesson next year mr Williams
i do not wish to put in Shaw s position no player on planet

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
It is very hard to give Earl the benefit of the doubt because of his history, but if he meant 10 and said 2, he may well have thought he actually said 10 (I know many times in conversation someone has corrected me and I am certain I said the right word in the first place).

I don't think Earl slapping the table tells us he knows he made a mistake- it could equally be anger at what he thinks is Jayson saying he called the wrong ball when he didn't.

Finally, even allowing for his accent, in the FB video it does sound like 2 to me.

But would your bet your life you're hearing it correctly?
Funny thing is I've listened to it a bunch of times in 3 different sessions and have heard both two and ten.

Last edited:

TurboDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my 2 cents

Right or wrong,

Jayson made the first mistake by calling Earl out, he knows Earl is in volcano mode and ready to blow.

Imo.. he should have approached the sleepy headed "Referee" with the concern and let the ref be the bad guy. The ref proceeds to sort the situation out, make a ruling, and the match proceeds to the ending ball count.

As others have posted, to call this a 14.1 World Championship is a joke.

8BallWonderland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watch the video on Jayson's Facebook page. Earl clearly calls the 2 ball and after he makes the 10 ball Jayson jumps up and said you called the 2 ball. Earl realizes he did and goes to slam his stick in anger.
The precedent here is that the same thing happened earlier in the match and Earl lost his turn and the ball didn't count.
So should be same ruling now wether you think it's a nit move or not.

maestro de pool

Focus Concetration Nerves
Silver Member
2ice in the same match?

Watch the video on Jayson's Facebook page. Earl clearly calls the 2 ball and after he makes the 10 ball Jayson jumps up and said you called the 2 ball. Earl realizes he did and goes to slam his stick in anger.
The precedent here is that the same thing happened earlier in the match and Earl lost his turn and the ball didn't count.
So should be same ruling now wether you think it's a nit move or not.

if Earl did it before in the same match something is wrong here:mad:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm late to the party, but could it be that Earl was trying to carom off the 10 to make the 2 in the corner?