Jeff Gregory Heart Surgery Fund

cabilliardclub

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our friend Jeff Gregory had heart surgery yesterday. His play of the past few years has really improved and he is a threat to win any tournament he enters. A few years ago when he first started one pocket, you could not leave him a shot, he would run out. Even crazy shots, he would slam in.

He has a congenital heart valve problem that he had surgery for when he was eight. Thirty or so years later and he is in again. Like most working stiffs, he has a little insurance, but he still is going to come out the other side with a huge bill to pay. Any contributions that can be made to him would greatly be appreciated by his wife and daughter.

I have started a Jeff Gregory Fund to help offset his huge medical bills. We made an anouncement during last weekends Worldppa tournament held at California Billiard Club. We recieved $400 from the players and I matched That $400 and a little extra for a total of $837.

California Billiard Club will be hosting a 9-ball open tournament in 3 weeks, were half the proceeds will go to Jeff. I will have more details on our web site, Facebook, One pocket.org, and Azbilliards.com. If you would like to just donate to his fund just send a check to 881 E EL Camino Real, Mountain View ca 94040 or pay with credit card by calling California Billiard Club 650-965-3100 and ask for Chris Swart.

With all the players out there we should be able to make a big dent in his medical expenses.

Thanks,

Chris Swart, California Billiard Club

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Catholic Charities offers medical bill assistance to those in need throughout the United States. You may be able to get some help by checking out these websites: austindioces.org or catholiccharitiesusa.org.

Years ago, I had a friend who had her entire hospital bill paid for by Catholic Charities, as she had no medical insurance. It was truly a gift from above to her at that time.

Also, some hospitals have philanthropic funds that are established for helping those with no insurance when they are suddenly faced with a medical emergency and must incur a huge expense. These funds are eaten up quickly, as you might imagine, but it might be worth checking into at the hospital he is at. Some hospitals don't publicize this and only offer it when they deem it is appropriate.

I'm in for $50 and will send a check this weekend to the address you provided. I will put my forum name "JAM" at the bottom. The name on the check will not be my name. It will be written on a checking account that my household uses for pool-related expenses. :smile:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Who said he was indigent?

Post said little insurance, so I was think he was one of the working poor in Cali. He should contact MEDI CAL to see if he qualifies, as he lives in the State of CA, and even some who work can be covered. Trying to give an idea.

Reactions: JAM

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
Post said little insurance, so I was think he was one of the working poor in Cali. He should contact MEDI CAL to see if he qualifies, as he lives in the State of CA, and even some who work can be covered. Trying to give an idea.

It is more like: Jeff has a great job but whenever anyone is faced with an operation that will take them out of income for several months, it will either suck your savings dry and/or make it difficult to pay mortgage payments etc.

Speaking for me, when I lived in California, I had a great paying job but always lived at that level to make ends meet. California is an expensive state. So if you loose income, even with very good insurance, you will be affected!

We all want Jeff to survive physically as well as financially! He is a great guy and an asset to our sport in every way.

--Jeff

cabilliardclub

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Catholic Charities offers medical bill assistance to those in need throughout the United States. You may be able to get some help by checking out these websites: austindioces.org or catholiccharitiesusa.org.

Years ago, I had a friend who had her entire hospital bill paid for by Catholic Charities, as she had no medical insurance. It was truly a gift from above to her at that time.

Also, some hospitals have philanthropic funds that are established for helping those with no insurance when they are suddenly faced with a medical emergency and must incur a huge expense. These funds are eaten up quickly, as you might imagine, but it might be worth checking into at the hospital he is at. Some hospitals don't publicize this and only offer it when they deem it is appropriate.

I'm in for $50 and will send a check this weekend to the address you provided. I will put my forum name "JAM" at the bottom. The name on the check will not be my name. It will be written on a checking account that my household uses for pool-related expenses. :smile:

Thank you Jam. Jeff had his tubes pulled out today. He is doing well but of coarse in pain. I will let you know when I recieve your check and thanks again for your help.

Chris

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Jam. Jeff had his tubes pulled out today. He is doing well but of coarse in pain. I will let you know when I recieve your check and thanks again for your help.

Chris

I'm mailing the check today, just printed out the label. I will drop it at the post office in a few hours when they open. I'm on the opposite coast, so it may take a few days to get to you. You can count on it, though. I know it's not much, but every little bit helps when you're going through medical difficulties. I had a scare this year, and reading about Jeff really hits home for me. I escaped a medical nightmare, so I'm paying it forward.

Wishing Jeff all the best for a speedy recovery. :smile:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm mailing the check today, just printed out the label. I will drop it at the post office in a few hours when they open. I'm on the opposite coast, so it may take a few days to get to you. You can count on it, though. I know it's not much, but every little bit helps when you're going through medical difficulties. I had a scare this year, and reading about Jeff really hits home for me. I escaped a medical nightmare, so I'm paying it forward.

Wishing Jeff all the best for a speedy recovery. :smile:

I sent a check for 50 bucks at the end of July for this cause, but my check has not been cashed yet.

Does anybody affiliated with this event know if the check arrived? I sometimes get nervous with snail mail.

Bumping this for this weekend's big tournament. Hope it is a huge success!

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff Gregory

I stopped by the tourney yesterday to check out the action. Think they had 52 or 53 entries. Some great shootouts featuring Rafael Martinez, George Michaels, Deo Alpajora, Baby Frank, Bryce Avila, and Nightmare Freddy. Maybe Chris.. although, he looked like he was struggling.

Jeff came and hung out for quite awhile. He talked about his surgery and showed off his crazy scars. He was in good spirits and pretty moved by all the support from the pool community. Especially from people he's never even met before. That's pretty cool.

I know they were having some problems with the live stream due to heavy bandwith use. It should be a lot better today.

Day 2 should have a ton of solid action going on!