Joe Porper's Little shaver

orangecrush

Just a banger
Silver Member
Has anyone use a Porper little shaver. I was thinking of buying one and wanted some opinions on it. Thanks in adavanced.

Shane
 
first! i haven't but i've wanted to get one too so i'll be interested to see what people have to say.
 
i've got one, it's useless.

it's not sharp enough to grab the edge of the mushroomed tip.
 
I have one but I haven't tried to use it yet. I tend to buy trinkets and try them out when I need them.
 
Thanks for the info. I was hoping that the little shaver $15 would do a good enough job to not pay around $100 for the big shaver. But I guess you get what you pay for. I just need something that will shave down the tip. And not everything that the big shaver does.
asn130 said:
i've got one, it's useless.

it's not sharp enough to grab the edge of the mushroomed tip.
 
I have used one with success. I won't use it on a two piece cue because thats easy to put on my lathe. So when using one I always tape the ferrule off with electricians tape and then remove the majority of the excess leather with a belt or a disk sander and fine tune it with the little shaver. If you don't sand first you have to push very hard to cut through the new tip. If they ever gets dull you can sharpen it quickly on the lathe.
 
I just went and used mine on a 1-piece cue. The tip really wasn't that bad but what mushroom that was there is gone. The other end of mine is a tip shaper cutter. Trims it to a nickle. That worked fine. Maybe mine is a different model. Johnnyt
 
Caution must be taken...

when using to not catch any of the ferrule.......but that's true for any tool you use. I only use mine on my own 'house cues'. Rarely gets used.

td
 
Your right!

grindz said:
when using to not catch any of the ferrule.......but that's true for any tool you use. I only use mine on my own 'house cues'. Rarely gets used.

td

Your right about the ferrule. Been there done that, it's not pretty. :o
 
I love mine

I love mine but it works best with mushrooms that are pronounced a little bit. Very slight mushrooming it doesn't grab. I would suggest two things.

1. Take it to someone with a lathe and get it sharpened. Mine is deadly sharp.
2. Push down or get someone else to push while you trim. The mushrooming will be enhanced and allow the tool to grab and do it's job.

Nick
 
Back
Top