Joe Rogan - "Pro pool players look down on bowlers"

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
That part is mostly on the Promoters imho. Having finals START at 1-3AM just begs a chop and the Promoters don't object because they wanna go home also! Plus, maybe im wrong but i dont think that would happen at Turning Stone, The US Open, The DCC etc-only in the 3k first prize pool room events that only have a smallest bit of meaning because we are talking about pool with pool players.

Not in my experience. In fact, the promoters have usually gone to bed already in many such situations. The chop is player driven.

It wouldn't happen in the biggest events for sure, but the fact that it happens at all is truly regrettable, and it sometimes shows pool's lack of self-respect.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:yes:
Not in my experience. In fact, the promoters have usually gone to bed already in many such situations. The chop is player driven.

It wouldn't happen in the biggest events for sure, but the fact that it happens at all is truly regrettable, and it sometimes shows pool's lack of self-respect.

If they went to bed, they did so without setting the tourny up properly so it wont end at 4AM. That was the bigger part of my point. If you have to do 9AM starts, that's what you do- from the beginning if necessary. There would be no reason to chop!:wave:

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
:yes:

If they went to bed, they did so without setting the tourny up properly so it wont end at 4AM. That was the bigger part of my point. If you have to do 9AM starts, that's what you do- from the beginning if necessary. There would be no reason to chop!:wave:

Agreed, the chop is often a consequence of poor management/planning, but it remains one of the ways in which our sport needs to look up at bowling.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With a better coach, I honestly think she would still be in the UFC and unbeaten.

FamiliarGlamorousFulmar-size_restricted.gif

What is she pretending to be doing here?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
What is she pretending to be doing here?

Swimming . Lord, elbows up boxing.
Her trainer knows nothing about boxing .

What is sad, as mentioned, is he poisoned Rhonda's mind in telling her she was great striker .
And what is even sad is, real boxing gyms were only a few miles from their gym.
Freddie Roach and Joe Goosen, both great boxing trainers, were only a few miles from them.

Now back to pool and bowling.
Pool players shouldn't look down at pool.
Both sports should be on one streaming channel imo.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is going to sound like a joke, but it isn't: When I think "pro-bowler," I automatically think "assistant manager at Rent-A-Center."

Pool players may be unemployed degenerates forced to wear over-sized cycling jerseys, but they still have character, and that counts for a lot.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
agreed, the chop is often a consequence of poor management/planning, but it remains one of the ways in which our sport needs to look up at bowling.

...................+1

PS- You and i both have seen TD's/promoters in NYC hold up weeklies 30/45 minutes to wait for a latecomer-Most of the time, the SAME GUY!! Ahahahaha

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what could possibly be lower than pool,professional pool that is

i am hoping these special events between 2 great players
is more interesting to me

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
...................+1

PS- You and i both have seen TD's/promoters in NYC hold up weeklies 30/45 minutes to wait for a latecomer-Most of the time, the SAME GUY!! Ahahahaha

Yup, that brings back memories!

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Swimming . Lord, elbows up boxing.
Her trainer knows nothing about boxing .

What is sad, as mentioned, is he poisoned Rhonda's mind in telling her she was great striker .
And what is even sad is, real boxing gyms were only a few miles from their gym.
Freddie Roach and Joe Goosen, both great boxing trainers, were only a few miles from them.

Now back to pool and bowling.
Pool players shouldn't look down at pool.
Both sports should be on one streaming channel imo.

What is even more sad is that in that gif of her shadow boxing, when she throws the right, her left foot comes off the ground.

But you're right, back to bowling!

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And in order to get the TV contract they first had to have the organized pro tour.

I'm hoping one day pool gets the fact that you need a chicken in order to get the egg.

Yes sir. I agree. I would love to see another pro tour.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol well bowlers have a machine that resets the pins and they don’t have to worry about them being tight so that comparison ranks as one of the silliest I’ve read on here and I’ve read a lot!!

Pool should look up at bowling.

Organized tour, players organization with membership and membership benefits, standardized rules and equipment, and a clearly defined ranking methodology are bowling's strengths.

I'll also note that when pool players "rack their own" or get the balls out of the pockets even when there is a referee, they are a cut below bowling, where players haven't had to collect and reset their pins for about 75 years now.

In its meaningful events, bowlers also have a dress code that is enforced. I once cringed watching Charlie "Hillbilly" Bryant competing in one-piece overalls at Derby City and am almost as shocked when I watch anyone competing in a "Hustlin" T-shirt. Far too many pool players show a lack of respect fr their own sport.

... and let's add that bowling events are played until completion. That's right, bowlers don't chop and dare to walk out with all of the prize money.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool should look up at bowling.

Organized tour, players organization with membership and membership benefits, standardized rules and equipment, and a clearly defined ranking methodology are bowling's strengths.

I'll also note that when pool players "rack their own" or get the balls out of the pockets even when there is a referee, they are a cut below bowling, where players haven't had to collect and reset their pins for about 75 years now.

In its meaningful events, bowlers also have a dress code that is enforced. I once cringed watching Charlie "Hillbilly" Bryant competing in one-piece overalls at Derby City and am almost as shocked when I watch anyone competing in a "Hustlin" T-shirt. Far too many pool players show a lack of respect fr their own sport.

... and let's add that bowling events are played until completion. That's right, bowlers don't chop and dare to walk out with all of the prize money.

I don't know...I might prefer the one-piece overalls over this

Attachments

• 5cabf377466a4.jpeg
    5cabf377466a4.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 136

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously though, maybe they could do a cross promotion event.

Take 1 or 2 representatives from each sport..... pool, bowling, corn hole and darts and play against one another in their prospective sport and see who comes out on top.

I guess they could throw in bass fishing and axe throwing.

I would watch it

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
She did KO some girl early in one of her mid/later fights-Probably gave her the idea she could box.

Part of why she did so well was that she was a true Martial Artist who specialized in Judo. The people she fought were in the world of fighting relative beginners (C players at best if you will).

But when she started to try to beat people with strikes she was out of her skill range and on at best even level as those she was fighting.

As others stated, bad trainers. But also her ego got in the way. At one point I remember her stating that she would like to fight a male counterpart (in her weight class) but later when asked about a transgender fighter thought it was unfair (smart thinking though I would think she could take Fallon to the floor and dislocate her elbow).

Striking isn't where Ronda was or will be at for many years. But she was the best ground fighting female of her short time. Very sad to me...

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Part of why she did so well was that she was a true Martial Artist who specialized in Judo. The people she fought were in the world of fighting relative beginners (C players at best if you will).

But when she started to try to beat people with strikes she was out of her skill range and on at best even level as those she was fighting.

As others stated, bad trainers. But also her ego got in the way. At one point I remember her stating that she would like to fight a male counterpart (in her weight class) but later when asked about a transgender fighter thought it was unfair (smart thinking though I would think she could take Fallon to the floor and dislocate her elbow).

Striking isn't where Ronda was or will be at for many years. But she was the best ground fighting female of her short time. Very sad to me...

2 of her last 3 wins were KOs, Beth Correia and Alexis Davis, both in Rd 1 under 35 seconds one of whom she knocked COLD while chasing her along the ropes-the other with a flurry.

Both those ladies have a better than 2-1 winning record-No wonder Joe felt the way he did.-not to mention Ronda.

Last edited: