John Schmidt compliments Jayson and the 714 run

gerryf

That distinctly sounds like either a hapless team-John person or more likely a troll wrote it as a put-on. It is ridiculously too effusive to have been typed out by any pro player, including John.

Arnaldo
It's still on his FB page if you want to read it for yourself.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That distinctly sounds like either a hapless team-John person or more likely a troll wrote it as a put-on. It is ridiculously too effusive to have been typed out by any pro player, including John.

Arnaldo

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Would have been more professional and classy to have called and personally congratulated him...JMO
You mean like all the other professionals did? Oh right, they didn't either, just posted on Facebook.
I think that it applies much more to the person who's record was broken than anyone else. It's pretty much standard good sportsmanship in all sports.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike, I can understand/relate to what John felt.

In 83, in sanctioned ABA 3C tournaments in the US, I won 62 consecutive tournament games! In this tournament at, 'Cushion & Cue' in Oak Park, MI., when my final match of the event was to be played, I already had the tournament won. I lost the game 50-48 to Lee Kravetz. And with that, I had won 8 tournaments in a row. Every event I played in the last few months was a like a roller coaster ride, with the spectators. Half looking for me to continue, the other half waiting for who would stop my streak! I felt for months like the 'Sword of Damocles' hanging over my head. The disappointment and relieve at the same time are hard to explain.

BTW, no one has broken the record yet. The formats then and now have changed very much, making it a little more difficult to accomplish. Back then, all the prelims were, 'Round Robin' brackets and so were the semi-finals and Finals.
But what size were the pockets? Lol

gerryf

I think that it applies much more to the person who's record was broken than anyone else. It's pretty much standard good sportsmanship in all sports.
Ha! Ha! Someone congratulates a new record, but that's not enough - they should phone or else it's not good sportsmanship. Earl and Shane must have phoned Jayson to show what good sports they are too? Well, no. Not a peep from either one.

This is a made-up issue. Schmidt acknowledged and congratulated the winner on his Facebook page. He didn't do it on Twitter or Instagram or his Tinder app. He didn't call up Western Union and send a telegram either.

This is 2022.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Ha! Ha! Someone congratulates a new record, but that's not enough - they should phone or else it's not good sportsmanship. Earl and Shane must have phoned Jayson to show what good sports they are too? Well, no. Not a peep from either one.

This is a made-up issue. Schmidt acknowledged and congratulated the winner on his Facebook page. He didn't do it on Twitter or Instagram or his Tinder app. He didn't call up Western Union and send a telegram either.

This is 2022.
It wasn't done by carrier pigeon or skywriting either... If you believe that a personal call or handshake, if possible, doesn't show better sportsmanship and isn't warranted...then I haven't anything more to discuss about this with you. I'm out.

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It wasn't done by carrier pigeon or skywriting either... If you believe that a personal call or handshake, if possible, doesn't show better sportsmanship and isn't warranted...then I haven't anything more to discuss about this with you. I'm out.
I sure don't know, and maybe you guys are close personal friends to Jayson and\or John...but just because the guy posted a congratulation on facebook does not mean he didn't shoot Jayson a note via more personal channels of communication. Who cares though...???

CaptainBly

Registered
John has no issue with Jayson, the issue is with Bobby who ran the event. He setup this event for the sole purpose of beating John.
I don't think Jayson has a big issue with John either but he did take a couple of digs at him on the recent Cue It Up podcast. Claimed Johns table had a heater under it. That was the first time I had heard that.
I give more credit to John for the breaking the record than I do to Jayson. Being the first to do it paves the way for all the others. I don't think Jaysons record will stand as long as Johns.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John has no issue with Jayson, the issue is with Bobby who ran the event. Bobby has been bad mouthing and trash talking John for years. He setup this event for the sole purpose of beating John.
I don't think Jayson has a big issue with John either but he did take a couple of digs at him on the recent Cue It Up podcast. Claimed Johns table had a heater under it. That was the first time I had heard that. I'm sure Bobby was bad mouthing John the whole time Jayson was there. That is where the feud really is.
I give more credit to John for the breaking the record than I do to Jayson. Being the first to do it paves the way for all the others. I don't think Jaysons record will stand as long as Johns.

I think you just set an AZ record for wild speculation, outright lies, and general silliness in one post.

Congratulations.

Lou Figueroa

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is 2022.
John probably happy to give up the title....been pretty thankless for him.

In pool, as in life, no good deed goes unpunished.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The original one was about 10 times better than the remake.
Remakes of old shows are just rubbish these days.
All train wrecks-Magnum, Knight Rider, Bionic Woman, Ghostbusters, The Equalizer (TV series. Love the movies though), The Mummy, Ben Hur, Miami Vice ...list is endless

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
If Mosconi blazed the trail, then John turned it into a path, which gave fire to Bobby to pave the road. Shaw broke the record, but if it weren't for Bobby then the usual suspects would still just be snipping in the 626 ongoing bitch thread.

John chased a obscure record that very very few cared about. He achieved what he was after and got a tiny glimpse of a dim lime light. Ended up dealing with a ton of garbage because of how he decided he should receive some level of monetary gain from the accomplishment. That combined with the really odd handling of the equipment used to set the record.

Because someone else cared enough to do something relevant. Shaw and others agreed to take a stab at something, none of them otherwise cared about. Now that someone with notable consequence owns the record. I wouldn't be surprised that a host of pros try to snap that crown off the head of Shaw. Love him or hate him. The man has a target on his back everywhere he goes.

The real shame is how all this crap boils down to money. People want to get paid, and I get that. However you don't need to buy anything to watch the successful attempt at breaking any other world record in real sports.

CanadianGuy

agreed that John did all the right things up to the point of achiveing the record and should be acknowledged accordingly,
after that, not so much

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may turn into a veritable worldwide race to keep exceeding whatever the contemporary 14.1 record is.

Even the youngest AZBers among us are likely familiar with what has come to be called, the "Roger Bannister" effect.

For many years track and field athletes, coaches, and fans were convinced that no runner would ever achieve anything under a four-minute mile.
When Bannister did it, (after years of trying) with a huge impact on the psychology of his rivals, legions of runners trained harder & smarter and many went on to increasingly shatter -- in turn -- the existing record for that event:

https://hbr.org/2018/03/what-breaki...-us-about-the-limits-of-conventional-thinking

Note in the article the significant -- to our discussion -- mention of all of Bannister's rivals expressing genuine relief that someone has finally done it.

I'm certain that Bobby, Lou, and team-Bobby will be remembered for having sent emerging 14.1 champions confidently forward on a determined mission -- literally "off to the races" for years to come. A "Mister 1,000" is now realistically not far off, and all of the video footage of all the present and future world-class record-pursuits will be mesmerizing, motivating, and creatively instructive about all aspects of the game for 14.1 fans here and abroad.

Arnaldo ~ Even brighter future ahead for the game, now.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Schmidt's way of congratulating Jayson Shaw is not a genuine, heartfelt accolade.
He should be ashamed if that FB joke was all.
Of course we don't know if he called and chatted for an hour congratulating him, but I doubt it.
I would like to know about Earl, Ruslan, and SVB also.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it even possible to purchase a copy of John's 626? On line? A DVD? What ever. Many would have and still would be willing and able to buy a copy of it. It makes no sense for something that was and still is a great accomplishment for John for him not to be getting sales $$ for copies of his historic run. I asked on his FB page and never got a response.