John Schmidt runs 820

People, fair warning an almost totally off topic post about racing. Straightline, when I was racing dirt there was a track the owner tried mightily to make perfect, track and grounds. Just inside of turn one there was a small mudhole. My left front tire went into the mudhole every lap! The track owner asked me why I hit the mudhole every lap. I told him the truth, I just herded the car around the track, the car chose the exact path. I tried a few times staying out of the mudhole but the car must have been part pig, it liked running in the mudhole! I also ran snuggled up against the wall on the straights so I was using every bit of the track and a little more!

I told him I wouldn't be upset if he put a big tire or mound of dirt where the mudhole was at but as long as I could run there I had to. It was the fastest way around the track for my car.

As for contact, I have never been black flagged but I have caused the flagman to pick it up a handful of times. Mostly I preferred a polite nudge at exactly the wrong moment for the other car and plausible deniability!

OK, back to the regularly scheduled program!

I won't mention any names but anybody that could run 820 legal or not could run 833 if they had the balls of a bull gerbil!

Hu
This is every bit OnT. People gotta come in and manhndle the thing. Elegantly of course.
 
Efren had $200.000 on the line best I recall. When he reaches and shakes his shirt it is an indication his heart was beating like a triphammer! Mike was one of the few people with a winning record against Efren at the time. Efren was even nicknamed the bridesmaid for awhile because he came second to Mike so often. Mike has a mouth but he backed it up for years.

mike had no business being in that final. being seeded TO the final was nothing other than a monetary gift from his buddy KT..
 
mike had no business being in that final. being seeded TO the final was nothing other than a monetary gift from his buddy KT..

I watched a bit of The Hustler last night. Reminded me of Mike copying Paul Newman before the final. Funny in a way but I think the con ran in the IPT was Mike conning Kevin. I suspect that Mike really thought he could turn back the clock with the heavy cloth but the train had left the station. Mike might have stood a better chance had he played an American but playing Efren who had been adapting to every kind of equipment since he was a child didn't work out at all for Mike.

The experiment was interesting to see. Mike would have probably had a better chance in the final had he came up through the event. We usually see players in the semi-finals and finals and they all look like monsters. Easy to forget the players have been tuning in tough competition to get where they are at. Mike didn't have that fine tuning. The other side of the coin is that it is highly unlikely that Mike would have gotten through the field to get to the final. Father Time is a cruel bastard!

Hu
 
I watched a bit of The Hustler last night. Reminded me of Mike copying Paul Newman before the final. Funny in a way but I think the con ran in the IPT was Mike conning Kevin. I suspect that Mike really thought he could turn back the clock with the heavy cloth but the train had left the station. Mike might have stood a better chance had he played an American but playing Efren who had been adapting to every kind of equipment since he was a child didn't work out at all for Mike.

The experiment was interesting to see. Mike would have probably had a better chance in the final had he came up through the event. We usually see players in the semi-finals and finals and they all look like monsters. Easy to forget the players have been tuning in tough competition to get where they are at. Mike didn't have that fine tuning. The other side of the coin is that it is highly unlikely that Mike would have gotten through the field to get to the final. Father Time is a cruel bastard!

Hu

my theory is efren got told after the first donut set to let off a little to make it less obvious. simple bookkeeping, write it off as operational expenses instead of consultant fee, and for the recipient as professional athlete..

anyway, that's yesterdays papers
 
I watched a bit of The Hustler last night. Reminded me of Mike copying Paul Newman before the final. Funny in a way but I think the con ran in the IPT was Mike conning Kevin. I suspect that Mike really thought he could turn back the clock with the heavy cloth but the train had left the station. Mike might have stood a better chance had he played an American but playing Efren who had been adapting to every kind of equipment since he was a child didn't work out at all for Mike.

The experiment was interesting to see. Mike would have probably had a better chance in the final had he came up through the event. We usually see players in the semi-finals and finals and they all look like monsters. Easy to forget the players have been tuning in tough competition to get where they are at. Mike didn't have that fine tuning. The other side of the coin is that it is highly unlikely that Mike would have gotten through the field to get to the final. Father Time is a cruel bastard!

Hu
Sigel or somebody commented that he had run (prolly strung) 8 racks on the warmup table. I'd say he wore it out before they even started.
 
The regulation balls are tinier than American snooker balls. Why is that?
I have no idea, I didn't even know American snooker was a thing until I read your post. English pool also uses smaller balls and pockets than American pool. Presumably they diverged for the same reason, though don't know what that is. Maybe just everything is bigger in America :D
 
I have no idea, I didn't even know American snooker was a thing until I read your post. English pool also uses smaller balls and pockets than American pool. Presumably they diverged for the same reason, though don't know what that is. Maybe just everything is bigger in America :D
Since snooker isn't American, maybe the standard during its introduction here was 2 1/8" and for some reason the British size shrunk. Gotta look up some details.
 
American snooker often uses 54 mm (2+1⁄8 inch) balls,[5] but may use standard 52.5 mm (approx. 2+1⁄16 in) balls. It is typically played on a 10 by 5 ft (3.0 by 1.5 m) table (and in private homes, often on even smaller tables), as full-size regulation 12 by 6 ft (3.7 by 1.8 m) British-style tables are rare in the United States, although they are legal for American snooker

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_snooker

Doesn't say why.
 
American snooker often uses 54 mm (2+1⁄8 inch) balls,[5] but may use standard 52.5 mm (approx. 2+1⁄16 in) balls. It is typically played on a 10 by 5 ft (3.0 by 1.5 m) table (and in private homes, often on even smaller tables), as full-size regulation 12 by 6 ft (3.7 by 1.8 m) British-style tables are rare in the United States, although they are legal for American snooker

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_snooker

Doesn't say why.
I've traveled all over the US and I've seen more (well, at least as many) 12 foot snooker tables as 10 footers. However, most american snooker tables are setup for golf and gambling than actually playing snooker. my high break was on a 10 footer (86), but I also had a 73 on a 12 foot, and that 12 foot had tighter pockets as it was mostly used for golf, like I had mentioned.

I used to match up playing 8 ball on the snooker table with Sam Manoale using the skill balls (snooker sized pool balls).
 
The tables they are running the big numbers on are neither fish nor fowl nor are any standard rules being used.

If I set up equipment to suit me and played by my rules I could run a thousand before a week was out. It would be meaningless, sorta like runs where you foul multiple times on video and keep going.

We have several people that might be able to set a record. To do it they are going to have to do it on real equipment that is played on regularly and using a conventional set of rules.

Things have changed too much, Willie's run stands forever. That doesn't mean new records can't be set. There will have to be some agreement as to equipment and rules before new records can be respected.

What many want to ignore is that the big pockets were little more than a fad. Serious tables had tight pockets. Then when the pro's of the time looked like duffers they opened up the pockets for spectator interest. Now the pockets have tightened up to mostly "normal" and some ridiculously tight.

Even on a seven foot table under four inches changes the game too much to play. Even on a ten foot table over five gets silly for anything but duffers and the maximum pocket should probably be 4.75".

Unfortunately pool is in a new era of the golden rule. Whoever has the gold makes the rules.

Hu
 
hu said it like how it is.

my own personal idea is they should be on a standard diamond or gold crown as normally set up in a pool room.

with standard tournament straight pool rules followed exactly. with done in public or public live viewing.

as most all records are made in that way.

would the longest drive of a golf ball count if hit from a tee box to a frozen lake on a pro golf course?

or on conditions of wind at your back or even that, and down hill.
 
Last edited:
the runs are something just for show or to talk about. and are a big accomplishment. in a tournament setting they would never happen.
Those ^^^ runs. There can still be actual quality shit with zero tolerance equipment - low numbers and all. Get all the practicers involved.
 
hu said it like how it is.

my own personal idea is they should be on a standard diamond or gold crown as normally set up in a pool room.

with standard tournament straight pool rules followed exactly. with done in public or public live viewing.

as most all records are made in that way.

would the longest drive of a golf ball count if hit from a tee box to a frozen lake on a pro golf course?

or on conditions of wind at your back or even that, and down hill.
All my high run events are done like this. 100% live streamed and no editing. Standard Gold Crown specs. No heaters under the table, no coaching, no removing of the balls to clean once a run starts, a permanent rack template so the balls can’t be racked high, low or sideways. and all fouls end a run.
 
Last edited:
All my high run events are done like this. 100% live streamed and no editing. Standard Gold Crown specs. No heaters under the table, no coaching, no removing of the balls to clean once a run starts, a permanent tack template so the balls can’t be racked high, low or sideways. and all fouls end a run.

yea but there should be a live audience and they should be smoking no filter pall malls, and jayson should wear a suit and tie and drive to the venue in a chevy biscayne with whitewall tires etc
 
your attempt has been exemplary to get a fair result in high runs. and you handled the costs as well.

as with all things people, me included, will look for improvements. i would like to see them done on a standard factory gold crown and wonder why they are not.
most would suspect, rightly or wrongly that it makes it easier with other tables. and no way to dispel that unfortunately.

but with the super high runs happening, it makes things suspicious looking that the table conditions are not what others play on so cant relate or compare.

but despite other thoughts, you have done a lot for pool by finally getting some recognition of straight pool and its complexities.
and helped the awareness of pool which is most important. so good luck bobby on this.
 
Back
Top