Johnston City All Around

Keith thompson

In the case of winning two divisions at Johnston city back in the day there would still be an all around with the other champion.

The three divisions were 9 ball, one hole and 14-1. If anyone won one of these divisions that entitled them to the all around.

Wimpy Lassiter won the 9 ball and 14-1 divisions in 1964 but lost the all around to Eddie Taylor who won the one pocket division and I believe Eddie Kelly won two divisions one year but lost the all around also.

To not have an all around one player would have to win all three divisions!

Just for anyone that doesn’t know because it’s been discussed occasionally

Keith thompson

So in the case of 1964 how was it determined that Eddie Taylor won the all around with only winning one division over Wimpy who won two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wimpy and Eddie played 9 ball race to 11, they played one hole race to four and 14-1 race to 125. If the same player won the first two matches he was the champion but it could go three matches if it was one to one!

In 1970 there was three champions, wimpy won the 14-1, Ronnie won the one pocket and myself the 9 ball division. Each contestant had to play six matches, three matches against both opponents. It came down to myself and Ronnie playing the final match in a race to eleven in nineball.

I lost to Lassiter 125-60 in 14-1.
I lost to Ronnie at one hole 4-2.
I won against both at 9 ball 11-8.
I won against Lassiter at one hole 4-2.
I won against Ronnie at 14-1, 125-119. It took me about 12 hours to win that all around, started at 11am or noon and played matches all day until myself and Ronnie finished it up at 2am the next morning! Nobody left, it wasn’t a cakewalk!

Some players such as myself only entered one division and if they won they had a spot in the all around.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Amazingly I've been around pool 60 years and never heard of Keith Thompson.
If you followed Johnston city you would almost certainly have. Back then though, beyond the old Billiard News paper it was hard to know any current news about pool. He has always fallen into the "What ever became of," when spoken about. He is certainly a footnote in pool history.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever hear of Squirrel
I have a hard drive in storage of squirrel playing Grady at derby at EW. I need to get that hard drive out. It’s in storage in Vegas. It should be in good contrition. Justin of TAR is the owner of it, I have to contact him first before I could release the content. I’m pretty sure he would be cool with that. It’s been in climate control storage forever. It’s a few hours long

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he's referring to the 1993 L.A. Open. Jay can tell you about it and how well Mark Tadd was playing then.
He wasn’t missing much.

Until he ran into CJ at cue club in Begas one night.

Other than that night Mark was crushing everyone.

Best Fatboy

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good chart showing winners at Johnston City from Onepocket.org:

Lots of others around, I’m sure.
I see Wimpys name on the chart 14 times, pretty good wasn't he?
Just noticed Joe Russo from Trenton N.J. won the 14.1 in 1969.
I played Joe Russo 9 ball in a pool room in Toms River N.J. sometime around 1964,I got toasted.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wimpy and Eddie played 9 ball race to 11, they played one hole race to four and 14-1 race to 125. If the same player won the first two matches he was the champion but it could go three matches if it was one to one!

In 1970 there was three champions, wimpy won the 14-1, Ronnie won the one pocket and myself the 9 ball division. Each contestant had to play six matches, three matches against both opponents. It came down to myself and Ronnie playing the final match in a race to eleven in nineball.

I lost to Lassiter 125-60 in 14-1.
I lost to Ronnie at one hole 4-2.
I won against both at 9 ball 11-8.
I won against Lassiter at one hole 4-2.
I won against Ronnie at 14-1, 125-119. It took me about 12 hours to win that all around, started at 11am or noon and played matches all day until myself and Ronnie finished it up at 2am the next morning! Nobody left, it wasn’t a cakewalk!

Some players such as myself only entered one division and if they won they had a spot in the all around.
This is valuable information. I've never seen these results in print before. Amazing that you can actually remember all the scores. Thank you for this Keith. Sounds like it was one helluva day. Sorry I missed that one. Once I made it out to California in 1967-8 and decided to stay there (loved the weather and all the action), I didn't return East until 1972.