Jose 'Amang' Parica

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Due to some posts in other threads, I thought I'd open an appreciation thread about 'Father', Jose 'Amang' Parica.

I've been going back and watching Jose's matches with, Buddy, Efren, Archer.. as well as remembering him in gambling action. Talk about heart...Parica wasn't afraid of anybody. I love Efren's game..I don't think anyone kicks and plays billiard type shots better, but I think Jose is right there with him.

Jay, Bob, everyone... post away!... and any pictures?

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Due to some posts in other threads, I thought I'd open an appreciation thread about 'Father', Jose 'Amang' Parica.

I've been going back and watching Jose's matches with, Buddy, Efren, Archer.. as well as remembering him in gambling action. Talk about heart...Parica wasn't afraid of anybody. I love Efren's game..I don't think anyone kicks and plays billiard type shots better, but I think Jose is right there with him.

Seen him play many times. Great, great, great player.

The most memorable thing anyone, I think, has ever said to me, pool-related, was at a tournament in the mid-80s at Baker's in Tampa. Someone had put me in and I was practicing by myself, getting ready for my second match. On my periphery, I noticed someone approach the table. I paused and looked up. It was Jose Parica. He said "I like the way you play..." And that was it. I said "Thanks." and he turned and walked away. At first, I was, of course, expecting him to follow that up with "And you got the 7." But nope. He just walked away. I felt 100' tall. I will never forget that til the day I die. So, all these many years later, thanks again, Mr. Parica.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Great player. Makes no sense that he wasn't inducted in to the BCA HOF until he was 65 years old, whereas Bustamante made it at 47 and Reyes at 49.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The best Rotation player I ever saw, PERIOD! He didn't win the most tournaments mainly because he didn't play in as many as the other top players (he still won his share). But in money games, where you really find out who the best player is, he was virtually unbeatable. For about 20 years nobody could beat him and they all tried, except buddy. NO ONE was barred! Jose was the Money King of the world! :thumbup:

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
Seen him play many times. Great, great, great player.

The most memorable thing anyone, I think, has ever said to me, pool-related, was at a tournament in the mid-80s at Baker's in Tampa. Someone had put me in and I was practicing by myself, getting ready for my second match. On my periphery, I noticed someone approach the table. I paused and looked up. It was Jose Parica. He said "I like the way you play..." And that was it. I said "Thanks." and he turned and walked away. At first, I was, of course, expecting him to follow that up with "And you got the 7." But nope. He just walked away. I felt 100' tall. I will never forget that til the day I die. So, all these many years later, thanks again, Mr. Parica.
Respect to Amang - the original money game king! The giant killer! He epitomizes the true meaning of the heart of a champion! And more!

I was very fortunate to finally meet him - and of all time, on the day I returned to the sport. Had one unforgettable chat with the Great Amang.
cef3dbb789920bc57f1d825819ac0cdd.jpg
a41caa6edfa5d1c5197dc84462e3fb2c.jpg
aa0e0d5ed87e66463de1203b01d4d832.jpg
cb41b3c524cbaf5a57250a71483572c8.jpg
235843de10e3510c40da2dfcc81d3be0.jpg

Michael Andros

Silver Member
The best Rotation player I ever saw, PERIOD! He didn't win the most tournaments mainly because he didn't play in as many as the other top players (he still won his share). But in money games, where you really find out who the best player is, he was virtually unbeatable. For about 20 years nobody could beat him and they all tried, except buddy. NO ONE was barred! Jose was the Money King of the world! :thumbup:

I heard a story back in the 80s that when he first got here ( preceded Efren by a year ) in 83-ish, he showed up at a 14.1 tournament in NY and proceeded to bust every livin' human. And they all said "Who the *F* ARE you? Where are you from???" And supposedly, he said "Oh, I'm from the Philippines." And someone said "Well, wherever you're from, you're the best player I've EVER SEEN." And Parica says "Nahhhh... guy back home gives me weight." And everyone's like... "Uh huh... suuureeeeeee he does." So the next year he comes back with some guy named Efren.

Dunno if all of that's true, but I did hear it from several people.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I heard a story back in the 80s that when he first got here ( preceded Efren by a year ) in 83-ish, he showed up at a 14.1 tournament in NY and proceeded to bust every livin' human. And they all said "Who the *F* ARE you? Where are you from???" And supposedly, he said "Oh, I'm from the Philippines." And someone said "Well, wherever you're from, you're the best player I've EVER SEEN." And Parica says "Nahhhh... guy back home gives me weight." And everyone's like... "Uh huh... suuureeeeeee he does." So the next year he comes back with some guy named Efren.

The statement was more like..when asked where the hell a player like him came from..
...Jose said "I had to leave the Phillippines, I couldn't beat anyone there."
:grin:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
The statement was more like..when asked where the hell a player like him came from..
...Jose said "I had to leave the Phillippines, I couldn't beat anyone there."
:grin:

No kidding, right??? And he would've probably been serious! Talk about popping American pool's bubble! Can you imagine what they must've been thinking? And I also heard when Efren came over and was at Red's tourney in Houston in 84, one of the American world-beaters asked Rempe ( who had seen him play already ), 'How's this guy play?" And supposedly, Rempe said "No problem... he's got a funny little pump-house stroke. No problem at all."

Talk about famous last words. :cool:

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great player. Makes no sense that he wasn't inducted in to the BCA HOF until he was 65 years old, whereas Bustamante made it at 47 and Reyes at 49.

Yes, it was overdue, but let’s celebrate that he’s in.

I’m not shy to say that I nominated José for the Veterans Category, and I had the deciding vote on the Veterans Committee to push him through. He deserved to get in earlier, but timing snakebit him.

Freddie

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

It’s the BCA, when’s the last time they were relevant to us as players from either good representation or monetarily. they’ve had no vote years due to????? I mean there’s no real pool HOF it’s online nothing more. If I’m not mistaken that was one of the handful of key points for onepocket.org onepocket and banks HOF and voting members.

Can’t think of a more inept and pointless governing body (in all of sports) in regards to the games/players present position.🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was as good as anybody

Go AccuStats and get the mach between him and Earl, talk about running out!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s the BCA, when’s the last time they were relevant to us as players from either good representation or monetarily. they’ve had no vote years due to????? I mean there’s no real pool HOF it’s online nothing more. If I’m not mistaken that was one of the handful of key points for onepocket.org onepocket and banks HOF and voting members.

Can’t think of a more inept and pointless governing body (in all of sports) in regards to the games/players present position.🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tap, tap, tap!

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No kidding, right??? And he would've probably been serious! Talk about popping American pool's bubble! Can you imagine what they must've been thinking? And I also heard when Efren came over and was at Red's tourney in Houston in 84, one of the American world-beaters asked Rempe ( who had seen him play already ), 'How's this guy play?" And supposedly, Rempe said "No problem... he's got a funny little pump-house stroke. No problem at all."

Talk about famous last words. :cool:

I think i heard one of the commentators said king rempe played efren for 40 grand and jim came out on top.

Can anyone share any insights ?

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I think i heard one of the commentators said king rempe played efren for 40 grand and jim came out on top.

Can anyone share any insights ?

Never heard that but wouldn't shake my world if true. Rempe was absolutely one of the best players alive when he was in his prime. He just, seemingly, wasn't overly impressed by Efren after seeing him play initially. Thus, the "Pump-house stroke." comment. I'm guessing if you asked him say, 5 years later, if he still felt Efren would be "No problem.", Rempe would've given a different answer.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go AccuStats and get the mach between him and Earl, talk about running out!

Yep, got that one!.. there's also a match, I think vs. Archer, where Parica was just in dead stroke, had to kick an 8 ball in that was froze on the t*t, perfect kick. And a nice little masse' billiard for a 9 ball... I'll see if I can find it.

RE: BCA Hall Of Fame... IMO I think they're not as relevant in today's pool world, kind of stuck in the past. Sort of like the Grammys... best Heavy Metal album? Jethro Tull!
WTF?

Keep 'em coming, guys... more Parica stories & pictures!

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Yep, got that one!.. there's also a match, I think vs. Archer, where Parica was just in dead stroke, had to kick an 8 ball in that was froze on the t*t, perfect kick. And a nice little masse' billiard for a 9 ball... I'll see if I can find it.

RE: BCA Hall Of Fame... IMO I think they're not as relevant in today's pool world, kind of stuck in the past. Sort of like the Grammys... best Heavy Metal album? Jethro Tull!
WTF?

Keep 'em coming, guys... more Parica stories & pictures!

I just posted this a few days ago in another thread but since this thread is specifically about Jose, here goes again:

I was at a tournament at C.M. Lee's in Seminole, Fl @ late 80s and a ton of great players were there, including Parica, Wade Crane, Mike LeBron, Tommy Kennedy, Mizerak, etc... I was leaning against a table, sweating a match. Mizerak was sitting in a folding chair at the corner of the same table, sweating the same match. Jose walks up to him and he's the same height standing up as Mizerak is sitting down. Parica says to him, "You got the 8 ball, fat man!" Mizerak just looks at him, doesn't say a word. Parica walks away. And I remember thinking as he walked away the HUGE difference between how tall he was and how big his game was. :grin:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

I believe it was even earlier than that, about 1981. Jose finished something like tied for 9th place. It may have been his first time playing 14.1. After the tournament Mizerak (our best 14.1 player at the time) tried to give Jose fifty balls going to 150 and Jose roasted him. That was when the East Coast crowd got the message. The rest of the country didn't find out how good he was until that fateful return visit to the USA in 1985, when Jose hustled his way across America.

His stop in Houston at LeCue was the most eventful. He played one champion after another Ten Ball, giving spots to all of them. They kept bringing in new players to challenge him to no avail (James Christopher and David Howard among them). Finally they brought in the big gun - EARL! Jose ground Earl down to where he was getting the nine ball at the end. It made no difference, Jose had shown his superiority to the American players and they never forgot that week in Houston. Buddy refused to play him and never did. After that week, Jose ruled 9-Ball and Ten Ball in America for the next twenty years, similar to what Efren accomplished in One Pocket.

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I believe it was even earlier than that, about 1981. Jose finished something like tied for 9th place. It may have been his first time playing 14.1. After the tournament Mizerak (our best 14.1 player at the time) tried to give Jose fifty balls going to 150 and Jose roasted him. That was when the East Coast crowd got the message. The rest of the country didn't find out how good he was until that fateful return visit to the USA in 1985, when Jose hustled his way across America.

His stop in Houston at LeCue was the most eventful. He played one champion after another Ten Ball, giving spots to all of them. They kept bringing in new players to challenge him to no avail. Finally they brought in the big gun - EARL! Jose ground Earl down to where he was getting the nine ball at the end. It made no difference, Jose had shown his superiority to the American players and they never forgot that week in Houston. Buddy refused to play him and never did. After that week, Jose ruled 9-Ball and Ten Ball in America for the next twenty years, similar to what Efren accomplished in One Pocket.

Yup... one hell of a player, Jay. Still is, last time I saw him play @ 4 years ago. Just S T R O N G medicine. :eek: