joss on ebay is this guy full of hot air?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think he got Franklin mixed up with Stroud.

The age of the cue seems valid...Joss went to 14 threads after.
He could've showed the logo.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never heard that Jerry worked with anyone on the East coast, let alone Joss. And, COA are not worth the paper they're printed on. Price much, much too high.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Obviously Franklin didn't work on the cue, but it is an early Joss, probably Dan Janes and Bill Stroud. This one, looking at the joint collars, may have even been before Tim Scruggs was a part of Joss.

I see some hopefuls quickly wanting to diss the price, but I'm not so sure. Appears to be original Cortland linen wrap, and a piece of early Joss history. Those simple box joint collars were used on their earliest cues, along with plain black collars, so this one is early. I wasn't aware that Joss used nickel silver for joints, and I find it amazing that the seller would even know this, without knowing that Franklin had nothing to do with Joss.

My one observation would be that the rubber bumper appears to have been replaced at some point.

Whatever, this one is pretty interesting, and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets close to the asking price.

All the best,
WW

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Dear duggan261,

Jerry NEVER worked with or for Janes, a COA claiming Jerry did work with Janes or made this cue isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Try asking Janes if Jerry worked with him or in his shop.

IIRC Scruggs, Stroud and perhaps Frey worked in the Janes shop in the early days.

(message sent to the person listing the early JOSS)

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Dear duggan261,

Jerry NEVER worked with or for Janes, a COA claiming Jerry did work with Janes or made this cue isn't worth the paper it's written on.

IIRC Scruggs, Stroud and perhaps Frey worked in the Janes shop in the early days.

Correct, except that Frey didn't work with Joss. He started with Tim Scruggs, when Tim went on his own.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Obviously Franklin didn't work on the cue, but it is an early Joss, probably Dan Janes and Bill Stroud. This one, looking at the joint collars, may have even been before Tim Scruggs was a part of Joss.

I see some hopefuls quickly wanting to diss the price, but I'm not so sure. Appears to be original Cortland linen wrap, and a piece of early Joss history. Those simple box joint collars were used on their earliest cues, along with plain black collars, so this one is early. I wasn't aware that Joss used nickel silver for joints, and I find it amazing that the seller would even know this, without knowing that Franklin had nothing to do with Joss.

My one observation would be that the rubber bumper appears to have been replaced at some point.

Whatever, this one is pretty interesting, and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets close to the asking price.

All the best,
WW

When I ordered my first Joss back in 1990, (a J15 stolen soon after I got it) "German Nickel Silver" was an optional upgrade for the joint, as well as scroll work engraving. A buddy who owned a pool room (who I ordered my cue through, a bit before online ordering :wink:) had one, but I didn't care for the look.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear duggan261,

Mike Sigel worked in the Joss cue shop for a time as well.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably worthless to a "player" as for this price you can get nicer hardware. Plus the shafts are definately not LD haha :D
Probably worth the price to a collector who is after a certain model or year. But the "paperwork" is seedy and the seller tries way too hard to prove something.

On a side note: It's not even really pretty, more of a "meh". :sorry: The white wrap ruins it completely.
The new natural series plain janes that Mezz, Fury, Cuetec, Universal or Viking have are stunning in comparison!

Cheers!

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All the best,
WW

Not to be argumentative, but it sure doesn't look like Cortland to me, Way too white
and the green specks are way too bright.

Dale

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's Cortland wrap for certain. It's early Joss for certain and it will sell for about 850.
The documentation makes him look unaware and over eager. Anybody looking to buy it must already know where it was made and what time period. If they know that, they can determine who likely made it...Stroud cue imo.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
It's Cortland wrap for certain. It's early Joss for certain and it will sell for about 850.
The documentation makes him look unaware and over eager. Anybody looking to buy it must already know where it was made and what time period. If they know that, they can determine who likely made it...Stroud cue imo.

Lol, what does this Stroud-era cue sell for?

This is pre-72 for certain. Has more work and better woods. Plus it has an original KU bumper (not pictured)

I know what this cue will top out at. If you say that PJ will sell for 850, I'm curious to know what this sells for.

Attachments

• IMG_20151205_064219_01.jpg
    IMG_20151205_064219_01.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_20151205_064220_01.jpg
    IMG_20151205_064220_01.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 640

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Look at ideo's pic to see what real Cortland looks like.

Dale(who has seen a few)

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member

$850....is that what you have your reserve set at for your cue? :)

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IF it's Cortland, and, I'd say it's a big if, the cue has had very little use or been re-wrapped and had little use. Been refinished, maybe.

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Of course Jerry didnt work for Joss but why is the price out of line? If the cue is original, straight, and sound, $999 isnt out of line.. Its a rare sirvivor.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Look at ideo's pic to see what real Cortland looks like.

Dale(who has seen a few)

Looks like Cortland to me Dale... More whitish in color with faded green spec. If the spec were darker then id be suspect but thats not the case.. Ideo's may be as well but it looks more like it wouldnt be than the ebay cue...