Judd Trump says he'll give pool another try

gerryf

Judd Trump says he'll give pool another try.

He said: “I think I will do it again, as a sport it is on the up. I like travelling to America anyway, and it is good to play a sport in another country."

“I had a lot more support from fans than I was expecting, and there were enough positives to make me do it again. A week’s practice and I’d still be in the tournament."

“I honestly think I was at about five per cent of the level I could reach so that gives you hope, and it was nice to play Jayson Shaw, one of the real top pool players."

“You see the level in a match like that, and he could go close to winning it. But other top players who have won events recently went out in the same round I did."

“It is very cut-throat. People think snooker best-of-five and best-of-seven frame matches are cut-throat, but this is a different level."

“This was a bit of a last-minute thing, and they knew I hadn’t had much chance to practice properly and get my head around the game. Next time I’d like to expect to win more."

"And I think the thing that has been made clear to me is that I would definitely want to put some serious hours in another time."

“But I liked it enough to do that, and it is certainly something I’d like to delve into again in the future. I might try and play a few top players in practice."

“There is a lot to it on the safety side, usually in snooker you put a ball near a cushion, but in pool that doesn’t work because you lose the frame every time and you must be more precise.”

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He said: “I think I will do it again, as a sport it is on the up. I like travelling to America anyway, and it is good to play a sport in another country."

“I had a lot more support from fans than I was expecting, and there were enough positives to make me do it again. A week’s practice and I’d still be in the tournament."

“I honestly think I was at about five per cent of the level I could reach so that gives you hope, and it was nice to play Jayson Shaw, one of the real top pool players."

“You see the level in a match like that, and he could go close to winning it. But other top players who have won events recently went out in the same round I did."

“It is very cut-throat. People think snooker best-of-five and best-of-seven frame matches are cut-throat, but this is a different level."

“This was a bit of a last-minute thing, and they knew I hadn’t had much chance to practice properly and get my head around the game. Next time I’d like to expect to win more."

"And I think the thing that has been made clear to me is that I would definitely want to put some serious hours in another time."

“But I liked it enough to do that, and it is certainly something I’d like to delve into again in the future. I might try and play a few top players in practice."

“There is a lot to it on the safety side, usually in snooker you put a ball near a cushion, but in pool that doesn’t work because you lose the frame every time and you must be more precise.”
I'd imagine Matchroom will offer 'encouragement' to a few snooker players for the UK Open next year!

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd imagine Matchroom will offer 'encouragement' to a few snooker players for the UK Open next year!
I think there will also be a few English 8 Ball players doing a bit more than their usual "dabbling" at 9 ball in the coming months.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good ,,, what about you ?????

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t believe he’s one to exaggerate and if he says he thinks he only played 5% of level he believes he can reach that’s kind of scary! Of course I’m not naive enough to think it translates into him crushing all top level players either. Interesting comment though

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am very happy to hear this. His recent performance was just fine considering his lack of pool knowledge and his name and reputation added a lot of interest to this US Open.. So yeah I hope he does come again and brings some more of the snooker crowd with him...

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I'd have to say I hope many snooker players start to play more in pool events if it generates the type of interest that Judd's playing in the open did. People like to say that they don't want snooker players playing and doing well because it would give the snooker snobs ammo to say that pool players aren't as good.

I say, who gives a shit. We need some fresh blood pumping into this sport and if matchroom starts to work on marketing pool to the point that it brings in some big time sponsors and elevates pool to the level it deserves, I say bring em' on in. Let em' dominate even. I promise, if being a professional pool player becomes viable for more people, you will see Americans come out of the woodwork that you've never heard of or never thought capable of competing.

Jaden

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome aboard. Judd Trump being involved in pool brings more interest in the sport and that's exactly what pool needs.

I don't think he has any chance to win unless he abandons snooker and goes full time into pool which would be a big mistake because there is far more money in snooker but it's great to have him involved.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I don’t believe he’s one to exaggerate and if he says he thinks he only played 5% of level he believes he can reach that’s kind of scary! Of course I’m not naive enough to think it translates into him crushing all top level players either. Interesting comment though
I would say the comment is almost insane.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
While no one can suggest that Judd lacks the cueing skills to be a very accomplished pool player, count me among those that doesn't think Judd will ever be one of the top pool players. For starters, it is highly improbable that he'll ever invest the kind of time that it would take, given that snooker practice will always generate more income for him. Second, the learning path is a long one.

That said, I think it's great that he's trying his hand at pool, and while it's hard to see his participation as anything other than a marketing gimmick intended to generate some crossover fans from snooker, he brings energy to pool whenever he competes at it. Judd is very good for pool, and he is both welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
While no one can suggest that Judd lacks the cueing skills to be a very accomplished pool player, count me among those that doesn't think Judd will ever be one of the top pool players. For starters, it is highly improbable that he'll ever invest the kind of time that it would take, given that snooker practice will always generate more income for him. Second, the learning path is a long one.

That said, I think it's great that he's trying his hand at pool, and while it's hard to see his participation as anything other than a marketing gimmick intend to generate some crossover fans from snooker, he brings energy to pool whenever he competes at it. Judd is very good for pool, and he is both welcomed and appreciated.
Maybe I am reading to much into this but, I got the impression they wanted to show how inferior pool is, in their opinion, to snooker.

A snooker player who doesn't even play the game was going to come and beat the top pool players no problem.
Then after losing he tries to spin it with the rediclous 5 percent comment.

middleofnowhere

Registered

That said, I think it's great that he's trying his hand at pool, and while it's hard to see his participation as anything other than a marketing gimmick intend to generate some crossover fans from snooker, he brings energy to pool whenever he competes at it. Judd is very good for pool, and he is both welcomed and appreciated.
Maybe I am reading to much into this but, I got the impression they wanted to show how inferior pool is, in their opinion, to snooker.

A snooker player who doesn't even play the game was going to come and beat the top pool players no problem.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member

Who cares what the player's motivations are. Let them defend their egos all they want. If they have to start playing pool 10 hours a day in the off season to try and PROVE they're better than pool players, let them.

The REASON they are playing in the pool events is because matchroom is asking them to and because it looks like matchroom is starting to do what they do best, promote pool. That's nothing but good for pool and I say, keep em' coming.

Jaden

middleofnowhere

Registered
Who cares what the player's motivations are. Let them defend their egos all they want. If they have to start playing pool 10 hours a day in the off season to try and PROVE they're better than pool players, let them.

The REASON they are playing in the pool events is because matchroom is asking them to and because it looks like matchroom is starting to do what they do best, promote pool. That's nothing but good for pool and I say, keep em' coming.

Jaden
I'd say as long as you don't have to travel across the pond why wouldn't snooker players enter all the pool tournaments that matchroom puts on if they're in Europe.

I can't see the top snooker players though jeopardizing their snooker game fooling around with another game like pool that has no money in it. They might play just for the heck of playing but I don't see them dedicating any serious time to it.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That makes no sense at all...Matchroom want to promote pool, so the last thing they would want is to show its 'inferior'!!!!

They brought Judd across as they knew it would generate interest in the UK media (which it did).

His match against Jayson Shaw was essentially the dream for them, as it showed how a top level pool pro has a significant edge and not even a World class snooker pro can just turn up and win.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there will also be a few English 8 Ball players doing a bit more than their usual "dabbling" at 9 ball in the coming months.

Yep, thats probably very true, incidentally Mark Selby and Gareth Potts play tomorrow night (UK time), no idea if you can watch from outside the UK though!

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Yeah that's just some BS there if he's saying he will get 20x better at the game.
He played well. 20x better than that would be something I've never seen.
I don't think he finishes top 4 with another week of practice, either.
He will undoubtedly improve with practice and I have no idea what his ceiling is.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
That makes no sense at all...Matchroom want to promote pool, so the last thing they would want is to show its 'inferior'!!!!

They brought Judd across as they knew it would generate interest in the UK media (which it did).

His match against Jayson Shaw was essentially the dream for them, as it showed how a top level pool pro has a significant edge and not even a World class snooker pro can just turn up and win.
Agreed 100%.