Judd Trump to play U.S. Open.................

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Starting to wonder if a UK Open is likely to supplement the overall Matchroom calendar or whether it will overtake and overshadow the US Open due to geographic convenience for where the best players are located.
Although we may see a UK Open, I don’t see it overshadowing the US Open. Matchroom probably likes the history and tradition of that tournament. A new tournament would need many years of successful iterations before they could start push it to the forefront. But I do think Matchroom will likely want to develop a third pool singles major if their objective is to develop a professional tour.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Starting to wonder if a UK Open is likely to supplement the overall Matchroom calendar or whether it will overtake and overshadow the US Open due to geographic convenience for where the best players are located.
I can imagine a UK (London? European?) Open. For a long time Matchroom's largest event each year was maybe 64 players. Then in 2019 they did their first edition of the US Open at Mandalay Bay with 256. I think they're pretty happy with how that large-entry event has turned out. Now they also have the World Championships with 128. Adding a large Open event in Europe seems like a reasonable if not obvious move assuming the other productions go well.

Geosnookery

Although we may see a UK Open, I don’t see it overshadowing the US Open. Matchroom probably likes the history and tradition of that tournament. A new tournament would need many years of successful iterations before they could start push it to the forefront. But I do think Matchroom will likely want to develop a third pool singles major if their objective is to develop a professional tour.
A big variable wih a potential UK Open is ‘who participates?’. About 25 of the top 128 ranking Snookerplayers are Chinese who reside in Britain. Most of them play Chinese 8 ball. And, If Selby, Trump enter then it could create a momentum that draws in a lot of participation from not only ranked British players but those going through Q school.

Most snooker fans in both Britain abd China would then be watching.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
A big variable wih a potential UK Open is ‘who participates?’. About 25 of the top 128 ranking Snookerplayers are Chinese who reside in Britain. Most of them play Chinese 8 ball. And, If Selby, Trump enter then it could create a momentum that draws in a lot of participation from not only ranked British players but those going through Q school.

Most snooker fans in both Britain abd China would then be watching.
It would have to be scheduled just right to avoid the snooker calendar. Late June is probably the best time for snooker players since it’s far enough away from the world championships that the players get a break, but still a few weeks away from the championship league in July. But I think the world championships currently occupies that calendar spot. And I’m less keen on filling the World Pool Championships with snooker players.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
For me, the question is whether Judd Trump beats any pro speed pool players. For me, a pro speed player is at least Fargo 725.

I'm guessing the answer is no, but I'd love to be wrong on this occasion.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny the posters who claim Trump doesn't need any sponsors are probably the same guys who lament no money in "Professional" pool?

I am thrilled he is competing ! Look at all the publicity it is generating. If he goes far it will continue to buzz.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
you might wanna check out tony drago's journey into pool. plenty of matches on youtube:

pockets were looser back then, but drago had some great performances after switching to pool. just as in snooker he was appreciated among fans
Yup, might want to check out Tony Drago:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just saying. Emily Frazer is already hinting about it in interviews. It’ll likely coming. Matchroom seems to promote all their events equally in terms of promoting them all to the maximum.

It’s likely an easier travel for anyone from Europe and Asia. You could get a lot of world class players with less hassle. You might get a stronger field to show up. I don’t think it’s about how they push it. I think it simply has a logistical advantage that could evolve it their organically over time.

As an experiment in promotion, Judd appearance has clearly been a massive hit. I’m sure there are plenty of UK Pool fans who love the game, but even the World Championship was very much under the radar. Matchroom know what they are doing, having Judd involved has created lots of buzz. Now everyone it seems with passing interest in cue sports knows about the event. Which I’m sure will equal more armchair interest.

Regarding a potential UK Open, if Matchroom are looking to grow the game, then they need to create and foundation of “major” tournaments to expand the game from. If the had a World Championship, US Open and UK Open, then you have a springboard to success.

If you look back over the history of Snooker, in the good times and bad, one big benefit has been to have three tournaments that have always been on the calendar and in the public consciousness. Those being the Masters the UK and the Worlds. Although this happened more by luck than design having these events as a constant and always available on the BBC always kept the game in the public eye. You can argue they acted as a foundation that the rest of the tour built on to create the multi million pound circuit we have today.

It takes time but this is possible, as the more I look into Pool history the more I find. Obviously the Mosconi Cup seems a massive event, but in its infancy this was built (at least on this side on the Atlantic) on Snooker players participating to generate interest. Now it stands on its own history as a big event. There is no reason not to use the same model again, get Snooker players in to help create interest, get more people watching. Then eventually the event stands on its own merits.

There is a challenge fitting such a tournament into an already packed calendar but If Matchroom can do the same and create some big “major” events, then Pool has the potential to become a big money spinning sport.

The other point that occurs to me looking back at recent history is just how badly the game has been run up to this point. Another poster replied to me saying that before Matchroom got involved the last few world championships were held in a warehouse in the Middle East. Which a quick look at YouTube shows a tournament in a soulless warehouse with zero atmosphere. This to me is decision making bordering on lunacy and incompetence at the highest level. If Pool is to grow, then whoever is running the game has been holding it back, and needs to just worry about managing the rules and let, people who understand business run the tournaments.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an experiment in promotion, Judd appearance has clearly been a massive hit. I’m sure there are plenty of UK Pool fans who love the game, but even the World Championship was very much under the radar. Matchroom know what they are doing, having Judd involved has created lots of buzz. Now everyone it seems with passing interest in cue sports knows about the event. Which I’m sure will equal more armchair interest.

Regarding a potential UK Open, if Matchroom are looking to grow the game, then they need to create and foundation of “major” tournaments to expand the game from. If the had a World Championship, US Open and UK Open, then you have a springboard to success.

If you look back over the history of Snooker, in the good times and bad, one big benefit has been to have three tournaments that have always been on the calendar and in the public consciousness. Those being the Masters the UK and the Worlds. Although this happened more by luck than design having these events as a constant and always available on the BBC always kept the game in the public eye. You can argue they acted as a foundation that the rest of the tour built on to create the multi million pound circuit we have today.

It takes time but this is possible, as the more I look into Pool history the more I find. Obviously the Mosconi Cup seems a massive event, but in its infancy this was built (at least on this side on the Atlantic) on Snooker players participating to generate interest. Now it stands on its own history as a big event. There is no reason not to use the same model again, get Snooker players in to help create interest, get more people watching. Then eventually the event stands on its own merits.

There is a challenge fitting such a tournament into an already packed calendar but If Matchroom can do the same and create some big “major” events, then Pool has the potential to become a big money spinning sport.

The other point that occurs to me looking back at recent history is just how badly the game has been run up to this point. Another poster replied to me saying that before Matchroom got involved the last few world championships were held in a warehouse in the Middle East. Which a quick look at YouTube shows a tournament in a soulless warehouse with zero atmosphere. This to me is decision making bordering on lunacy and incompetence at the highest level. If Pool is to grow, then whoever is running the game has been holding it back, and needs to just worry about managing the rules and let, people who understand business run the tournaments.
Matchroom are streaming the tournament for free in the UK, which is certainly going to help

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, the question is whether Judd Trump beats any pro speed pool players. For me, a pro speed player is at least Fargo 725.

I'm guessing the answer is no, but I'd love to be wrong on this occasion.
Steve Davis did more than OK. Davis is arguably the greatest safety player of all time (although Selby might be now nudging him out) and that would have given him a step up in adapting to the thinking element of rotation pool. But I think Judd Trump would be more of a natural on a pool table with his stroke. I'd give him a 40% chance against most pro speed players in a race to 9 or 11. So yes, this makes him a huge underdog in a tournament but if he is coming to play he will win some matches.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he's going to be using his snooker cues, and the promo videos he did were just playing around with whatever cue was at the promo facility. I play pool, 3C, and even the bigger korean 4 ball billiard game just fine with my pool cue.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he's going to be using his snooker cues, and the promo videos he did were just playing around with whatever cue was at the promo facility. I play pool, 3C, and even the bigger korean 4 ball billiard game just fine with my pool cue.
Definitely said he's getting a new cue. Maybe he'll stick with maple though, as he hasn't used CF before. Don't think he'd risk damaging his snooker cue. He's had that John Parris for a long time and won a lot with it.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd be curious if him playing in this event was part of the reason they changed the break rules. For the best players, him included, the preliminary stage of this event is going to nearly be a coin-flip.

I'm sure given a month he will be able to figure out how to get shape on the one after the break while the wired wing ball goes in. There will be very little safety play involved as well as the spreads will be very predictable. Judd will be a very difficult out in this format.