JUMP CUE ISSUE SOLVED ?

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If both players can do it, what's the issue? Sure it might take less skill than a good kick, but at least both players can use it. It prevents lazy safety play. That speeds up the game and also encourages better safeties. Lock em up tight enough that shorty can't bail them out.
If both players can do it then there is no issue with fairness. I have a jump cue and will jump. It's also fine for my opponent to jump - because jump shots are allowed. By saying what I've just said, I'm not saying I agree that jump shots should be allowed. "It's the same for both players" is a not a good argument because it would be the same for both players whatever the rules are (assuming the rules are not really weird and favour one player over the other).

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
In other words, he recovered from a poor shot by making a shot that was more difficult than it would’ve been had he not missed the shape.

Good for him.
In other words, a poor positional play which most probably would have been penalized (or at least result in a loss of an inning at the table) - was not.

A 4-rail kick around the angles performed by Biado in the final match was a beauty! Unfortunately it resulted in a fould shot due to no rail contact, but that was exactly how this game should be played. Knowledge and skill at its finest.

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn’t be opposed to not being allowed to jump out of my own mistakes but not for completely banning as it’s just another skill and I feel some are better than others at it like Fedor Gorst. Sure the average player can jump but not as well as the elite and the average player isn’t going to jump then proceed to run a 5 pack on you. I think it brings excitement. It was pure drama for me when Chua passed the push out jump shot to Oi. I was yelling for Chua to take the risk!

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
If both players can do it then there is no issue with fairness. I have a jump cue and will jump. It's also fine for my opponent to jump - because jump shots are allowed. By saying what I've just said, I'm not saying I agree that jump shots should be allowed. "It's the same for both players" is a not a good argument because it would be the same for both players whatever the rules are (assuming the rules are not really weird and favour one player over the other).
So how about this: In any tournament or league you are in charge of, ban jump cues. That was easy wasn't it?

Whatever way anyone feels about jump cues, it doesn't really matter unless you are the one putting on the event. If you don't like events allowing jump cues, don't play. I get what you mean but nothing will be solved by this thread and no opinions will change from one side to the other.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Carl Biado just hit a horrible shot snookered himself behind the 6ball, what happened next? absolutely nothing, he came out smelling like roses with the shorty, absolutely no penalty. Nothing happened, just bring shorty and you're out and running again lol.

View attachment 610154
I took the time to find this situation as it seemed odd that he hit a "horrible" shot to get on the 1. In fact it was not a horrible play, but an unfortunately result from a combo. He clearly planned on the 1 to run up table slightly which would have given him a clean shot on the 1. That is beside the point of course. Just thought I'd add some realism to the horrible bias some are displaying in the thread.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So how about this: In any tournament or league you are in charge of, ban jump cues. That was easy wasn't it?

Whatever way anyone feels about jump cues, it doesn't really matter unless you are the one putting on the event. If you don't like events allowing jump cues, don't play. I get what you mean but nothing will be solved by this thread and no opinions will change from one side to the other.
When you put in your own time, effort, and money to run your own tournament, you can do that.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the proper golf analogy would be a golfer hooking himself behind a tree then grabbing a chainsaw and cutting the tree down. I don't think many golf organizations would approve of that but it is a good equivalent to a jump cue in pool.

I respectfully suggest my analogy is a tiny bit better than yours...

A chainsaw is not approved golf equipment, a jump cue is*.

A chainsaw involves destroying something, a jump cue doesn't.

It is not a good equivalent in my opinion.

*approved equipment, obviously not for golf ;-)

Last edited:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you may “struggle” when you play pool, so you need little toys to help you along.

Whether I struggle or not is surely irrelevant?

I could be a complete banger or a world champion, I would still use a legally permitted piece of equipment to my advantage if I could.

If jump cues were banned, I wouldn't use them. As they aren't I will use them if I think there is value in the shot.

As I've already said, I rarely jump, as for me personally there is often more value in kicking. However if I see value in the jump shot I will happily jump.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whether I struggle or not is surely irrelevant?

I could be a complete banger or a world champion, I would still use a legally permitted piece of equipment to my advantage if I could.

If jump cues were banned, I wouldn't use them. As they aren't I will use them if I think there is value in the shot.

As I've already said, I rarely jump, as for me personally there is often more value in kicking. However if I see value in the jump shot I will happily jump.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golfers have caddies that they discuss shots with.

Can I have Earl Strickland as my caddie every match?

I struggle to see how that is remotely relevant to this discussion...I'm not sure many golfers in a bunker are asking the caddie whether they should use a driver?

I appreciate you are trying to suggest my golf analogy is rubbish, fair enough, but at least I've attempted to outline a counter view you've just tried to belittle my opinion without actually explaining why you feel it's wrong (which is fine btw, I don't mind, but you won't win many people over with that approach).

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I struggle to see how that is remotely relevant to this discussion...I'm not sure many golfers in a bunker are asking the caddie whether they should use a driver?

I appreciate you are trying to suggest my golf analogy is rubbish, fair enough, but at least I've attempted to outline a counter view you've just tried to belittle my opinion without actually explaining why you feel it's wrong (which is fine btw, I don't mind, but you won't win many people over with that approach).
Or we could bring one of these to the table when we can’t reach over a big cluster of balls.

79D23EEC-9BE3-4033-A645-10AF04849D7A.jpeg

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I rarely use one.

You can get rid of it, too.

Learn how to play position so that you don’t have to utilize the bridge.

Fair enough, it's a valid view, although personally I wouldn't be in favour as I'm short and need it far more than most!

But as with the jump cue, if its legal I'll use it, if its not I won't!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am so glad some of you aren’t in charge of things, we would still be back in the stone ages. Who needs an oven, you can rub sticks and make fire!

YEP.

Who needs an old stone-aged game when the new-age people can play virtual pool on their phones and save money to move out of the basement.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imagine the CB on the rail surrounded by 7 balls numbered from 3-9 with the 1-ball and 2-ball outside of the enclosure.

If confronted with the above situation, and the no-jump-cue rule, are you just going to pick up the CB and hand it to your opponent ?

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I've just came up with an idea (sorry golf addicts ;) ) If a player changes cues midway into the rack, he(she) continues playing with this very cue until the end of his(her) inning! :D
Imagine running out with a shorty, LOL

Imagine the CB on the rail surrounded by 7 balls numbered from 3-9 with the 1-ball and 2-ball outside of the enclosure.

If confronted with the above situation, and the no-jump-cue rule, are you just going to pick up the CB and hand it to your opponent ?
A player must make a shot, i.e. drive the cue ball with the stroking motion of his cue. Trying to pass turn in a manner you described is unsportsmanlike conduct, under official rules of play.
Hence, even in such a situation a player is expected to make a move, as if playing chess. Change the position of the balls, even slightly. In case both players don't wish to disturb the position due to risk of losing the rack, three turns at the table with no obvious proceeding to the end of the rack results in a stalemate. Again, see world rules for this one.

Last edited: