JUMP CUE ISSUE SOLVED ?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imagine the CB on the rail surrounded by 7 balls numbered from 3-9 with the 1-ball and 2-ball outside of the enclosure.

If confronted with the above situation, and the no-jump-cue rule, are you just going to pick up the CB and hand it to your opponent ?
Maybe after I purposely tie up some of their balls. I've done it several times when there is no other option.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've just came up with an idea (sorry golf addicts ;) ) If a player changes cues midway into the rack, he(she) continues playing with this very cue until the end of his(her) inning! :D
Imagine running out with a shorty, LOL

A player must make a shot, i.e. drive the cue ball with the stroking motion of his cue. Trying to pass turn in a manner you described is unsportsmanlike conduct, under official rules of play.
Hence, even in such a situation a player is expected to make a move, as if playing chess. Change the position of the balls, even slightly. In case both players don't wish to disturb the position due to risk of losing the rack, three turns at the table with no obvious proceeding to the end of the rack results in a stalemate. Again, see world rules for this one.
Not if he lets the shot clock expire! Let’s combine threads!😂😂😂

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Imagine the CB on the rail surrounded by 7 balls numbered from 3-9 with the 1-ball and 2-ball outside of the enclosure.

If confronted with the above situation, and the no-jump-cue rule, are you just going to pick up the CB and hand it to your opponent ?

Jump with your playing cue.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I struggle to see why its not like golf (in the sense that you simply use the most appropriate tool for the job, whats the difference?), the bunker analogy is surely exactly the same as hooking yourself is it not?

I do agree with you that modern jump cues make jumping very easy, however modern equipment in all sports does that, its simply down to the players to increase their skill levels.
So much This!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

No, I would do what pool players have been doing for years, try to tie up 2 balls to make the run out more difficult. I have seen pros do this many times on match videos.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jump with your playing cue.
There is a problem with that. Compare a guy who likes to use a soft tip on their play cue to a guy that likes to play with a hard tip. Which one has the jumping advantage? Would it be fair?

Last edited:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell that to the room owners who do not allow jumping on their tables.

Fair enough to some extent, but the odd mark on the cloth isn't quite the same as taking a chainsaw to a tree on a golf course (owners discretion of course, not suggesting otherwise, just clarifying its not the same thing)!!!

Avathar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally hate and love those "cheat sticks" ... cannot really make my mind up on them ... on one hand jumping adds another skillset to the game (I mean there are players who repeatedly can jump, make balls and play position at the same time), but htey also give beinners a cheap excuse to not learn some fundamentals about kicking and cue ball control (though after reaching a certain level that will of course change, I just prefer to first learn the basics and then teach the work arounds) .. .but if a player handles the jump cue like Nils Feijen and others, it is actually great sport again

chenjy9

Pool/Billiards/Snooker is a game about hitting (poking really) balls with sticks. Last time I checked, a jump cue was still a stick and by no means altering either the nature or spirit of the game. What's the problem?

Everyone can buy the same jump cues, everyone can get good at it with practice, everyone can learn how to play more effective safeties. This entire debate is the epitome of making mountains out of molehills.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s funny most everyone thinks that the game needs to be tougher for professionals with tight pockets, 3 point rules, triangle racks, ect but that most of the same people think it’s fine for them to hook themselves and use a jump cue to easily get out of trouble.

Last edited:

eg9327

The worst thing about jump cues is damage to the table. Escaping a problem is not worth damagi g the cloth. Don't allow it.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It think it’s funny most everyone thinks that the game needs to be tougher for professionals with tight pockets, 3 point rules, triangle racks, ect but that most of the same people think it’s fine for them to hook themselves and use a jump cue to easily get out of trouble.

I think it’s funny that people actually think that good players are using their jump cues primarily to get out of trouble because they hooked themselves.

In reality, the vast majority of jumps are because the other guy played a crappy safe and allowed them the opportunity.

If you want to limit the other guy’s ability to jump, learn to play a better safe…