Jump Cue: What do you use

peter_gunn

])3a]) s']['rok3
Silver Member
Anyone use two jump cues? One for longer down table shots and the other for short soft close hops?

I use J/B cue locally made by my friend here in Croatia. With 2 shafts (maple with samsara tip and PH with ferrule-tip one piece phenolic) and butt have 2 joints. All 3 joins are the same type so i have 16 different combination for jump :D :D :D

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
not sure why people dont ask this more

First off, i would like to add that i have owned and or tried just about every freaking jump cue on the market... MOST, but not all.

And everytime i see someone asking a question about jump cues, i feel they leave out the key factor in the question...... IT DEPENDS ON HOW YOU JUMP.

There are 2 discernable methods to jumping, the standard elevated stroke method, and the "dart" method (some call it overhand, as if you were using a bridge).

You must first decide which method you prefer, or decide whether you want a cue that works well for both methods.

For standard elevated stroke me recommendations are:
J&J j/b
Xbreaker j/b
James Hanshew custom jumper
Lomax
Predator air (only for long shots)
Pechauer jump
lucasi jump cue L-2000 i think
lucasi air hog

For dart stroke:
Samsara jump
Jacoby jump
Predator air (only short)
X breaker j/b
James Hanshew
Chilton (the 2 shafter weird one LOL)

But... in closing, if you become proficient at jumping, you can use damn near anything that is front weighted, under 17oz and has a decently hard tip on it.

just my $.02

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
Anyone use two jump cues? One for longer down table shots and the other for short soft close hops?

I use my jump cue for short jumps. I use my playing cue for long jumps. I wish all my jumps were long jumps because my success rate is very high using my playing cue.

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member
I love my Icebreaker 2. The butt breaks into 3 pieces. Short handle for short jumps and long handle for long jumps (or other than dart method). Third handle for breaking. BTW, you could also break with the 3rd butt handle off for a super light/fast break cue. Great for 9-ball! The Icebreaker tip is the best legal brake tip I've found! Only leather touches the ball, but the surrounding phenolic casing makes it the hardest leather tip you'll ever break with!

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Omen J/B

I like my Omen J/B. It is a good jumper and breaker. You can use it as a player because the hit is real nice and the tip is leather.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 437

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's one of the reasons I own and use the Stealth jump cue. It comes in three pieces, and you just unscrew the end piece for shorter jumps. Best jump cue out there, imo. Retails for $100.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nineballsafety8...You're sorta right...but not exactly. You can jump with either technique...that's true. But the brand doesn't dictate that. I use and teach the dart style (penholder grip) for close jumps, a foot or less between the CB & OB. For longer jumps I screw on the 6" extension, and use a normal stroke...just with an elevated cue. I will say that most people who cannot jump easily are trying too hard, and/or are gripping too tightly.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

First off, i would like to add that i have owned and or tried just about every freaking jump cue on the market... MOST, but not all.

And everytime i see someone asking a question about jump cues, i feel they leave out the key factor in the question...... IT DEPENDS ON HOW YOU JUMP.

There are 2 discernable methods to jumping, the standard elevated stroke method, and the "dart" method (some call it overhand, as if you were using a bridge).

You must first decide which method you prefer, or decide whether you want a cue that works well for both methods.

For standard elevated stroke me recommendations are:
J&J j/b
Xbreaker j/b
James Hanshew custom jumper
Lomax
Predator air (only for long shots)
Pechauer jump
lucasi jump cue L-2000 i think
lucasi air hog

For dart stroke:
Samsara jump
Jacoby jump
Predator air (only short)
X breaker j/b
James Hanshew
Chilton (the 2 shafter weird one LOL)

But... in closing, if you become proficient at jumping, you can use damn near anything that is front weighted, under 17oz and has a decently hard tip on it.

just my $.02

1hit1der

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nineballsafety8...You're sorta right...but not exactly. You can jump with either technique...that's true. But the brand doesn't dictate that. I use and teach the dart style (penholder grip) for close jumps, a foot or less between the CB & OB. For longer jumps I screw on the 6" extension, and use a normal stroke...just with an elevated cue. I will say that most people who cannot jump easily are trying too hard, and/or are gripping too tightly.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I'm sure the cues were just his preferences for different styles, but his last line is most true: if you're proficient, you can jump with anything.

In typical pool game situations, a jump/break will do just fine. I like the X-breaker or Stinger. For dedicated jump cues, I could easily recommend a Bouska, Chilton, Poison, Stealth, or McDermott i-1 Big Boy with their jump handle.

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
Scott,
I feel kind of like an ass in "arguing" with you, as you have likely forgotten more about pool than i will ever know... but, i think you misunderstood what i meant.

I wasnt saying that each cur is designed to work with one jumping style. I simply feel that certain cues are "easier" to use with one certain stroke than another. Any jump cue can be used with an stroke, but I definitely feel that the more front weighted, and the lighter the jump cue gdts, the more it lends itself to the dart stroke.

I personally use a standard stroke, elevated and most every shot. Actually, its the only stroke I eill use during a match! The only time I switch to a dart stroke is if the OB is closer than 1.5 balls from the CB. And, if it was that close in a match... i just would attempt to jump it, the percentage of a well executed shot is just too low.

My main point, was to have a plan when buying a jump cue.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I find most people that cannot jump are letting their shoulder or upper arm come into play...no wrist action!

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
T.M. Jump/Break - $200

You can take the end piece off for a little longer than normal jump cue for long jump shots...you can also remove the middle piece and use just the end piece for short jumps.

any monkey can jump with this cue...and it makes even the weakest breaker look good.