Jumping/Pro Play

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mis-spoke with "need". Need implies that something is wrong. I don't believe there's anything wrong with the current state of the rules surrounding the jumper. That said, I agree with Stu that player's playing poor positional shots shouldn't have such a crutch to recover from they're lack of ability.

I prefer players reap what they sow. If they play poor position then they should suffer for it. Split the hair however you like, but we should all agree that a jumper makes recovering much easier work. Just like I think players performing weak safeties should get punished with the jumper. Those playing weak position shouldn't be bailed out with one either. Keeping all that in mind. I personally think the enhancement of the rules to only allow the jumper during first approach, a great way to keep the 3D dynamic and keep everyone accountable for poor play.
I like that option as well. I will admit that I remember a time where I actually played shape for a jump shot. I was so sure I was going to wind up buried behind a ball and the next ball was hanging near the opposite corner pocket. I felt like I was 98% sure to make the jump and continue my run, so I just accepted the jump shot. Worked out fine:D.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I came up pushing out, and I feel the game of 9 Ball lost a tremendous amount with the advent of Texas Express and jump cues. So many players no longer need or develop certain essential pool skills.

In fact -- let me crawl out on a limb here -- if we were all still playing push out, One Pocket would not be enjoying its current popularity. Please do not shoot the messenger as I am now a stone cold, evangelical convert to 1P. Just saying.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I'm a decent jumper, but I don't know a single person who thinks that having to pull out a jump cue because they missed position is preferable to not missing the position in the first place.
Not sure if I implied something otherwise but if I did, it wasn't intended.
If you miss position you're going to be punished. How much that punishment is depends on your skill. Whether those skills includes jumping, kicking, or otherwise extracting yourself, those who are better are going to suffer less punishment than those who are not.
Agreed.... However we're talking about a failure to perform shape that would normally end an inning, versus a simplistic jump that continues an inning that could potentially involve additional racks. If a player screws up so badly that they can't make the ball they were trying to make good on, then I don't think it inappropriate to believe their inning should end because of it.

Yes of course if a player puts effort into the skill of jumping, then they should be able to utilize that skill. However fundamentally speaking, jumping prowess shouldn't supersede CB control in terms of importance.
Regardless though, in every case, you're at more of a disadvantage to miss shape than you would be to have played it better in the first place.
It isn't a question if you're at a disadvantage or not. Simply a matter of how severely disadvantaged you are. In most cases, without a jump cue the odds are that you inning will end.

We should remind ourselves that the OP was referencing "pro play". I view a first approach rule to jump cues no differently than 4" pockets.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally like the use of jump cues. It's an exciting shot to watch.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I often do, I compare 9 ball to golf.
After the tee shot/after the break shot your playfield/layout offers many choices to proceed.
In golf, if you hit a ball right next to the tree there should be no way your able to jump over the tree and still advance your ball forward.
In pro pool these days, with skill levels on the rise, being beat by this tool I feel is not fair to the sport/players that travel for pro 9 ball events.
I know many are making a living off this hopper, but I don't think ''long term'' it helps this game, unless the player uses their playing cue.
I heard allot of good talk about DCC and no jumps allowed.

bm
Golfers have a bag full of clubs. So many times they can jump over a tree with a Higher lofted iron. Do you even play golf? Do you think if a tree is between you and the green there is no way but shooting sideways 😂 You can’t jump over a ball if your ball is right up against the other ball just like you can’t go over the tree if the ball is to close But if you have a little space you can get over it in both instances. This is a silly nonsensical comparison by someone who can’t or won’t learn how to jump so wants cry about it instead.

I completely agree. However there is an argument about players recovering from their own poor play with a jumper. As a huge jump cue fanboy. I still agree with Stu on this one and think that a good rule would be to only allow the short cue at first approach to the table. That's places importance on the skill of playing safe, and removes the jumper as a means to compensate for bad CB control.
Sounds great but my problem with it would be when pushing out there are many many times when you only have a push out to a jump shot. Would I still be able to jump then?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Can't or won't learn how to jump.... you nailed it Trob.

Thx for your opinion.....
My post was related to a regurgitation of what Stu said about the general attitude at DCC.... no jumpers seem to be OK is all.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never heard anyone that can jump well want to ban jump cue. ONLY people that have trouble jumping consistently.

I bought a jump cue close to 20 years ago and put in the time to use it very well. It is honestly one of the easiest shots in pool once you have the technique down. I'd put my jumping up against 80% of the top pros... it just isn't difficult at all with the right equipment.

BUT, I'm fine playing in a tournament where jump cue aren't allowed, but if they are, you better lock me up and not just go behind a blocker.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Sounds great but my problem with it would be when pushing out there are many many times when you only have a push out to a jump shot. Would I still be able to jump then?
Well the rule doesn't exist, so my take on it would be to use a "first approach" rule. That would include your opponent requesting you shoot your own push out. In theory, you've relinquished control of the table after your push out. You opponent voluntarily giving it back to you isn't a continuation of your inning.

That said, it would be a very interesting angle not to allow the returning player to use their jumper after a push out. 🤔

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
My post was related to a regurgitation of what Stu said about the general attitude at DCC.... no jumpers seem to be OK is all.
I'll mention it again that I'm a jump cue fanboy, and with that repeated, I'll also state that I have zero issue with tourney rules that forbid the use of jump cues specifically. However the whole "jumping is ok with a full cue" argument is weak imo. Like it's some special skill to swing harder and with reckless abandon towards the thin cloth we count on.

I had to double check but you did mention the DCC in the OP. However the topic has seemed to be the use of the jumper in the pro game. In the end, I don't think players really care. I've never heard of anyone refusing to play in an event because of a "no jump cue" rule being in place. Again though, this conversation hasn't played out like that's the topic. More so, if the jump cue should be allowed at all on the pro level.