keilwood for suckers

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would have a better chance of finding action if you told people who you were. There aren't many people out there looking to match up with some random people on the internet, who could be anybody, who is obnoxiously calling out random people on the internet.

Obnoxious is one word for it.

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Basically it’s what “works” for each. I have built for customers good white maple, ash (from grandpa’s tree), roasted maple, carbon fiber filled maple, and carbon fiber. My opinion, it is what customer feels works for them is the best. And players get better and older so what “works” can change. And love the sound a good hit makes.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Basically it’s what “works” for each. I have built for customers good white maple, ash (from grandpa’s tree), roasted maple, carbon fiber filled maple, and carbon fiber. My opinion, it is what customer feels works for them is the best. And players get better and older so what “works” can change. And love the sound a good hit makes.

I agree, I hesitated for a long time even try a CF shaft simply based on looks, no way I would put a black shaft on my cue unless it was black, and I would never play with a full black cue ;) Once I tried it I realized it wasn't for me but there are probably 10's of thousands of them out now and they clearly work well.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can this process be applied to existing finished shafts?

Given it's heated to high temperatures I'm not sure I would trust it on a shaft turned to final dimensions.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Someone asked about humidity effects on torrified wood. Once torrified the cell structure goes from open cell to closed cell in the wood making it extremely moisture resistant….it’s also very stable because of this and other effects of the process.

it also has issues with penetration of glues, stains and finishes we don’t normally see due to that closed cell characteristic. There’s no grain raising when using torrified wood and finishing and staining for example.

It’s not a new process, it’s been used for biomass, pellets and was first used in instruments about 20 years ago in Europe.

The Vikings torrified axe handles and ship building lumber. Lighter, greater rigidity and that gain of resistance to moisture.

The one down side is it does increase the brittleness.

The process removes hemicellulose and other non structural biomass from the wood. Sugars, pitch, sap etc. loss of hemicellulose happens naturally overtime in wood as it cures and it has a extremely long half life. Studies have shown possibly around 400 years from measuring levels in old Strads and others compared to new instruments.

If you’ve ever broken very old aged wood (75-100+ years) you will notice it breaks and shears very individual needle like across its section instead of more the “tearing” kind of shear normally seen. That’s the structure of the cells becoming more closed and crystalline like with a brittleness. From loss of polysaccharides like the hemicellulose.

That has a negative effect on vibration the cellulose and lignin can optimally provide with a high consistency through its entire surface. Hence the hoopla over the old Stradivarius instruments and others.

Under magnification torrified wood besides the darkening looks basically just like very very very aged cured wood.

So tho the whole harmonically balanced comment sounds completely pretentious ….but technically torrified wood would be the most harmonically consistent version of itself unless you have any maple that’s been drying for 400 years because it’s closed cell and more consistently homogeneous through and through since the hemicellulose and other various polysaccharides and other compounds are dramatically lessened if not wholly removed.

Knowing is half the battle whammo. The process isn’t for suckers it’s backed by tons of science and hundreds of years of application and we’re just now learning recently why the very old crazy cured and aged stuff is so good and fortification is merely a Man made aging process that makes immense haste of the natural process.

Naturally overtime wood only gets lighter in weight (due to loss of polysaccharides etc), darker, rigidity increases, brittleness increases and it’s cell structure transforms from open to closed cell (extremely long process)

We’re all suckers for the old aged stuff so your right being that it mimics it so very well, we’re gonna be suckers for torrified wood as well.

It’s one of the newer technologies we’re bringing into pool that imop actually isn’t gimmick bs. It’s fine material that’s got great qualities and it’s very stable. What more could one want?

-greyghost

JC

Coos Cues
Someone asked about humidity effects on torrified wood. Once torrified the cell structure goes from open cell to closed cell in the wood making it extremely moisture resistant….it’s also very stable because of this and other effects of the process.

it also has issues with penetration of glues, stains and finishes we don’t normally see due to that closed cell characteristic. There’s no grain raising when using torrified wood and finishing and staining for example.

It’s not a new process, it’s been used for biomass, pellets and was first used in instruments about 20 years ago in Europe.

The Vikings torrified axe handles and ship building lumber. Lighter, greater rigidity and that gain of resistance to moisture.

The process removes hemicellulose and other non structural biomass from the wood. Sugars, pitch, sap etc. loss of hemicellulose happens naturally overtime in wood as it cures and it has a extremely long half life. Studies have shown possibly around 400 years from measuring levels in old Strads and others compared to new instruments.

If you’ve ever broken very old aged wood (75-100+ years) you will notice it breaks and shears very individual needle like across its section instead of more the “tearing” kind of shear normally seen. That’s the structure of the cells becoming more closed and crystalline like with a brittleness. From loss of polysaccharides like the hemicellulose.

That has a negative effect on vibration the cellulose and lignin can optimally provide with a high consistency through its entire surface. Hence the hoopla over the old Stradivarius instruments and others.

Under magnification torrified wood besides the darkening looks basically just like very very very aged cured wood.

So tho the whole harmonically balanced comment sounds completely pretentious ….but technically torrified wood would be the most harmonically consistent version of itself unless you have any maple that’s been drying for 400 years because it’s closed cell and more consistently homogeneous through and through since the hemicellulose and other various polysaccharides and other compounds are dramatically lessened if not wholly removed.

Knowing is half the battle whammo. The process isn’t for suckers it’s backed by tons of science and hundreds of years of application and we’re just now learning recently why the very old crazy cured and aged stuff is so good and fortification is merely a Man made aging process that makes immense haste of the natural process.

Naturally overtime wood only gets lighter in weight (due to loss of polysaccharides etc), darker, rigidity increases, brittleness increases and it’s cell structure transforms from open to closed cell (extremely long process)

We’re all suckers for the old aged stuff so your right being that it mimics it so very well, we’re gonna be suckers for torrified wood as well.

It’s one of the newer technologies we’re bringing into pool that imop actually isn’t gimmick bs. It’s fine material that’s got great qualities and it’s very stable. What more could one want?

-greyghost
Good explanation but oddly I still play the same with all the gimmicky shit. Have yet to see someone I beat regularly show up with some Pensky-wazoo crap and gain the upper hand because of it. In that regard I do agree with Kim. If you're expecting something to improve in your game from it then yes, you're a sucker.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member

-greyghost
One of the best posts I've seen in a while.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

-greyghost

You should publish this somewhere, it's a great explanation.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
0EEBC257-D8B5-4D76-9269-237FC213DB55.jpeg

It’s not my research I’ve just read studies on it.

Here’s a very good one from the Finnish music foundation!

WardS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
  • I found this on the internet

• Kielwood® is the new generation of pool cue wood, specifically created for low deflection. It is a dark, hard rock maple that is harmonically stabilized for straightness. With traditional pie shaped shafts, each slice of the pie is susceptible to having a different reaction. Kielwood® is the solution to a continually straight and stable shaft.
oh wow!!!! I didn't realize that these shafts are "HARMONICALLY STABILIZED"........ just what does that techno babble mean and how does one accomplish that.................. they are more rigid but have less deflection??????? the two are mutually exclusive............. read a little and you will find that stiffer shafts always deflect the cue ball more............................. just more gimmicks for suckers that think more money for more expensive things will replace time and perseverance and practice.... practice .... practice
I just bought a Jacoby Kielwood shaft, you do know what they say about opinions,

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if you are missing because of your equipment get new equipment. but almost always it is because you need to play better with the equipment you got.
i play with around 50 year old cues and shafts and still can beat almost all players in most pool rooms except maybe the best one or two.
same situation as decades past. so this new shaft crap hasnt improved the play in general. just in theirs minds. which may give some benefit.