Ko Pin-Yi. Best player on earth.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, for most skilled player in the world, I like Wu over Ko. He was doing a lot more technical stuff than Ko with position and defense and was just as strong pocketing balls and mentally.

Agreed. I think the last great "star" of Taiwanese pool was Yang, and Yang's dominating technical mastery over the CB is something Ko lacks. Wu was getting there, then life got in the way...hopefully we'll see him settle into a new phase soon.

If Yang himself can get serious about a comeback, I'd be first among the cheerleading squad; but I doubt it would ever happen.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's say two different players each win a tournament of the exact same format against the exact same field. For the sake of argument, we'll say the wins are ten days apart. One tournament has the word "World" in its name. The other doesn't. Is the player who won the "World" tournament the better player because of the name of the event?

You're really grasping here, but if I must address your completely unrealistic scenario.

The answer to your question is, "no."

However, in the real world, the "World" tournament will always have the strongest fields. Why? Because any Joe Schmo can't buy in and try his luck.

So if a player wins not one, but two "World" tournaments in the same year. Yeah, I think it's acceptable for people to say he's the best on earth. It doesn't mean he's the best ever, or that he'll even be the best next year.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is about beating a field of players not 1 or 2 players

You're really grasping here, but if I must address your completely unrealistic scenario.

The answer to your question is, "no."

However, in the real world, the "World" tournament will always have the strongest fields. Why? Because any Joe Schmo can't buy in and try his luck.

So if a player wins not one, but two "World" tournaments in the same year. Yeah, I think it's acceptable for people to say he's the best on earth. It doesn't mean he's the best ever, or that he'll even be the best next year.

That sums it up
Winning World 9 ball championship means earning the right to called World Champion or best in world or King to rule for 1 year until next WC. Because it is still the best tournament (though it is flawed and not perfect ) with strongest field in world, toughest qualifiers , almost no dead money and minimum entry fee , highest added money and is event that all players want to win badly

The World Champion may lose in one to one matches like lose to some D player in bar or lose some long race to 10000000 or never win any match for next 1 year but he is still world champion . Only way to take away his title and be world champion is to win the next year WC. It is irrelevant that there are other better players than him in next 1 year coz those other better players are better on paper or in theory and they have not won the toughest tournament to earn the right to be called World Champion. It is not like 100 years ago where there are maybe like 2 to 3 top players in world and you can travel few months to other side of world and challenge the current world champ and snatch his title by beating him
These days there are 4 to 5 dozen top notch players and the practical way to prove it is to best a field of players to be World Champion NOT just 2 or 3 players . And this is same format in other sports. Efren was beating everyone but losing regularly to Parica. Does that mean Parica is better than Efren? No coz Efren beat a field of top players not just 1 player

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
Let's say two different players each win a tournament of the exact same format against the exact same field. For the sake of argument, we'll say the wins are ten days apart. One tournament has the word "World" in its name. The other doesn't. Is the player who won the "World" tournament the better player because of the name of the event?

That not what I meant. What I meant was whenever someone won a world championship or an International tournament suddenly people are quick in saying " He is the best player in the world".

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
That not what I meant. What I meant was whenever someone won a world championship or an International tournament suddenly people are quick in saying " He is the best player in the world".

Nobody says that when someone jumps on the scene and wins the worlds, like Wu, Hohmann or Peach.

Last edited:

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member

well, unless he wins the World 10-ball, World 9-ball and WCOP all in the same year.
i cant remember but i've mentioned this before. after alcano won the world 9-ball in 06, him and efren had a money game the night after. old man beats him, 25-7. :D

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
In my opinion the US open does not have just as strong as a field as the Worlds. Probably half the field of the open is dead money. Many good regional players, but in actuality probably only 20 killers and of those only perhaps 5 that are odds on favorite.

The US open is also a true double elimination tourney, which means you have another chance if you lose once. The worlds with the round robin seeding and then single slim after that means you have to play perfect every match. Lose once and you are out.

Those things IMHO make the word championship a harder tourney to win.

spot on Brother.

Taking nothing away from Ko, he has accomplished what few can. He IS world class.
I always thought there were 3 things needed to excel in tournament play.
1- Obviously have your game on !
2- Win the luck of the draw. Know who is playing like a monster and either outplay them when you matchup, or hope for the luck of the draw to have someone else do that.
3- be on the winning side of the rolls. ie: the pool Gods must be in your favor.

Watched the Ko-SVB final to 6-5 and even the announcer said the opponent getting all the rolls is hard to fade. Not getting the roll makes you feel you are playing 2 opponents rather than one. :frown:

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not really. Ko and Wu both played an incredible match in the semis. They put on a better performance than any match in recent memory.

Totally agree, that match was incredible, I remember telling to myself it was a shame one of these guys had to lose in that match, for me it was the match of the tournament :)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
There's a player out there whose resume of accomplishments includes all of the following titles.

World Pool Masters
World Cup of Pool
World 8-ball Championship
World 9-ball Championship
World 10-ball Championship
US Open 9-ball Championship
World 14.1 Championship (not WPA sanctioned)
World Games gold medal

His name is Darren Appleton and his is another legendary career we're able to see up close and personal.

Still, given what Ko Pin Yi has already accomplished at just 26 years of age, he certainly has a chance to eclipse Darren's incredible resume of major titles. Should be fun to watch.