Konrad’s journey through suckage!

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Hey I’m posting a write up too.

Chapter 1.

So it took almost 6 mos and a whole lot of effort. Stroke after stroke. Day after day. Frustration upon frustration.

I thought I was shooting “ok” when I started back. This is after 15 yrs off mind you. Turns out I wasn’t. My whole entire stance and stroke were different. My head wasn’t lined up with my shots, and as it turns out it it was almost dumb luck balls were falling.

Where it began….My friend installed a table and invited me over a few times. It made me recall how much fun pool was back when. So I went to the hall a few times to get going on it. Get Back 2 Good

Then I had my own 9 footer installed in the garage. I hit it hard. Day after day. So about a month went by and I didn’t really get any better. I’m thinking. “There’s no getting back”.

I kept at it. Kept smacking the balls around. I had the table knowledge to make almost any ball, but even straight in balls wouldn’t always fall. I was Livin on a Prayer
Finally it hit me. Check my stroke. Sure enough I wasn’t aiming correctly and my stance was off. So I went through and adjusted. Ok I can shoot a bit better now. Long shots and cuts are falling better “Im half way there”.

But it still didn’t feel right. I can’t feel my shots like I used to. Let me go to some tournaments, play some better shooters, and see what happens. I lost horribly. 4 different opponents. Four losses. I’m a loser.
I don’t get it. I used to smoke guys like this. This is “pushing me off of life’s little edge” and “I’m takin the fall” today and forever I guess.

End chapter 1.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I usually play at a certain spot. It is very league oriented and only has 3 nine footers on the other side of building. No one there plays 1P so I find myself practicing against myself.

I try to play both sides as honestly as possible with plenty of time to think and plan. I watch pro matches often as well. I thought I was starting to get the game down. Not great but I would’ve said I was maybe a 5-6 out of 10 on strategy.

I started playing at a new place that attracts some more serious players. Got into a cheap game with someone I know can play 1P. I expected to lose, but damn! There were some stretches where I just went from trap to trap for like ten shots. Barely escaping with my life each time until finally I’d mess up. Rarely had a shot and when I did I was so out of stroke I never ran more than 3.

Many instances I just had no idea what to do lol. Not exactly like your situation but sometimes reality smacks you up and it’s a good thing. Take several steps back and make an honest assessment, then decide what needs doing.

I took a 2 year break myself and been back at it for a couple months now. I feel like I was much better before but I think I’m remembering my good days only lol. I’ve never been guaranteed* to get out when I should so there’s some basic building block missing. I want to be great, but I also want to be great at playing and singing, and archery. Priorities

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Chapter 2:

So I’d never seen a banger as bad as the APA is producing these days. 20 yrs ago you’d get some 5’s and 6’s who talked the talk then would fall on their faces when trying to walk the walk. Bangers! They were usually a great bunch to hang with but why give them the time? They just weren’t good enough and all that I wanted was to be left alone. Even “banging my head” on the wall would’ve been better.
Now you have cocky 3’s. They make 25 balls to your 50 and think they are Gods gift to pool. It’s a head scratcher. Did they not notice they only won 1-2 games and I won the other 6 or 7? “I’m no fool”
Idiots!

Well anyway from here on out I’ll be cutting down the tunes and giving the real story. Why does it feel like the universe is against me? Idk. What is Wolfy’s deal? Idk. But “you don’t know what we’ll see”. Come along for the “ride” if you want to.
Don’t like the musings don’t come by. This is Wolfy’s safe space for those posts that didn’t make it to the other threads.😇😇😇😂😂😀😉

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Fargorate is a big joke between God and me at this point. Once upon a time I cared and things just didn’t work out. Maybe I was a 400 something 2 yrs ago. Since I’ll only play to my opponents level and refuse to play my best, I’m being punished. Thats Wolfy though. 20yrs ago, the best players would almost never show their speed. Thats the era I came up in and still rings true to my pool way. Now all these low APA levels get a free show. They used to have to pay for it. Can’t give up that shot. Too many eyes.

8 Ball on the spot. CB at second Diamond 3” off the rail. Easy pockets are blocked. Bank lanes aren’t looking great either. Easy almost center ball shot double kiss to the corner. No way I’m playing it with all these eyes…..lost again. Damn!

Got a match with a 630 in a few weeks. Facebook live-$500. Maybe I’ll get to play for a change.

Oh well. Life goes on and execution is key. But being the executioner is better. I don’t mind losing a battle or tons of them and a shit ton of $$$ as long as I win the war. That might just be the Scorpio talking out loud though.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I ignored the tunes until you posted Magic Carpet Ride. Been ages since I heard that!

I am going to agree with the video idea. Often just seeing the video yourself you can see what you are doing wrong. What we think we are doing and what we are really doing isn't always the same.

After twenty years of not playing pool I decided to learn to play pool right when I came back. Worst mistake I ever made! What I was trying to unlearn had worked well for over a decade. I never did get playing "right" to work.

Hu

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
I ignored the tunes until you posted Magic Carpet Ride. Been ages since I heard that!

I am going to agree with the video idea. Often just seeing the video yourself you can see what you are doing wrong. What we think we are doing and what we are really doing isn't always the same.

After twenty years of not playing pool I decided to learn to play pool right when I came back. Worst mistake I ever made! What I was trying to unlearn had worked well for over a decade. I never did get playing "right" to work.

Hu
Oh I recalled this post from 2021!🤨strokes fine now.👍except all that playing when I was younger with the walls too close to the table might’ve given my natural cue angle a bit of a lift. It looks overly aggressive but only feels right that way.

On your response. I feel like I played better 8 breaking through balls and playing on the fly. Now I’m so much better with shape and safeties, but just can’t reach that same level of play in 8 doing it the “right” way. 9 ball B&R%up 8 ball B&R%down. Maybe the extra chaos was needed to keep it interesting in 8.

So it’s also funny because I had a thought about that the other day. I’m going to try taking the hard ones for a while in 8. Unless the easy ones are way too easy. That should keep me focused instead of just playing. It makes no sense but it might work.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I checked dates a post or two up, not far enough back I see!

I used to have three speeds, date/friend speed, local gamblers speed, and road players speed. I often picked the hardest runout I could find to get in a little practice while playing date speed.

Hu

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
You know what sucks more than being bad or avg at pool? Being the second best in the hall. Doesnt even matter that I could beat everyone else. There was always one player better than I was at that hall. I was at the apex of that 2nd tier amongst players essentially. Probably 650ish. I practiced 8 hours a day every day. He sat on his ass most of the time. I’ve never been the best at anything. Only 2nd best. That hurts a lot more than just being average at something. Like bowling. I stopped with a 183 avg. That didn’t matter much. I bowled all the time, was avg or a bit above, and ok with that. 2nd best isn’t the same. No matter how hard I’ve tried never been 1st. Its always pissed me off to no end. Always just slightly below and unable to grasp 1st. And not just in pool. Over time I finally gave up trying anymore and became the best procrastinator😉

Natural talent can be a gift and a curse at the same time. Some people only see what’s in front of them. We all have our limits. When you hit that limit and all in can’t get you past it what else is there you can do but just give up? Then you finally do figure out the problem and can’t get there any longer. Life sucks sometimes. Don’t give up! Maybe someone else can get there. F you!😂😂😂

Pretty sure that was the “interlude”. This is a pool forum and I’ll throw out some tips and tricks. But take it with a grain of salt from here on out. I’m not saying they are good tips, but maybe something will be useful to somebody in their own journey through suckage. Who wants to learn from 2nd best anyway? I guess we could be 2nd best together.

This happens all the time. The 8 ball is on the rail and their 2 ball is blocking it, you hit the 8 into their ball by the corner. How do you plan to win if they just pick up the CB? It might be a great shot if someone doesn’t have a coach left or isn’t that good. Otherwise not a very good shot unless played correctly. The 8 needs to be off the rail. I’ve seen this go on for 5-10 turns straight. Because a lot of players don’t know what to do in this position.

The back and forth is pointless. Their ball is getting closer to the hole. You are going to have to play offensive at some point or you can’t win. You could turn it into a better shot if you play it right. Instead of lining it up along the rail set up the cb perpendicular. Play a soft shot to get the 8 off the rail with cb behind it. 8 only needs a little room so hit it real soft. Try to keep their ball on the rail if possible. You might have the upper hand now. They pick up again. Bank the 8 ball towards the side and leave the CB next to their ball. If you are a good banker you might’ve just won.

If not a good banker leave the 8 in the middle of the table. The 8 will work two ways. It has a chance to disrupt a 2 rail kick. And it’s going to be really hard to safe you from the position you just put them in. If their ball is off the rail they might try banking it. But is the bank possible? You might win now.

If your ball is the one by the pocket. Wait. But the plan is the same to the opposite corner or 3 to the side with an in the pocket option.

The first scenario isn’t 3 shots it’s two. Remember that. You don’t want your opponent to get your plan. If you need 3 use 3. But it’s best to do it in 2. A good player won’t give you 3. Combine shots 1&2. Try to leave the 8 off the rail on the first shot. By number 2 they will be in a bad spot.

Last edited:

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
What was that 3 railer that if you hit with one English it went to the side and another it goes to the corner? For some reason the physics don’t seem right since starting back. I keep hitting the damn side nipple. Or they just don’t go. Was it because that was on a gold crown with 760? They don’t seem to go anymore. The top ain’t tightening like it used to and the bottom ain’t loosening right. Used to be routine shots. Could my aim and stroke really have been that much more accurate back then? Or am I dreaming?

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
What was that 3 railer that if you hit with one English it went to the side and another it goes to the corner? For some reason the physics don’t seem right since starting back. I keep hitting the damn side nipple. Or they just don’t go. Was it because that was on a gold crown with 760? They don’t seem to go anymore. The top ain’t tightening like it used to and the bottom ain’t loosening right. Used to be routine shots. Could my aim and stroke really have been that much more accurate back then? Or am I dreaming?
Are the rails torqued? Depending on how they bank, cloth age etc it might need some spin. I know the shot you're talking, I could do it on command on my old oversize 8 Olhausen. With other tables it's a percentage shot.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Are the rails torqued? Depending on how they bank, cloth age etc it might need some spin. I know the shot you're talking, I could do it on command on my old oversize 8 Olhausen. With other tables it's a percentage shot.
Yeah. I don’t know about the torque. the path reminds me of a simple boat drawing. It’s the boat shot to the corner with top.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
You want to know how soft players have gotten just look at APA team stats. The way they list wins/matches. The don’t list wins and losses. I think it’s because it doesn’t “feel” as bad when only the wins are listed outright. I listed our teams wins/losses earlier on the group chat instead and you wouldn’t believe how upset that got a few on the team. It’s DJ so I combined 8 and 9 together. Well “omg! I’m 5W-12L! I have 4 wins in 6 matches in 9 ball” Stated like the 8 ball losses didn’t count. One even went as far as to change it back to the “millennial edition” as total wins/matches.

Bunch of softies. My 11yr old daughters have thicker skin than half the adults in the hall these days.

Shahbaz147

Hey I’m posting a write up too.

Chapter 1.

So it took almost 6 mos and a whole lot of effort. Stroke after stroke. Day after day. Frustration upon frustration.

I thought I was shooting “ok” when I started back. This is after 15 yrs off mind you. Turns out I wasn’t. My whole entire stance and stroke were different. My head wasn’t lined up with my shots, and as it turns out it it was almost dumb luck balls were falling.

Where it began….My friend installed a table and invited me over a few times. It made me recall how much fun pool was back when. So I went to the hall a few times to get going on it. Get Back 2 Good

Then I had my own 9 footer installed in the garage. I hit it hard. Day after day. So about a month went by and I didn’t really get any better. I’m thinking. “There’s no getting back”.

I kept at it. Kept smacking the balls around. I had the table knowledge to make almost any ball, but even straight in balls wouldn’t always fall. I was Livin on a Prayer
Finally it hit me. Check my stroke. Sure enough I wasn’t aiming correctly and my stance was off. So I went through and adjusted. Ok I can shoot a bit better now. Long shots and cuts are falling better “Im half way there”.

But it still didn’t feel right. I can’t feel my shots like I used to. Let me go to some tournaments, play some better shooters, and see what happens. I lost horribly. 4 different opponents. Four losses. I’m a loser.
I don’t get it. I used to smoke guys like this. This is “pushing me off of life’s little edge” and “I’m takin the fall” today and forever I guess.

End chapter 1.
That’s my story

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Surefire way to know you are getting better. The game isn’t interesting to you unless your opponent is playing safe.

If I’m not being safetied that guy best be on beast mode or I already know I won. Probably like that for a lot of other players too. Gets really disappointing sometimes when you are looking for a “real” game and your opponent isn’t even trying to win.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Force follow is good when you are playing on faster conditions than you are used to or the table is rolling funny. Stick that CB near the bottom rail instead of rolling it there. Comes in handy occasionally….

my favorite force follow. OB near side pocket next ball down table at/below the 2nd diamond where the only option is the short side. No route except the FF will get you there due to traffic. I’m not going to tell you how to set it up or how to get it there. It’s just one of my favorites that has come up more than once. Well so far twice in actual games. It has to be set up just right to work.

When in a game or match. You better be ready. You either know the shot or you don’t. You don’t get 2 tries. It’s up to a player to be prepared for it.

Last edited:

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Ah well. Once an 8 ball player always an 8 ball player.

Little story here. As I’ve been getting slack on my 9 ball breaking in another thread.

So when I was 18 I started frequenting the hall. I was only good at 8 ball. Even played an adult league at 13yrs old and was a 5 then. Well everybody else played 9 ball. Everyone at the hall anyway.

So initially they would beat me down. I didn’t know how to play after never really playing 9 except at a few tournaments here and there. They all had a stupid looking break from the side and had weird strategies. It made no sense.

So for the next 3 years I practiced. And practiced, and practiced some more. 8hrs a day 7 days a week until I got good at 9 ball. I got so good the last one standing was Ronaldo. The guy who at one time had a backer and played in some high stakes games. So I’ve heard anyway. Never actually heard it straight from him.

We would play 8hrs straight sometimes. We played 8 ball about even. He would only edge me out a game or two every 30 games. It was just a break and run contest. That was an fn blast. But 9 ball I could never beat him. He was a stone cold killer at the time. Always won 5-3 or 5-4.

Sorry got a bit sidetracked.
In all of this I never changed to a 9 ball break. I decided I was an 8 ball player and if players weren’t going to play me 8 ball(cause I’d always roast them) I’d take some of that 8 ball with me to their 9 ball game and beat them that way. Like I said. Once an 8 ball player always one.

So I tweaked my 8 ball break a bit and turned it into a 9 ball break. From the middle. And now that’s the break I use most. There is more to it than that and I’ve made variations to it. But unlike most 9 ball players’ breaks most of mine have a lot of cb action. Thats the way I made them. To make specific balls and give good layouts. I dare to be different.

And here’s something some will probably agree with. There are a lot of 9 ball players with shitty 8 ball breaks. They stay breaking from the side and don’t have enough power to get a good spread. And there are 8 ball players with shitty 9 ball breaks.

All in all though. There’s no wrong way to eat a Reese. So I’ll stick to my guns and keep using that 8 ball break in 9 ball. And to the ones who question my 9ball break I’ll say this-“after you’ve hit a shot 50 or 100000 times you know where the cb is going.”

Last edited: