Lessons

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If this was any other sport, such as Golf, Basketball, or Baseball Camp, folks would be lining up at the door and wouldn't blink an eye at paying 10 times what Earl and Karen are charging.

Instruction from TWO world champs. Why would you pass up that opportunity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WinnerBreaks

Registered
$250 per student x 8 students = $2000

$2000 / 2 instructors = $1000

Earl and Karen are each getting $1000

$1000 / 4 hours of work = $250 per hour

Earl and Karen are each making $250 per hour

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Regardless of who’s doing the teaching, horror stories are easy to come by.

I have a few involving a very well known instructor and some of his students who, post lesson, asked me to help fix what they’d been taught by said well known instructor. But for my money I’ll go with what Ray Martin told me: “If you want to play like a champion, take lessons from a champion.” YMMV.

Lou Figueroa

Yes, but you are a champion yourself. Most of us have other sports and hobbies along the way. I have owned an airplane (took lessons to obtain a private pilot's license in the early 1970's and high performance airplane lessons), used to be a scratch golfer (took hundreds of lessons), fair tennis player (took 50 lessons) , still a Benchrest rifle shooter, prairie dog hunter, etc. Now I'm into pool part time and I know a fantastic pool teacher that is good enough for me. Most of us do not need high priced champion teachers.

Last edited:
Reactions: KRJ

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
$250 per student x 8 students = $2000

$2000 / 2 instructors = $1000

Earl and Karen are each getting $1000

$1000 / 4 hours of work = $250 per hour

Earl and Karen are each making $250 per hour

Less expenses:

Marketing
Venue
Travel
Lodging
Meals
Etc.

And are they earning every day?

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gold Crown, Randy was in the OP's area in mid November. (3 day course) He should be back early summer. We both know Scott's always passing through. The OP should be thinking either side of SBE for a time frame.

If I was a high level player I would go see Earl.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd pay $250 to take Earl to dinner and just let him ramble on.
Jason

I'd gamble with him for $20 for a race to 10 in 9 or 10 ball. Just like I do the local professional. He needs my help with $$$ to get along and I love to see him play. Worth the time and money spent.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is everyone so concerned about counting Earl and Karen's money? They are two of the BEST in their field. BEST. ELITE. And they're making $250 an hour BEFORE expenses. That's a shame. BUT, an opportunity for those who want to learn from some of the best. Maybe it's not negativity I'm sensing, but some of these posts come across as quite negative. I hope I'm wrong.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But, to be fair, how many of Ray's students play like champions? Just curious if there is a list or anything we can review. With that being said, he's a great teacher and folks will learn a lot from him, but "champions"? not so much.
I disagree. The higher the level player you are, the more someone like Ray Martin is likely able to help you. My good friend and I have both had lessons from Ray. My friend's game, who likely has never run 20 balls in his life, was no where near to the point (in positioning or cue ball control skills) that Ray could provide much help to him. At least I can occasionally run 2-3 racks of 14.1, so I found Ray to be far more helpful to me than he did. But still - Ray's thought process and precise positioning goals when he's trying to show you how to efficiently run out a rack is just so far ahead of what most of us are capable of executing, that I can only imagine it must be somewhat frustrating for him.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is everyone so concerned about counting Earl and Karen's money? They are two of the BEST in their field. BEST. ELITE. And they're making $250 an hour BEFORE expenses. That's a shame. BUT, an opportunity for those who want to learn from some of the best. Maybe it's not negativity I'm sensing, but some of these posts come across as quite negative. I hope I'm wrong.
Yeah, and that $250/hr is assuming they are able to attract the 8 player class max, which they may not.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I disagree. The higher the level player you are, the more someone like Ray Martin is likely able to help you. My good friend and I have both had lessons from Ray. My friend's game, who likely has never run 20 balls in his life, was no where near to the point (in positioning or cue ball control skills) that Ray could provide much help to him. At least I can occasionally run 2-3 racks of 14.1, so I found Ray to be far more helpful to me than he did. But still - Ray's thought process and precise positioning goals when he's trying to show you how to efficiently run out a rack is just so far ahead of what most of us are capable of executing, that I can only imagine it must be somewhat frustrating for him.

How can you disagree with me, I said Ray is a good teacher.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Not sure why folks are arguing about the money. $250 per hour, less expenses is too much for Hall of Fame players? Surely you jest?

Any time spent with Earl is worth the money/effort. You will never forget it. And then add Karen as a super terrific bonus for the $250 and it's like you're stealing. Seriously, nobody will be disappointed, that's for sure. You'll tell the story of your experience for the rest of your life, that I promise you.

Amateur baseball players would jump out of their skin to pay $250 for 4 hours with Frank Thomas and Cal Ripken Jr. Just saying :)

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But, to be fair, how many of Ray's students play like champions? Just curious if there is a list or anything we can review. With that being said, he's a great teacher and folks will learn a lot from him, but "champions"? not so much.

You are really into taking things literally, lol.

Lou Figueroa

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Lesson is limited to 8 people and the whole session is 4 hours I believe. I guess 250 sounds a little steep to me but for someone with a lot of money it may be worth having 2 world class players giving a lesson.

I would take a 2 hour solo with Karen for $200. Two hours solo beats 4 hours with a group.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, but you are a champion yourself. Most of us have other sports and hobbies along the way. I have owned an airplane (took lessons to obtain a private pilot's license in the early 1970's and high performance airplane lessons), used to be a scratch golfer (took hundreds of lessons), fair tennis player (took 50 lessons) , still a Benchrest rifle shooter, prairie dog hunter, etc. Now I'm into pool part time and I know a fantastic pool teacher that is good enough for me. Most of us do not need high priced champion teachers.

Who said anything about a high price?!

What I paid was extraordinarily reasonable for what I got. And it was cool to hear the war stories too and snap a selfie. What I really liked was being able to ask these guys *anything* I wanted about practice, techniques, strategy, and other champions -- lot's of great stuff and some stuff about other players was pretty funny.

Lou Figueroa
no champion

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Who said anything about a high price?!

What I paid was extraordinarily reasonable for what I got. And it was cool to hear the war stories too and snap a selfie. What I really liked was being able to ask these guys *anything* I wanted about practice, techniques, strategy, and other champions -- lot's of great stuff and some stuff about other players was pretty funny.

Lou Figueroa
no champion

Yes, I agree that would be. I really enjoyed the video of Cowboy Jimmy Moore talking about all the players he's played. Don Willis must have been something else. Ping pong player, horseshoe player, and amazing pool player. I'm sure if Ray lived within 200 miles of me, I'd be bugging him for lessons except I don't play 14.1. Too boring. Where 9 or 10 ball we're moving around and the CB gets moving around also. But, I have a table and if someone wants to play it or 1 pocket, I'd go along.

Last edited: