Lessons

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I was disagreeing with your premise that he isn't as likely to be able to help very advanced level players. I'm saying those the types of players he's most likely to help the most!

Never said that either. He's as likely to help advanced players just like many other instructors. Not disagreeing with that at all. I'm really disagreeing with the "champions" part. Most folks seeking lessons, all 99.9% are not trying to become champions, nor could they if they wanted to. So, it gets a little delusional when we talk about folks need to seek "champions" to learn to shoot better.

This is not a knock on him at all. He's great. It's a knock on the statement. And i've trained with my share of champions and lovd every minute of it. From Earl, to Nick, to Archer, to Appleton, to Buddy, etc. Going to a seminar with Thorsten at the end of the month. For straight pool and I don't even play straight pool.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
we have a homeless guy named Chuck here in Denver.
he plays real good and you can get a lesson for a cheeseburger.

I love it! :thumbup:
There is a good reason why many of the top players would crowd around and watch Efren play (they did the same thing with Lassiter and Earl). Free lessons! You could learn a lot just watching how a great player went about things. I always said that becoming a good pool player was 50% practice and 50% observation. I don't think that's changed much either.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll say this again(slightly different) Earl, if you're at Turningstone, we can go to the Restaurant on the top floor and I'll buy your dinner just to listen - no obligation, just random thoughts and some incredible food and drink.
Jason
You went from offering Earl $250 for a few hours to pick his brain to now offering to buy him dinner for a few hours of conversation. I don't know what the prices are at that rooftop restaurant, but I wonder what your next offer will be? - LOL

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never said that either. He's as likely to help advanced players just like many other instructors. Not disagreeing with that at all. I'm really disagreeing with the "champions" part. Most folks seeking lessons, all 99.9% are not trying to become champions, nor could they if they wanted to. So, it gets a little delusional when we talk about folks need to seek "champions" to learn to shoot better.

This is not a knock on him at all. He's great. It's a knock on the statement. And i've trained with my share of champions and lovd every minute of it. From Earl, to Nick, to Archer, to Appleton, to Buddy, etc. Going to a seminar with Thorsten at the end of the month. For straight pool and I don't even play straight pool.
OK, sounds like we've got that straightened out and I'm sorry if I misunderstood your original statement. Just curious, where is that straight pool seminar with Thorsten and can you provide any details? Sounds absolutely awesome, but I'm guessing it's not likely going to be close to my region in NC.

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
There is a good reason why many of the top players would crowd around and watch Efren play (they did the same thing with Lassiter and Earl). Free lessons! You could learn a lot just watching how a great player went about things. I always said that becoming a good pool player was 50% practice and 50% observation. I don't think that's changed much either.
Couldn't resist.:wink:

Yogi Berra said:
You can observe a lot just by watching.
Yogi Again said:
Half the game is 80% mental.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pay the $250

you will never regret your cost
Sure its worth $250 to get to talk with Earl about pool
especially since he will be committed to helping you

Get your picture taken with him,get him to sign your cue,a cue ball or two

Don't you think he deserves to be paid for his time and effort

unless you are unemployed and never plan to play again
Don't be too big a nit to get a chance of a lifetime day with Earl

Private or group of 8
what difference could it make?
actually half will probably be with the lady pro so you should have all kinds of great learning with Earl

You will hear advice and stories worth ten time what little you are paying

surely a world champion knows something that your local
club pro could never teach you

Don't be a sucker,grab your place before it is too late

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pay the $250

you will never regret your cost
Sure its worth $250 to get to talk with Earl about pool
especially since he will be committed to helping you

Get your picture taken with him,get him to sign your cue,a cue ball or two

Don't you think he deserves to be paid for his time and effort

unless you are unemployed and never plan to play again
Don't be too big a nit to get a chance of a lifetime day with Earl

Private or group of 8
what difference could it make?
actually half will probably be with the lady pro so you should have all kinds of great learning with Earl

You will hear advice and stories worth ten time what little you are paying

surely a world champion knows something that your local
club pro could never teach you

Don't be a sucker,grab your place before it is too late

You could also pay your money like some here did and earl may
just decide he doesn’t feel like it and not show up.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You could also pay your money like some here did and earl may just decide he doesn’t feel like it and not show up.
I think Karen is the better instructor, so that might not be such a bad thing. Earl and Johnny Archer did a clinic locally during their road tour. Johnny did a good job.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I started playing in N.J. in 1961.
Jay you know the kind of talent that was around there in the 1960's.
As a kid I watched those guys like a hawk.
I would see them do something with the cue ball and I would figure it out and practise it.
14.1 was the big game back then and I learned a lot about safety play and traps.
Watching great players is a good way to learn cheap.
I never realized until later how lucky I was to be in that part of the country watching future legends play in their prime.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would see them do something with the cue ball and I would figure it out and practise it.
14.1 was the big game back then and I learned a lot about safety play and traps.
I never realized until later how lucky I was to be in that part of the country watching future legends play in their prime.

How fortunate! I didn't encounter good players until 1973. I was pretty much self taught up to that point.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Price varies from pro to pro. I know Danny "kid delicious' Basavich charges $150 for a three hour lesson. Corey Dueul was giving a lesson at one of the make it happen events. He was charging $200 for an hour.
Scott Lee charging something like $350 for 5 hours. He never stops at 5. He gives you a lot for your money.

I have attended a few of these mini sessions. One was with Corr. We each got to spend about 20 minutes with her. It was fun but not a serous lesson.

I did one with Nick Varner and Johnny Archer. Two small groups of about 5 spent two hours with each pro. Fun and instructional, but I would rather spend 2-3 hours with someone like Scott or Randy G.

I have heard that both Karen and Earl give great lessons. If you can afford the 250 see how much time you can get with either of them privately.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Price varies from pro to pro. Corey Dueul was giving a lesson at one of the make it happen events. He was charging $200 for an hour.

He'll teach you how to rack for 30/30 minutes. How to inspect the rack for $100 and how to reset it for an additional $100.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

The Hi-Cue was the place to play in New Jersey in the '60s and '70s. They had a monthly 9-Ball tournament that attracted a who's who of the best players of that era. Mizerak, Margo, Hopkins, Sigel, Rempe, Colavita, Jersey Red, Ervolino, Shorty, Balsis, Richie Ambrose, Ernie Costa and many more who's names escape me at the moment. If you won that one you were doing something.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Hi-Cue was the place to play in New Jersey in the '60s and '70s. They had a monthly 9-Ball tournament that attracted a who's who of the best players of that era. Mizerak, Margo, Hopkins, Sigel, Rempe, Colavita, Jersey Red, Ervolino, Shorty, Balsis, Richie Ambrose, Ernie Costa and many more who's names escape me at the moment. If you won that one you were doing something.

Richie Ambrose.... New York Richie?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Richie Ambrose.... New York Richie?

Also known as "Richie From The Bronx" and "9-Ball Richie." Still alive and well, hustling Craps in Vegas.
He was a high speed 9-Ball player, had a fast and loose style, and it took a real champion to take him down.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Also known as "Richie From The Bronx" and "9-Ball Richie." Still alive and well, hustling Craps in Vegas.
He was a high speed 9-Ball player, had a fast and loose style, and it took a real champion to take him down.

I saw him play Harry Petros at Stanley McDowels room in N. Jersey in the late 60's. It was fun hearing them Make the Game. The chirping was great. Started around $100 a game and grew from there.

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And do any of you NJ boy's know of the money games shot on a antique Brunswick table
In the room over the Montauk Theater in Passaic? Who were the Biggie's there? Only "approved" player's allowed on that table.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
OK, sounds like we've got that straightened out and I'm sorry if I misunderstood your original statement. Just curious, where is that straight pool seminar with Thorsten and can you provide any details? Sounds absolutely awesome, but I'm guessing it's not likely going to be close to my region in NC.

Chicago before the start of Derby. Red Shoes Billiards :)

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou...It is well known here that you consistently denigrate the value, teaching techniques, etc. of ALL instructors (not pro players). The sad truth is that you don't know what you're talking about. You claim to 'know' the stuff the better instructors teach, but you really have no idea about how learning works, between the human mind and human body. Your rhetoric here proves that beyond a shadow of doubt.

Humans, when learning something (anything) will forget 50% of what they learn, in 24 hrs. (90% in less than a month), without a way to review the instruction (that's what the "handouts" are for. I, for one, video record the whole lesson, AND have plenty of 'handouts' to help the student plan, measure, and practice what they want to learn to do. Aren't you the guy that proclaimed that they had no pause on the backswing...and were immediately proven wrong, by someone posting video of you shooting? Yep, that was you. LOL Open minds open doors. A closed mind cannot learn anything!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

The things with instructors -- to generalize -- is that they come with a lesson plan that they want to teach you.

The thing about a lesson with a champion is that they will teach you whatever you want because they know all aspects of the game. In both the case of Dallas West and Ray Martin they asked me, "What are we doing today?" IOWs, they wanted to know what *I* wanted to know. And then occasionally we'd drift into other things.

If you have a guy with handouts, you're signing up for their agenda, not yours.

Lou Figueroa