Let's See Your Schon! Pictures Please.

The King

Here's Jimbo....
Silver Member
Schon R - 11???

I remember when I bought my first Schon in the early 80's I has been playing with a Jim Rempe cue(first cue I ever bought) and had been saving up to buy a Joss or Joss West as this is what my teacher played with and he swore by them. When I got my money up we both traveled to Riverside Calif. a place called Arlington Pool Supply ... The owners name was John and I told him I was looking for a Joss for around 500.00 he showed me a few then pulled a cue off the wall... And told me to shoot a few balls with it ... He told us it came from a new cue maker that was just coming out on the market and he started making cues in his garage or something??? He said the guy was trying to get his name established and he was trying to sell a few of his sticks he would give me a heck of a deal on it if I was willing to buy it . I loved the feel of the stick it had the balance of no other cue I had ever held and it hit like a dream. I took the cue and my hopes of getting that Joss or Joss West went right out the window ...A year or two later my parents and brother where living in Georgia and my wife I decided to move closer to my familiy ...My son was born, my wife and I had a falling out and I was granted sole custody of my son. I raised him alone and put that cue up in it's case in the closet and gave up playing pool to raise my son...

Last Sept 11th my son turned 18 and I went to the closet grabbed the cue and started playing again, 20 plus years after I had bought the cue. When I would play people would look at my cue and ask to see it ... I had all kind of offers to sell it and offered good money and it kind of surprised me at what a interest everyone had in my cue. I got on the net and started looking at cues, Boy had the world of cues changed since the early eighties I did'nt even recognize half the names on the market now ... Had never heard of Viking or Preditor or several others ... And I was pleasantly surprised to see that the cue maker John told me about the day I bought my cue had indeed got his name out on the market... The Cue I had bought is a Schon R-11 it is listed in the very first catalog Schon ever came out with. I don't know what the value is on it today ... If someone has a idea perhaps they can tell me... Hawk 4863 has taken pictures of it ... I don't have any pics or a way to post them. I know the shafts they make today with the silver ring around them dont match up to it in design ... Mine has a broken line around the joint for ring work... Mine came with with two shafts ... I will never sell it and it still hits just as it did the first day I bought it very SWEET ... This Schon is the second cue I ever bought in my life ... After the Rempe ... What a surprise to quit playing pool and come back and find out what a name Schon made for themselves... If I'm not mistaken my Schon was made during the Bob Runde era perhaps by Bob Runde ??? I don't know for sure can someone with more knowledge of the history of Schon then me give me some info on the cue and Schon ... Thank you ...

RunoutalloverU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Andrew Manning said:
When speaking English, I usually hear it pronounced so it rhymes with Ron.

I believe in the original German, it sounds more like "shurn", but with a soft r. Can someone who actually speaks German shed light on this? Axejunkie, don't you speak German?

-Andrew

See post 41

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
atthecat said:
Vermy and Axejunkie, get it from here: http://www.erikleecues.com/schonsp.htm
Erik is a cool dude and he has all three colors! Listed for 675.00, but I bet he can do it for around $600 delivered.
I'll probably order the STL-15 from him next week. He's got the best prices I know of.
Thanks, yeah I know Erik has some on his site and Bamacues had one or two for sale last year. Was just looking for some better pics.

Looking through another thread, it looks like the old R-13 is the inspiration for the SP-1106.

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
justin.powell said:
Leather wrap installed by JW petree on this cue last year. Pretty basic but still a nice cue.

SchonCues007.jpg

SchonCues005.jpg

DAMN!! Very sharp, not too flashy just nice clean lines and colors. One of the best looking cues.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
My STL 06 - Its been altered from its original form, The Diamonds at the bottow were added by a cue maker, to make it original.

Attachments

• STL 06.jpg
    STL 06.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 2,897
  • Various Pics 089.jpg
    Various Pics 089.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2,873

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
how do you get the pics to show up in the body of the post, instead of having links to them

Thanks
Steve

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to hear more about the German girls.

RunoutalloverU said:
On a surf trip I ran into a couple of German girls back packing through the united states, I tried to call one beautiful, and said it like that. They didn't understand. I showed them in their translation book what I was trying to say, and they started to laugh. Ill never forget they pronounced it like shoe (like the kind on your feet) with an N on the end of it. And the O is long, so like shooen (first part like shoo fly).
Very interesting! Nice story.

The King said:
I remember when I bought my first Schon in the early 80's I has been playing with a Jim Rempe cue(first cue I ever bought) and had been saving up to buy a Joss or Joss West as this is what my teacher played with and he swore by them. When I got my money up we both traveled to Riverside Calif. a place called Arlington Pool Supply ... The owners name was John and I told him I was looking for a Joss for around 500.00 he showed me a few then pulled a cue off the wall... And told me to shoot a few balls with it ... He told us it came from a new cue maker that was just coming out on the market and he started making cues in his garage or something??? He said the guy was trying to get his name established and he was trying to sell a few of his sticks he would give me a heck of a deal on it if I was willing to buy it . I loved the feel of the stick it had the balance of no other cue I had ever held and it hit like a dream. I took the cue and my hopes of getting that Joss or Joss West went right out the window ...A year or two later my parents and brother where living in Georgia and my wife I decided to move closer to my familiy ...My son was born, my wife and I had a falling out and I was granted sole custody of my son. I raised him alone and put that cue up in it's case in the closet and gave up playing pool to raise my son...

Last Sept 11th my son turned 18 and I went to the closet grabbed the cue and started playing again, 20 plus years after I had bought the cue. When I would play people would look at my cue and ask to see it ... I had all kind of offers to sell it and offered good money and it kind of surprised me at what a interest everyone had in my cue. I got on the net and started looking at cues, Boy had the world of cues changed since the early eighties I did'nt even recognize half the names on the market now ... Had never heard of Viking or Preditor or several others ... And I was pleasantly surprised to see that the cue maker John told me about the day I bought my cue had indeed got his name out on the market... The Cue I had bought is a Schon R-11 it is listed in the very first catalog Schon ever came out with. I don't know what the value is on it today ... If someone has a idea perhaps they can tell me... Hawk 4863 has taken pictures of it ... I don't have any pics or a way to post them. I know the shafts they make today with the silver ring around them dont match up to it in design ... Mine has a broken line around the joint for ring work... Mine came with with two shafts ... I will never sell it and it still hits just as it did the first day I bought it very SWEET ... This Schon is the second cue I ever bought in my life ... After the Rempe ... What a surprise to quit playing pool and come back and find out what a name Schon made for themselves... If I'm not mistaken my Schon was made during the Bob Runde era perhaps by Bob Runde ??? I don't know for sure can someone with more knowledge of the history of Schon then me give me some info on the cue and Schon ... Thank you ...
Good story.

Last edited:

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stevekur1 said:
how do you get the pics to show up in the body of the post, instead of having links to them

Thanks
Steve
Well the best way would be just to use photobucket. It's simple and you don't have to worry about the size limit (thanks BPG24). But to answer your question, once you have the pic uploaded just click the attachments icon again (paperclip) and click the filename, it will insert it.

insert pic.JPG

Last edited:

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my R7 with inlay option. Yes it has round points and it plays great.

Rod

Attachments

• P1000767 (Large).JPG
    P1000767 (Large).JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 3,219

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
*sob* This is my FORMER Schon LTD. Stolen out of my truck a few days ago. :(

Attachments

• SchonLTD.jpg
    SchonLTD.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 3,342

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ahhhhhh, finally got my cue! It's a little different than most of the STL-15. The forearm is a lighter wood and the rings have red, white and black in them. I love it.
butt.jpg

forearmjp.jpg

whole.jpg

tipandpin.jpg

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
atthecat said:
Ahhhhhh, finally got my cue! It's a little different than most of the STL-15. The forearm is a lighter wood and the rings have red, white and black in them. I love it.
butt.jpg

forearmjp.jpg

whole.jpg

tipandpin.jpg
I like the lighter forearm,nice cue.
020106NA1_prv.gif

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the light forearm because it really make the points/veneers stand out. If the maple is too stained it ends up looking like a Meucci.
I never really new how nice Schons were until I got one.

Jimt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are a couple of Schon's I've had for a while.

The top one I purchased from the factory around 1988. It took about 18 months from the order to actually getting it.

The bottom one is a lot older but I don't remember just how much older it is.

Anybody know the model numbers?

2schons.jpg

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon. Schone. Shawn

I remember seeing a Schon Sneaky pete on eBay. What model are they? They must be very rare as I don't see them around anymore. I'm sure it was BEM and Ebony. Great post/pics you guys.

jbullerjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mean no disrespect to anyones cue.

I have noticed on almost every Schon that has dashed rings (especially at c,d and e), it seems rare that they line up. What is that about? I have seen this on Schons costing over $3500.

Below is a good example, compare the the top two cues to the bottom two

Attachments

• cues.JPG
    cues.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 2,654
Last edited:

RunoutalloverU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The german girls

trueblu8 said:
Very interesting! Nice story.

Good story.

Okay well, other than correcting me on how to say schon, they didnt understand compound words. They didn't understand carpool, they asked me if people had water in vehicles here. And hotdog, I swear to God the hot one asked me if we ate dog. Other than that, it made me want to get out of the states and date some euro chicks, no narcissim like OC chicks. Oh and they were excited to see dolphins for the first time. And they taught me and my buddy this card game called.....gameske (you would have to hear it pronounced) which was fun as hell.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Similar cue?

Jimt said:
Here are a couple of Schon's I've had for a while.

The top one I purchased from the factory around 1988. It took about 18 months from the order to actually getting it.

The bottom one is a lot older but I don't remember just how much older it is.

Anybody know the model numbers?

View attachment 60230

This cue was designed in about 1993 by a friend of mine. I think the inlay design resembles one of your Schon cues. Can anyone identify the builder?

View attachment 60237

View attachment 60238

View attachment 60239

Last edited: