lets talk about the cue youll never sell or trade

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's more than just a cue to me...that Palmer model M from the 2nd catalog. Memories attached. A friend twisted my arm to buy it because he wanted one, and could get a great deal if he ordered two. I played with the cue when my bride & I were dating...then came marriage, running a small biz, raising a daughter, so the cue languished in a closet for decades. Finally retired, daughter raised & gone, Cindy & I thought it would be fun to play again. Once I uncased it, I quickly learned it really wasn't a playing cue...but the memories of fun times are still attached to it.

Cindy & I still play for recreation...just with different cues than we used all those decades ago.

That I understand. I was asking about your statement "Can't sell this one because it has my name under that clear plastic ring."

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
That I understand. I was asking about your statement "Can't sell this one because it has my name under that clear plastic ring."

Well, that too...only cue I have that has my name in foil under a clear ring. Your avatar..that the lotus Mario won the championship in?

Maniac...my wife plays with a Jacoby all maple merry widow. She'd never want to sell it...yep, they hit good!

Last edited:

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Unfortunately I just recently sold it.

It was a Frey cue and in my opinion the best looking cue he has ever built.

The reason I sold it was because of the piloted stainless steel joint. I owned the cue for 17 years and just could not comfortably adjust to the joint.

I do regret selling it though. I have some comfort knowing the new owner likes it just fine.

Kevin

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
My Zinzola Player. Its is cue #26 and the very first one with Tony's custom ring work. Have had it since May of 2008

My other player is a Hammond (Groton NY) Cue that was gifted to me by my teacher when my car got stole along with my cues. Have had this cue since 2007

Both of these cues were gifted to me and are in pristine condition. One of my two young boys have been really taking to the game and I will pass them down to them. Under the condition that they never sell them or trade them to anybody!! I would like to have them in the family for many generations. :D

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the Cues presented so far are very nice & I like nice Cues. Guido Orlandi made me a House Cue conversion with a different shaft, formatted around his new CONICAL JOINT Construction.

After playing with it a few days, all the rest of my Cues are for sale. They all play well, but the Orlandi Cue & I are now best friends.

Attachments

• Guido Fore.jpg
    Guido Fore.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 444
  • Guido grip.JPG
    Guido grip.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 377
  • Guido Joint.jpg
    Guido Joint.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 359

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately I just recently sold it.

It was a Frey cue and in my opinion the best looking cue he has ever built.

The reason I sold it was because of the piloted stainless steel joint. I owned the cue for 17 years and just could not comfortably adjust to the joint.

I do regret selling it though. I have some comfort knowing the new owner likes it just fine.

Kevin

Hi Kevin.

Do you have any experience using Elforyn as a cue joint? I am trying to learn more about that as an ivory substitute.

Matt B.

Mikkes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I owned and played a Huebler H-E. It was my first "better" cue. Sold it to a good buddy to get money to buy me a Meucci Oldie 2. That was my biggest and dumbest failure.

jbullerjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two maybe three...

First up is a 2000 Royce Bunnell fancy Pete
This was once Royces personal player and led me to meet one of my best friends who I miss everyday.

Second, I was fortunate enough to be chosen as a member of the OB Cues Guinea Pigs.
We were all given cues or shafts to fit our cues. One particular ebony 4 point was used by several teammates over a couple of years. This cue was gifted to my wife by Royce.

Possible third, simple but beautiful full splice Blackcreek. Ebony into tulip no veneers, nice rings at A,B and E.

Jimbo

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
A cheap $35 Excalibur that my buddy gave me, to get me started playing pool. I don't use it, save to pull it out and stick a moosehead on it if the venue we play in has a scarcity of bridges, but I'll not part with it.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Hi Kevin.

Do you have any experience using Elforyn as a cue joint? I am trying to learn more about that as an ivory substitute.

Matt B.

i had an elforyn jointed cue. it was a custom by an unknown, cant remember the name. it was well built and the shaft wood was good quality, but it was HORRIBLE!!! felt more like a cheap plastic than ivory. it looks like ivory, no where near ivory. and ive shot from a actual balabushka thanks to pete Jr. to scruggs and even a carmeli which i hated with ivory joints and ferrules. the elforyn is not good, at all. its cool for inlays or a butt plate, but as a joint or ferrule id stay away from it. this is ofcourse subjective, but the elforyn, i think he called it juma, they may be different, feels like hitting the cue ball with a hollow fiberglass cue. i may be wrong and his cues are shit in general, obviously i never bought a second one, but i didnt like it. find one and try it out and see what its like. id go with a bone type joint.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
i had an elforyn jointed cue. it was a custom by an unknown, cant remember the name. it was well built and the shaft wood was good quality, but it was HORRIBLE!!! felt more like a cheap plastic than ivory. it looks like ivory, no where near ivory. and ive shot from a actual balabushka thanks to pete Jr. to scruggs and even a carmeli which i hated with ivory joints and ferrules. the elforyn is not good, at all. its cool for inlays or a butt plate, but as a joint or ferrule id stay away from it. this is ofcourse subjective, but the elforyn, i think he called it juma, they may be different, feels like hitting the cue ball with a hollow fiberglass cue. i may be wrong and his cues are shit in general, obviously i never bought a second one, but i didnt like it. find one and try it out and see what its like. id go with a bone type joint.

my mistake, juma is different. its actual plastic. elforyn has a higher minerl content mixed in. now im not even sure what he had in it. mayne elforyn ferrule and juma joint. i knoe he used both. either way, it was shit.

EDIT;;; it WAS elforyn. i found the cue maker. mike sima. I emailed him about the hit of the cue and he gave me an attitude bc i told him what he may need to do to help his cues.lol. i didnt mean to offend the guy, the cue looked great, i actually loved the cues looks, which is why i emailed him about it. but yeah, long story shot, elforyn is garbage. granted this was years ago and it may be improved. and if hercek is putting his reputation on the line using it im guessing they have different qualities.

Last edited:

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope I don't have to sell my Schon or Runde

Schon SP-34 or my Runde 2014

Attachments

• Schon SP-34 chuck-e.jpg
    Schon SP-34 chuck-e.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Schon SP-34 chuck-b.jpg
    Schon SP-34 chuck-b.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 175
  • Schon SP-34 chuck-f.jpg
    Schon SP-34 chuck-f.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 187
  • Runde 2014-h.jpg
    Runde 2014-h.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 172
  • Runde 2014-d.jpg
    Runde 2014-d.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 166

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shall never sell the Ginacue Gail bought me for our tenth anniversary.

I owned an eight-point Gina when I was a teenager, growing up in SF. ALL the top players on the West Coast, at that time, used a Gina -- a few played with a TAD. I bought it off a fellow named Dennis, who in a moment of temporary insanity sold it to me -- with three shafts and a black alligator Gina case -- for $150. Several years later, I sold it back to him for $250. Ah, youth.

Flash forward 25 years or so and for our tenth anniversary and Gail askes what I would like for the event (keep in mind that I had a custom made 1 carat emerald cut diamond with baguettes in the works for her). And I blurted out that I always regretted selling my Gina so many years ago. And she said, "If he's still around making cues get on the phone and get what you want."

I called Ernie and told him the story and described the cue I had previously owned. He said, yes, he remembered the cue but didn't make them quite that way any more and if I wanted one he'd have to pull out the drawings, spend some time on the computer and reload the specs. I said great but with some small changes: I wanted the joint, the inlays, and butt plate in ivory, and a leather wrap. He said no problem and that he would be happy to charge me appropriately. He said eight months.

Six months later he called and said he was sending leather samples for the wrap. He also said that when he looked at the drawings he saw that he used to make this particular cue with an additional ring below that wrap that I had forgotten to mention. He said he took the liberty of adding it, in ivory, at no additional charge, so that it would look just like the cue I had previously owned.

A week later it was in my hands. It was absolutely flawless -- exactly as I remembered it but better.

As to it's playing characteristics, I will tell you the following in complete honesty: when I first got it, I wasn't sure I liked the way it hit. It's a firm solid hit, that somehow, sounds soft. Sorry, I can't describe it any other way. In fact, it was only after three or four other players asked to take a few shots with the cue, that I could hear how soft a hit it had (with hard Mooris).

But nonetheless, despite my minor misgivings I seemed to make a lot of balls with the cue. After just two days, I felt like I was playing a couple of balls better with this cue than I had with any other. I dismissed it as just being "new cue syndrome."

But then, people started telling me (mostly opponents I was relieving of cash) that I had suddenly improved two balls. My practice runs jumped way up. My confidence went way up. After a couple of months I called Ernie and told him how much I loved the cue. And then I asked, "You know, everyone tells me I'm playing two balls better than before with your cue." And he said, "I've built special test equipment and my cues are 97% accurate. The cue alone is worth a ball and a half." Now, you can take that as "a sales story," or hype, or PR or whatever you want. But for my money, you couldn't pull this cue out of my hands with a Mac diesel.

IMO, Ernie is, still, the greatest living cue maker.

Lou Figueroa