Life on the Road as a TD

It sounds like a tiring stressful job Mike but if it's any consolation the Viking Tour Tournament that was recently held in Galesburg Il. sure was appreciated by the locals.

We get precious little exposure to pool played at that level and there were several of us that seldom left the rail that weekend. The tour brought an opportunity for us locals to play some really top level players like Shawn Putnam (who was running the tournament for Viking) James Baraks and Jon Kutcharo.... not to mention several excellent players from Chicago, the Dayton Ohio area, and other areas.

I appreciate what you do!
 
MikeJanis said:
I have seriously been considering buying a foreign vehicle to help save on expenses but to me that's like buying a foreign cue. It just doesn't seem worth it to me to save some dough and as a side effect cost someone here in the US their job.


I bought a Nissan and the guy I bought it from was a red blooded AMERICAN. I thought this Japanese guy would be there in the dealership to sell me the car but to my amazement, they were all AMERICANS.

If you desire a Nissan Titan (it is bigger than a Chevy), I can help you out & get you one for 2% over cost.

I actually thought of coming to Indiana to your event to check it out but knew I wouldn't be welcome. It is a good deal for the players.
 
You know, I've thought about a crown vic...put a spotlight on the driver's side cowling, paint it dark, run steel wheels, and have it sprout a few antennas. I'll bet traffic in the left lane would clear out of your way pretty quickly. :p
 
MikeJanis said:
I have seriously been considering buying a foreign vehicle to help save on expenses but to me that's like buying a foreign cue. It just doesn't seem worth it to me to save some dough and as a side effect cost someone here in the US their job.

I could make some calls for you if you want to buy one of the new Toyota Tundra trucks, built in San Antonio so your still getting American. You actually support foreign countries more by buying chevy or ford, it just depends on if you want to support Mexico or Canada. Very nice riding trucks and 380hp and 400lb torque at 20 mpg. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
 
Mike,

I'd totally check into a Toyota Titan.

When my stepmoms GMC jimmy blew a rod @ 115,000miles. My dad went car shopping and ended up buying a Nissan Rendvous? Its kinda like a Subaru Outback.

But the real selling point was that, the guy at Nissan said, that the companys like Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, are all about making a top notch product.

Plus they dealer has what they call the 300,000mile club. It was a wall full of people who bought brandnew cars and have driven them for over 300,000miles.

And the maintenance on the cars are basically NIL.

I usta have a old Nissan 300zx, well lol i blew out the tranny, but, the car was sitting around for about a year, and one day, i gave the battery a jump and the car started up and idle'd perfectly at 1000rpms, no ticks or anything even on start up. I let the car run for about 30mins and it just purrred, like it was being used every day.
 
Hi Mike;

I hope the pool world returns your hard work and sacrifice. I have been on many a road trip and it ain't that fun. A couple of times I have given Scott Smith rides when he needed them and in talking to him its easy to see and hear the sacrifices he has made to do what he does. Gets you old fast if your not careful, let alone family problems. Hats off to Mike, Scott Smith and all the other guys that travel around to teach us and put on events. Next time you frequent one of their events, give them a big thank you. And if you place, a little cash will be greatly appreciated.

Mike
 
Trip Update

The good news 1st.

I made the 1st leg of my trip of 650.8 miles in 9 hours with no speeding taxes (tickets) or Road Kills. It took way too many gallons of gas (about 60) which cost too much.

The bad news is 3 things. 1st, I was already having exhaust problems before I left. Now, that's not a problem anymore, it pretty much just blew up. The 2nd part is that my back brakes partially seized up.

The 3rd thing is actually part funny in a sick kind of way. The town I'm in, Logansport, IN (the people are pretty nice here) only has 3 possible places I can repair the truck. 2 of them can't get it in until Monday and the 3rd is Ford which wants $180 just to look at the problems. After a few choice words with the Ford guys I'm pretty much stuck until Monday waiting on one of the other shops to get me in.

That Nissan or Toyota is starting to look pretty good right about now.

Wish me luck,

Mj

PS. Slightly Used 2001 Ford F-150sc 4-Sale.............Best Offer....
 
Last edited:
MikeJanis said:
I have seriously been considering buying a foreign vehicle to help save on expenses but to me that's like buying a foreign cue. It just doesn't seem worth it to me to save some dough and as a side effect cost someone here in the US their job.

The Toyota Tundra is made in TX

Ford and GM offshore as much as anyone
 
BazookaJoe said:
Ford and GM offshore as much as anyone


Yeah, I know all about it. My Dad's foundry in Betmore, IA does a lot of casting for US auto makers. After closing several plants her in the US they now send the raw materials overseas to have them made and then shipped back here to sell to the auto makers. It's cheaper to ship the raw material overseas, have the product made there then shipped back here than pay all the US taxes, clean air costs and employees here in the US. It makes me sick !

Offshore really hurts the US families but is great for BIG business. Just thinking about this makes me want to puke.

Does anyone know of a US car that is completely made here in the US ?
 
Finally, a bit of good news.

Sears fixed my brakes for only $105.00. The problem was that the parking break seized up. They took it apart, lubricated it, put new pads on but one of the wires snapped so it's totally disengaged right now. I'll wok on the exhaust when I get to Cleveland. My buddy George Korman owns an auto place (A-1 Auto) there and told me it would just charge me for the parts. Phew.......


I still have another 9 days and 1,000 miles to go on the trip. Anybody giving odds on if there will be another auto related problem or not ?

Overall this has been a great truck and very reliable so I'm betting on NO MORE PROBLEMS.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Mj
 
Last edited:
MikeJanis said:
Finally, a bit of good news.

Sears fixed my brakes for only $105.00. The problem was that the parking break seized up. They took it apart, lubricated it, put new pads on but one of the wires snapped so it's totally disengaged right now. I'll wok on the exhaust when I get to Cleveland. My buddy George Korman owns an auto place (A-1 Auto) there and told me it would just charge me for the parts. Phew.......


I still have another 9 days and 1,000 miles to go on the trip. Anybody giving odds on if there will be another auto related problem or not ?

Overall this has been a great truck and very reliable so I'm betting on NO MORE PROBLEMS.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Mj


I'll take that bet;) I had aToyota 4x4 (T 100) with the 5 series twin cam V6and a 24 gallon tank, if I drove it 65 mph it got 24mpg, at 80 it always got 18mpg it was a stick shift, with the way your rolling down the hwy shifting may not be an issue. Toyota also made a 4x2 T 100 and being low profile and maybe go a slightly larger diameter tire you may get 24 hwy at 80 mph. Just some food for thought.
 
MikeJanis said:
Finally, a bit of good news.

Sears fixed my brakes for only $105.00. The problem was that the parking break seized up. They took it apart, lubricated it, put new pads on but one of the wires snapped so it's totally disengaged right now. I'll wok on the exhaust when I get to Cleveland. My buddy George Korman owns an auto place (A-1 Auto) there and told me it would just charge me for the parts. Phew.......


I still have another 9 days and 1,000 miles to go on the trip. Anybody giving odds on if there will be another auto related problem or not ?

Overall this has been a great truck and very reliable so I'm betting on NO MORE PROBLEMS.
Mike,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Mj

Mike,
If you need your truck looked at or any minor repairs done when you are near Knoxville, let me know. I manage a nationwide auto repair center and I will try to hook you up.

D
 
Yea and I do mechanic work at the hot spot of Charlotte, in Myers Park so I can hook you up at only $140.00 an hour labor and 10% off on parts. We do charge a little more for working on POS ford vehicles since I'm chevy all day everyday, just look at nastycar racing to pick a real winner. Leonard
 
poolcuemaster said:
Yea and I do mechanic work at the hot spot of Charlotte, in Myers Park so I can hook you up at only $140.00 an hour labor and 10% off on parts. We do charge a little more for working on POS ford vehicles since I'm chevy all day everyday, just look at nastycar racing to pick a real winner. Leonard
Yep, if you want a car that turns left the best, buy a chevy.
 
I'll have to say that I would rather be walking down the side of the road with a window crank off a chevy in my hand, than driving a brand new ford. So if you see me walking and you are driving a ford just blow the horn and keep on going. A quote from my alcholic uncle when I was 4 or 5 years old that has stuck with me for years, and fords ain't allowed in my driveway or his till this day. Leonard
 
I don't get it............ How can anyone ***** about the Ford I am Driving. I have almost 275,000 miles on it and it's just starting to break down...!


I gvot my monies worth. Now i just want to umprove on the next 5 years.

So again, can anyone recommend a vehicle that is 100% made in the USA ?

Everyone, thanks foe the help and comments. I really do appreciate them.

Mj
 
Mike,

I dont know of any Vehicle that is 100% made in the USA.

But I'd seriously look into the TITAN or TUNDRA fullsize.

OR!!!! see if anyone makes a truck with the E85 conversion. We have 2 gas stations in town that sell E85, and its always 10cents cheaper. Plus you get better gas mileage too.
 
MikeJanis said:
I don't get it............ How can anyone ***** about the Ford I am Driving. I have almost 275,000 miles on it and it's just starting to break down...!


I gvot my monies worth. Now i just want to umprove on the next 5 years.

So again, can anyone recommend a vehicle that is 100% made in the USA ?

Everyone, thanks foe the help and comments. I really do appreciate them.

Mj


Mike, for the money, and a drivetrain thats been "around" I'd get a Ford F 150 4x2 with the 4.6 litre overhead cam V8. Again, that engine has been a great package for most Fords, except the Town Car, it needed at least a 5.0. Don't get the 4x4, you'll use way more gas, and probably more to insure. I have tho thought most American made pickup trucks are the best made, tho the asian vehicles are starting to turn the corner. Keep in mind, with the Ford since this engine is in allot of their vehicles and for many years, the cost of replacement parts is 'low' compared to another thats only been out for a few years.
Good Luck.
 
MikeJanis said:
I don't get it............ How can anyone ***** about the Ford I am Driving. I have almost 275,000 miles on it and it's just starting to break down...!


I gvot my monies worth. Now i just want to umprove on the next 5 years.

So again, can anyone recommend a vehicle that is 100% made in the USA ?

Everyone, thanks foe the help and comments. I really do appreciate them.

Mj
I drive an Explorer.

I can tell you from personal experience the 5.4 drivetrain is a much better combo than the 4.6. The transmission in the 5.4 setup is a 4R100 and it is a much better unit than the 4R70W that is mated with the 4.6 engine. IMO you have one of the best drivetrain combinations in your truck that is available, foreign or domestic. The only inherent flaw with the Triton engine I have found is the propensity for ignition coil failure at a clip of about 90.00 per coil plus labor (there are 8 seperate coils).

I hope your truck serves you well for miles to come.

As for Leonard,

We can argue the merits of Ford vs. Chevy when I see you at the Shootout.:p :D
 
Back
Top