Lighting for a 9ft table

Adam Brown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Evening,

I have been doing some research on the appropriate height to install a light above a 9ft table. I have read that 60" from the floor produces good lighting. From your experiences, what is the best height to cut down on shadows? What type of bulbs would you recommend to use? Thanks for any input.

Adam

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
Ok I've never measured one but this is how i did mine. The local pool hall had some old light fixtures that were over the 9 ft tables before they got rid of them. Its 6' long. I priced out 6' fluorescents and found them to pricey. So I installed a 2' and 4' ballast and hung it above my table. I centered it and then dropped it until the shadow under the rail dissapeared. Perfect.

Attachments

• PICT0015.JPG
    PICT0015.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 311

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Light height

I would not use 6' light over a 9' table.

We use a 5' light n 7' tables and 8' on 9' tables.

We hang the 7' light at 78" from the floor.

I believe about the same for 9' would be good.

Too low and you cannot do certain shots AND you can dent your head!

Too low a light causes fall off near the edges.

Mark Griffin

Btw Don, nice looking room

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond makes the best lights in the biz, no shadows, wont bang your head(unless your a monster) and also leaves lots of room for Masse' shots

blakeshot27

Banned
Personal, Quiet, Private, Discreet

this is the best lighting there ever was and probably will be.
halogen spots suck :thumbup:

if i wanted to be on stage i would join a broadway musical

Attachments

• 235a.JPG
    235a.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 294

Adam Brown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do appreciate all of your responses and will try your suggestions. From that I get is you don't want shadows under the rails and not light overhanging the table onto the floor. Different lights produce differently and it is probably best to get halogen, is that correct? I was thinking about getting tournament blue Simonis, that seems to brighten things up a bit and I love the way the balls "pop" out on it.

Thanks, Adam

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
P1000639.jpg

I had a light built. It's 8ft long over a 9' Diamond table, 6 bulbs 8' each. I like green cloth... in my day pool tables were green, period! :groucho:

I could have bought a Diamond light for what I ended up spending on mine.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond makes the best lights in the biz, no shadows, wont bang your head(unless your a monster) and also leaves lots of room for Masse' shots
I second the recommendation. My Diamond light hangs 78" off the ground and casts plenty of light using the 4 4100k T8 bulbs they recommend.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 266939

I had a light built. It's 8ft long over a 9' Diamond table, 6 bulbs 8' each. I like green cloth... in my day pool tables were green, period! :groucho:

I could have bought a Diamond light for what I ended up spending on mine.

I bought a used Diamond 8 foot light.

It is 8 foot long, by 4 foot wide. It holds (6) 8 foot flourencent bulbs.

I think I spent $200 for the used one and I have never seen anything better.

Ken