List Your 2 Favorite Pool Games, In Order, and Why

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
My favorite game is which ever I haven't played lately. The newness is always exciting.

Least favorite? The one I just under performed at and blew my wad.

Why? For the same reasons dudes married to babes cheat with ugly broads.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
1. 8-ball. I like that opponents have different table layouts and therefore different strategies. I also like the creativity in pattern play.

2. 9-ball. It’s fast & furious. Also great for gambles.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
8 ball on any size table- you can play it in any language

10 ball on any size table-slop not allowed

ElKabong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. One Pocket, 9ft of course

2. Bank pool ring game, $X per rail with at least 4 players, 9ft'er as well

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
#2 14/1 because it is slower then most other games, it makes you think about each shot you take. I believe it is the hardest game to mast against a strong player. As they could break, and continue shooting, and you may never get to table. I like playing 50 points.

#1. One Pocket as it is like a game of Chess, on a Pool Table.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If you'd asked me twenty years ago, straight pool would b my number one, but not anymore. In order, my top six today are:

1. 9-ball or 10-ball played Texas Express
2. Straight Pool
3. One Pocket
4. Eight Ball
5. 10-ball with call shot and 10-ball last

Nine ball is the most interesting game for me. My favorite parts of nine ball are defense, kicking and two way shots. Two way shots are, to me, the most majestic shots in all of pool, bringing shot conceptualization to a much higher level.

Straight pool is nice because of its variety. Every rack is a new type of challenge and the problem solving can challenge even the finest players.

One pocket has been growing on me. It requires at least as much creativity as any game played on a pool table and the shot design can be so complicated that it baffles even the very best in the discipline. I really enjoy the racks that come down to the last two balls.

I don't have banks on my list because it's not a game I play.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The table has to be a 9’ or 10’ table.
Even 8’ is a step down but 7’, never.
I’d give up pool and play darts instead.

10 Ball and 14.1.....if desperate, maybe 9.
I try to avoid games that allow slop & also
tables that have garage door size pockets.

But there is always 3 cushion, my favorite.

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
American snooker on a 10 ft table. Nine-ball on either an 8 or 9 foot table. I like the challenge of playing on a snooker table as well as the strategies for getting shape or good leaves. Nine ball for the speed of the game.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Interesting... I had to give this some thought. I guess based on mere frequency I play 9 ball (9ft'er) more often than not. 10 ball (9ft'er) seems to be the action game of choice lately so I've been focusing on that a ton as well. League is 8 ball (9ft'er), which when played right requires the most skill of the three.

However, what excites me to play...?

1. 8 ball barbox. (I get such a kick out of how sloppy the pockets are and what you can do with that massive margin for error)
2. Snooker. (rarely played now a days, but I jump at a chance to match up with someone that knows how to play)

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess trick shots can't be a game so I can't pick that. lol

1) Bar table 8 ball- I love the strategy that goes on here. Small table makes it harder to move the cue ball around without running into obstacles. I also think the break isn't as big as in 9ft eight ball. How many times has someone had a huge break on a 7ft table and the balls still cluster up? I also think the safety play is more creative and sometimes more difficult. Safety play in a rotation game is easier. You just have to play a safety on one ball with usually multiple balls to hide behind. Playing a safety on 5 balls with only 3 balls to hide behind, that can be tough.

2) Tie between 1 pocket and bank pool

1 pocket- Love the strategy. It can be really slow but that is part of the mental toughness required to play it.

Bank Pool- Love the creativity and it tests to see how well you know banks.

Both of these games have skills that will help out all the games you play.

Honorable mention- 3 cushion. I love the challenge and the creativity and stroke required for this game.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10-ball using 9b rules. 9b is also fine if we use a magic rack. I like being able to shoot two-way shots and both games have fewer game balls made on the break (in my experience). The games are fast and both players get to play a lot.

1 Pocket - I am still learning, but I really like it. There are so many dimensions to the game that must be mastered. After a lifetime of playing run-out games, it has required some adjustment to play stretches of back and forth safety play and then be able to shoot a difficult shot while not selling out.

I used to like 14.1, but I don’t know many guys who play it any longer. It’s not worth the effort to become more proficient. I have played league 8-ball for a few years, but I am not progressing as I think I should. Occasionally, I can play a game where I felt in control and that I was using recommended strategies for the game. Those games are fun. Too often, I find myself relying on the weakness of my opponent as part of my strategy.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
1. 14.1 by a long shot. I just find it more interesting and enjoy thinking through patterns. I'm always engaged in the game chasing a high run - I don't get bored. The pressure is always on even in my basement. I like putting on a podcast, making a cup of coffee, and playing 14.1.

2. 9 Ball. It's fun and can be fast paced. It's also a nostalgia thing - I enjoy watching those old Accu-Stats tapes from the 90s and in a way grew up with them on in the background throughout college; less now at home. Big shoutout to the Accu-Stats Tuesday Treasures on YouTube now!

Last edited:

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
1.) 1 Pocket
It's is such a fun and challenging game, and helps you learn everything all in one.
Really, it helps with every other aspect of playing pool. The main thing it helps me with is cue control and banks. So if playing other games I'm more confident in my safety or bank attempt. We all know how confidence boosts your game anyway.

2.) 9 Ball/10 Ball

Because they are great games and I just enjoy playing rotation games.

Fay

14.1 ON A 9 FOOT TABLE
I ENJOY THE PRECISION IT TAKES FOR LARGE RUNOUTS
THE DEFENSIVE STRATEGY
AND THE BEAUTY OF WHEN IT ALL COMES TOGETHER

8-BALL ON AN 8 FOOT TABLE
I ENJOY THE STRATEGY AND THE CONTROLLED CHAOS
NOTHING LIKE SINKING THE 8
SEEING ALL 7 OF YOUR OPONENT'S BALLS STILL ON THE TABLE

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
10 ball then onepocket. Next month it will be onepocket then 10 ball. 10 ball because I always feel like I've accomplished something when I break and run. Onepocket because of the strategy and super creative shots.