Lucasi vs. Meucci vs. McDermott

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just curious here. I have owned and shot many games with these brands. I remember back in the late 80's - 90's Meuccis and McDs were the shit when it came to "production" cues. I however now fully like Lucasi's hit and performance over the Meucci's. Meucci and McD tend to run a little more $ also. What do you all think. I am also wondering if some of the Lucasi models might become collectible over the years like some of the classic Meucci models have. Even though the market blows right now for this hobby and sport. I just thought I would give some discussion to the smaller guys.

Joseph Ortega

Daddy's little girl
Silver Member
Lazerrus said:
Just curious here. I have owned and shot many games with these brands. I remember back in the late 80's - 90's Meuccis and McDs were the shit when it came to "production" cues. I however now fully like Lucasi's hit and performance over the Meucci's. Meucci and McD tend to run a little more $ also. What do you all think. I am also wondering if some of the Lucasi models might become collectible over the years like some of the classic Meucci models have. Even though the market blows right now for this hobby and sport. I just thought I would give some discussion to the smaller guys.
Ive played with a Lucasi for years and i think its great! the reason i first got one was because of the price but even now after having tried many other kinds of cues, i still like mine the best.

the only ones i have liked better or the same are a Schon and a Joss and right now thats too expensive for me.

hfelsh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few months back, when I got back into paying pool (after a nearly 7-year absence), I was looking at buying a Meucci, which is what I played with way back in the day. Apparently, Meucci went WAY downhill, with serious quality-control issues, employees selling cues out of the back door, "factory second" cues being sold as such (instead of being destroyed, even on their "limited edition" models), and issues with warranty work (refusing to honor warranties chief among them, according to several major resellers I had spoken with), so much so that many places just stopped carrying Meucci cues entirely. Then Meucci apparently went into bankruptcy, and was brought out by Bob Meucci's daughter, who bought the company from the bankruptcy courts, and they started out-sourcing their cues overseas (with the "Medici" line), and I decided i didn't want to own one. Seems most people will only buy the older "Meucci originals", which were the shiznit back in the day (which is what I played with back in the day, and wish I hadn't sold it when I quit playing years ago.)

So, while searching for a cue, I came across and ended up getting a killer deal (again, IMO) on a McDermott M2-9A "Knight" cue, which retails for $1,200+ (I got it for $510, gently used, no scartches/nicks, in 99% shape IMO), and have loved playing with it. McDermott's lifetime warranty (including new tips every 6 months) is top-notch, and shows how much they're willing to stand behind their cues. I think for "production cues", you can't go wrong with a McDermott, though I've read that on their cheaper cues (under $200 - $300), they sometimes use "not quite as high quality as the more expensive models" wood. IMO their "Elite" series cues are very nice, and considering the inlays and work put into them, aren't really that expensive when considering the materials and the warranty. Their "Prestige" series cues, although expensive, feature 24k gold among other expensive inlays, and look really nice. I also know several people at the place where I play regularly have a Professional series cue, and they all like them.

Just my $0.02 worth, of course.

eyesjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well,....

In the many years I have repaired cues, it is clear that Meucci has gone through many quality transitions, which in my opinion is generally downhill. They went from full splice to inlaid to paint. The Lucasi, since my first one, was a mid range cue in my opinion, as solid as the meucci. If you have a Lucasi that has true wod work in it, NOT stickers for points, you have a solid cue thats resale value is a high percentage of original price. The mcDermott is a tough call, they offered Hi-end cues though the years, but have several lower end cues as well. It more so depends on what you have by each manufacturer, rather than generalizing by manufacturer. My opinion is Lucasi and Meucci are in the same league, while Mcdermott can be both above and below. I feel that is accurate even on the King David and King James Meuccis, some of their higher end offerings.

QUOTE=Lazerrus]Just curious here. I have owned and shot many games with these brands. I remember back in the late 80's - 90's Meuccis and McDs were the shit when it came to "production" cues. I however now fully like Lucasi's hit and performance over the Meucci's. Meucci and McD tend to run a little more $ also. What do you all think. I am also wondering if some of the Lucasi models might become collectible over the years like some of the classic Meucci models have. Even though the market blows right now for this hobby and sport. I just thought I would give some discussion to the smaller guys.[/QUOTE]

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok lets streamline it then. How about a $200.00 to $300.00 model on each maker. Which would you purchase as well as use as a daily shooter?

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
full cue.jpg

McD sharp points.jpg
Lazerrus said:
Ok lets streamline it then. How about a $200.00 to $300.00 model on each maker. Which would you purchase as well as use as a daily shooter?

my shooter was UNDER your price range...

:thumbup:

Last edited:

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Lazerrus said:
I would buy a Meucci Originals pre-dot used or a D-Series McDermott used. Either can be found within your budget. In my opinion, Meucci has not improved since the "Originals" days. McDermott still makes a fine product and old or new, you will get a good personal player.

I have an old Meucci Sneeky Pete with 2 full original pre dot shafts. Everything is straight and looks new (but for the patina on the shafts). It plays as well as it did when Bob made it in 1980. Find a better player than that for $275 delivered!

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Silver Member
IMHO I would go with a tournement series or Professional series McD.
Most of them come with the 3/8 X10 pin and are wood to wood which I find make for a good hit and great feel.

I have heard that the higher end McDermotts with the Quick release joint do not have a great feel to them.

I am biased of course since I use two McD's with 3/8 X10 pins. :)

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Drawman623 said:
I would buy a Meucci Originals pre-dot used or a D-Series McDermott used. Either can be found within your budget. In my opinion, Meucci has not improved since the "Originals" days. McDermott still makes a fine product and old or new, you will get a good personal player.

I have an old Meucci Sneeky Pete with 2 full original pre dot shafts. Everything is straight and looks new (but for the patina on the shafts). It plays as well as it did when Bob made it in 1980. Find a better player than that for $275 delivered!

exact same SP my dad played w/for years (his was made in 70 something though). GREAT playing cue.

My McD was made recently but from a D series forearm that was unused at the McDermott facility (so they say) hence the sharp points. Add the warranty on to a good playing cue, and I say VERY GOOD deal!! :D

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lazerrus...Since Lucasi cues are inexpensive production cues, made in China and imported here, they'll likely become collectible...when pigs fly! :rolleyes: :grin: On the other hand, certain McDermott cues have ALWAYS been collectible.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Lazerrus said:
I am also wondering if some of the Lucasi models might become collectible over the years like some of the classic Meucci models have.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Lazerrus said:

I think any one of the cues will play well for a while. However, I am Billiards retailer, and I build and repair cues, from that stand point of view I would have to spend my money on McDermott.

In todays market Muecci cues are so hit and miss that I have a hard time recommending them to anyone. I do carry them for sale but, the cues I have are intensely inspected. The truth be known, one out of every three Muecci cues I receive from the factory have to be returned because of some form of manufactures defect. Now the people at Muecci are OK to deal with and the contact issues of a few years ago seem to be resolved, but they certainly have major problems with quality control.

I also sell Lucasi cues and while none of the problems listed above are common, these cues have problems with expansion at inlays and metal joints. Which also causes raised and cracked finish, and warp-age along with rattles. These problems are especially obvious in area's with a lot of moisture in the air. This is typical with Asian made cues, do to the woods not being properly aged, and materials used to build them. Another problem that frequently occurs with many Asian made cues is that the adhesives used do not hold well over time or when exposed to temperature change for periods of time. What I am saying here is just being left in a car during the summer or winter will cause the problems above very fast.

McDermott cues outside of the fact that they are made in the USA also come with a full warranty to the original owner. This saids more than any words can say, and no one else offers this warranty including shaft warp-age. To my experience I see very little of the problems I have listed above when dealing with McDermott cues. In addition when it comes to returning cues do to manufactures defects, I may have to return one in fifty do to a problem upon delivery, and this is the best service I have ever received.

The information above is based upon my personal experience over the last five years, and I deal with these products every day. I hope it helps you with your quest for information.

Take Care

KyPLayer

Registered
FOr 200-300 dollars i would look for a deal on the new predator sneaky's just the simple ones.In my opinion predator's r the shizzle.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
KyPLayer said:
FOr 200-300 dollars i would look for a deal on the new predator sneaky's just the simple ones.In my opinion predator's r the shizzle.

The only problem with those cue is that have the same problems as all Asian import cues that I listed above, because they are also made there.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've purchased two Meucci cues in the past 10 years (didn't know any better :D ), and the experience has been somewhat mediocre, at best. The first cue I purchased came with a red dot shaft, and in my opinion plays quite well. Functionally speaking, the cue has been fine. Cosmetically speaking, it leaves something to be desired. The urethane finish is far from perfect, and overall, the craftsmanship seems to be a little subpar to me. The second Meucci cue I purchased is made MUCH better, and I have no complaints with it whatsoever. BUT, it came with a black dot shaft, which in my opinion, "bites the big one". The shaft is very heavy, giving the cue an awkward balance, plus, it feels like you are playing pool with a 2x4. I replaced it with a Predator 314-2 shaft, and now it plays great.

So to sum it up, if you have the opportunity to inspect the cue before you purchase it, then a Meucci might be OK. But, I would never order one off the web, because as Craig said, it seems to be hit or miss when it comes to quality control. Plus, I personally would stay as far away from their black dot shaft as possible.

Good luck!

NineBallNut

Silver Member
I'm surprised that Viking cues have not come up in this discussion. they also offer a guarantee against warping and make some pretty nice hitting cues with a lot of design and joint options.

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
For a little more ($475-$500) you can get a Samsara Barcue.
www.barcue.com

Why buy junk? Samsara is one of the top 3 cuemakers (Billiards Digest magazine). Or a plain Jerry Olivier. Either one could be made to your specs. In the U.S.A.

Beware_of_Dawg

Silver Member
I have 3 lucasi cues I play with almost daily. I've yet to play with another cue that I felt played better. *disclaimer* the original shafts are crap though. I put LD shafts on each of them. (Z, OB1 & BK2)

YaktyYak

Pool Player
Silver Member
McDermott out of those 3, there is no comparison. McDermott all the way. A few other cue brands that are similar in quality and price is Viking (although I think Viking has gone down hill), Joss, Pechauer (as good if consistantly better than McDermott). I would definetly check those out.

-Kyle

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
YaktyYak said:
McDermott out of those 3, there is no comparison. McDermott all the way. A few other cue brands that are similar in quality and price is Viking (although I think Viking has gone down hill), Joss, Pechauer (as good if consistantly better than McDermott). I would definetly check those out.

-Kyle

Interesting. You don't hear nearly as much about Pechauer. I checked out their website and their cue line is handsome indeed. Do you happen to know if all their cues are made in Green Bay, or do they possibly have any models manufactured to their specs offshore and imported?

Beware_of_Dawg

Silver Member
per the website; J. Pechauer custom cues processes all the wood that goes into their cues themselves.