Major Advantage Of Being Cross Dominant?

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am cross dominant and suffer slightly from the problem explained.

I'll gladly try this tonight, although I believe I won't see much improvement. In my quest to find my own vision center about 2 months ago, I think I somehow forced myself to be slightly more right eye dominant and now don't have as much difficulty as in the beginning seeing the right alignement.

Hopefully I'm wrong and this will help more than I think!
Don't force yourself to favour one eye more (in your case the right eye) than you have to. Although I'm left eye dominant, my vision centre is on the inside of the left eye with my head angled slightly so the left eye is closer to the cue ball and object ball.... Only fractionally but it makes the world of difference. The cue is plum in the centre of my chin. With a square head to the line of the shot my chin wouldn't be on the cue.... Much like how Earl shoots. Give it a try and see what you think. It's a good idea to film yourself head on so you can see the cues alignment once down. Don't shoot any balls just get up and back down following your psr. Then do the same with the method I describe and check how your cue is aligned for a straight in. If you don't notice an improvement or God forbid your alignment becomes worse then forget about it, it might not be for you. It's worked great for me but as of yet I haven't tried it with anyone else so it may just be one of those things to works for me.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
BD has a search engine for that....I posted it here a few years ago but don't remember the link. There must be at least one member here with every post ever made to find the link.

:grin-square:

Jeff Livingston

Ooh.. azb has a search too... if you told us the title of your link that you posted, at least one member here might be able to figure out AZs search feature. :D:thumbup::grin-square::confused:

Wheels33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On my journey to soak up as much information as possible on how the eyes work I used to sift through shooting videos on YouTube. I watched several videos on shooting a pistol. Guys kept saying if you were cross dominant to have the gun in the holster on the side of the dominant eye. If I ever shot a pistol, I am right handed and left eye dominant so I would have the gun on my left hip. Then bring it over left to right until it came in line with my vision centre. They kept saying that this ensured you got the gun on line faster and meant less interference from the weaker eye, less movement of the head as it passes the weaker eye in a struggle to get the vision centre over the sights. More bring the sights to the vision centre, not the vision centre to the sights.

I thought about this as I found it really intriguing. Would this be an advantage for cross dominant pool players? I now do this exact thing with a pool cue on every shot and my alignment has become near perfect. No wiggling and altering once down to perfect the alignment... It's set and on target right away. I start with the grip hand and bridge hand outside of my vision centre to the left (because I'm left eye dominant) and bring the grip onto my line of aim through my vision centre and my bridge. Something goes off in my head telling me to stop and I know instantly when my hands are on my line of aim through the vision centre.

As a right hander my natural way was to bring the grip hand right to left, and the bridge hand left to right. I did struggle somewhat with judging if the grip was on line. Purely because it's coming from my weaker eyes side. I urge anyone who is cross dominant to give it a try and post how they found it.

Do you think it could be an advantage to someone being cross dominant? Thoughts?

I tried this last night, and I like it. The thing I like most is that it cuts down a lot of unnecessary cue movement, and gets my cue on line sooner.

Good post, Pidge!

1outofthemoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm also cross eye dominate (rh left eye) and I find it easier to step back from the table and get my line. then I walk into it and set my bridge and down. If i feel like i'm out of line I stand back up and realign.

Ahgao86

Registered
I'm also cross eye dominant. Right handed, left eye dominant. I never realized it until recently when I realized that I miss shots even though I seem to see that I'm correctly ok the line when standing up. That led me to start searching and finally understanding that eye dominance and your stance in reference to it has an impact. So now my stance is very much angled to my right, and most times after a session of pool I feel an ache in my left (bridge hand) shoulder due to the stance. I cue to the left of my chin and my head is tilted so that my left eye is nearer to the cue ball.

Don Owen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once heard or read that among professional baseball players cross dominance is much more prevalent than among the general population. I have often wondered it that is true of pool players.
-Don

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There have been many discussion about stroking and aiming, however I think there will more insight on the horizon regarding vision control and sighting.

Ahgao86

Registered
I've been playing more often recently and here are some of my findings. My cue has to be on the left of my chin and my face has to be tilted at a slight angle so that my left eye is above the cue. My body is tilted more than a 45 degree angle to my line of aim in order to accommodate the head position. That also results with my bridge arm stretched out and at a little bit of an awkward angle. After a 2 hour session I usually have a slight sore on the shoulder of my bridge arm. Unfortunately for me, that is the only way I am able to sight down my cue shaft and stroke correctly without delivering any unintentional spin and make sure I'm aiming where I am "looking". The other day I had 3 thin cuts which I missed completely. I realized it's my stance.

If there are any cross dominant players who seem to have an issue with aiming, putting unintentional spin sometimes and all, I hope this might help you as it has helped me. Feel free to drop me a pm if you need more details.

Jameson Chin

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing more often recently and here are some of my findings. My cue has to be on the left of my chin and my face has to be tilted at a slight angle so that my left eye is above the cue. My body is tilted more than a 45 degree angle to my line of aim in order to accommodate the head position. That also results with my bridge arm stretched out and at a little bit of an awkward angle. After a 2 hour session I usually have a slight sore on the shoulder of my bridge arm. Unfortunately for me, that is the only way I am able to sight down my cue shaft and stroke correctly without delivering any unintentional spin and make sure I'm aiming where I am "looking". The other day I had 3 thin cuts which I missed completely. I realized it's my stance.

If there are any cross dominant players who seem to have an issue with aiming, putting unintentional spin sometimes and all, I hope this might help you as it has helped me. Feel free to drop me a pm if you need more details.

Jameson Chin

If you are sore and in pain after a 2 hour session - you are doing it wrong, even if you are a world beater in those two hours. Get an instructor.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to add a brief comment or two. In my experience, don't think you can tell whether you have a straight stroke or not unless you have it on camera from the top, front and rear angles, and in slow motion. The stroke motion is very fast and can fool the "naked eye" into appearing straight. Executing a perfect follow shot with both balls falling into the pocket does not guarantee that you have a straight stroke. You may just be compensating errors perfectly.

Second comment is that not all unintentional spin/off center hits are due to the vision in the wrong place. If you have any tension in your fingers/hand/wrist it is very likely that your fingers are contributing to the unintentional spin.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I would like to add a brief comment or two. In my experience, don't think you can tell whether you have a straight stroke or not unless you have it on camera from the top, front and rear angles, and in slow motion. The stroke motion is very fast and can fool the "naked eye" into appearing straight. Executing a perfect follow shot with both balls falling into the pocket does not guarantee that you have a straight stroke. You may just be compensating errors perfectly.

Second comment is that not all unintentional spin/off center hits are due to the vision in the wrong place. If you have any tension in your fingers/hand/wrist it is very likely that your fingers are contributing to the unintentional spin.

That's one of the reasons why I believe you should learn to pocket balls with spin on, just about, every shot however slight the amount may be. It greatly reduces the chance of "unintentional" spin. :)

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

this device will tell you how off line you are and let you see a side view/from the ceiling view and from the back view
it will tell you how many degrees off center you are
http://www.cue-md.com/

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's one of the reasons why I believe you should learn to pocket balls with spin on, just about, every shot however slight the amount may be. It greatly reduces the chance of "unintentional" spin. :)

I guess I will never understand why people don't understand the fallacy of that kind of thinking.

For every degree off center you hit, you change the amount of squirt and swerve. Which means, if you can't hit the cb where you intend to, you can't accurately judge the amount of squerve and throw in the shot. Just because you hit off-center does not mean you made the shot easier.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I guess I will never understand why people don't understand the fallacy of that kind of thinking.

For every degree off center you hit, you change the amount of squirt and swerve. Which means, if you can't hit the cb where you intend to, you can't accurately judge the amount of squerve and throw in the shot. Just because you hit off-center does not mean you made the shot easier.

Argue that with the greatest player to ever live. Efren...

All the top players Ive seen and played against in the past use spin on most shots....

Learn it, live it, love it...

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Argue that with the greatest player to ever live. Efren...

All the top players Ive seen and played against in the past use spin on most shots....

Learn it, live it, love it...

I didn't say not to use it. I did say your reasoning was wrong.

Ahgao86

Registered
Well there is no more "sore" now. I would say it's kinda like the first time I took snooker lessons years ago and my coach told me to stand in the proper stance with the chin on the cue. After every session my body was sore because it wasn't used to the stance. But after getting used to it and frequent playing, no more sore. I do agree that it's tough to see if you're cueing straight and why there is unintentional spin. I'm actually referring to those instances where you "perceive" that you are spot on with your aiming, but the instant your cue tip hits the ball you know and you see the error and you're like "What?! Why is it that the ball isn't going in the exact direction I'm aiming at?!". For me, it was that obvious and it really is my stance that's the problem. Not sure if anyone else experiences this, but just my findings. :smile: