Make Other Wood Products?

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
After getting some books on lathes from the library, and learning that 90 percent of the books material is based on "woodturning" (wood bowls, chairs, other stuff), I was wondering if any cuemakers use their equipment to make other items.

I believe one cuemaker on AZ used to make guitars, but I can't remember who right now.

Any pics would be great. I'd have to think some of the talented members here have made some amazing stuff, especially with all the various woods cuemakers use.

Thx.

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used my taper machine to make towel rack dowels. Tried to make an arrow once too. Made wine bottle stoppers and just bought the hardware to build a peppermill. It can get pretty boring turning shafts.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
You wind up making all kinds of stuff, really cool. I am working on a milled putter right now.

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
I may be going into the pen making business. I'm also looking at peppermills, rolling pins, martial arts equipment, and anything else round.

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Dan Dishaw is a guitar maker. Darren Hill is pretty crafty from what I understand. I've made pens, but there is really nothing to it whatsoever, and I am sure many others have too.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Lexi, if you're going to do that, I'd suggest a mini lathe. You can do much with a cue lathe but a mini wood lathe would suit your purpose better if you are going to make pens and pepper mills.

With a mini wood lath, you have a tool rest and with the use of regular turning chisels, you can be a lot more creative than using a cross slide with cutting tools.

Check EBay, you will need a special mandrel for turning pens.
Pen kits are dirt cheap after than. Also, on EBay, you can get smaller chisels which are better suited for smaller projects on a mini lathe.

$100 will get you started with chisels, mandrel and a crap pile of pen kits after you buy a small lathe. Which mini lathe you buy is up to you.
I got mine brand new for $125.

There are many wood turning tutorials on UTube if you care to watch them. anything from pens, bowls peppermills and bottle stoppers.
Check it out.

Last edited:

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Kind of surprised more cuemakers haven't chimed in.

No chess sets, pool cases, etc...?

Anyone know if someone makes pens that look like pool cues? Wouldn't mind having a little Szamboti 4 pointer with some black ink, lol.

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Not round but we do a lot of Worm Bins for recycling paper and kitchen garbage . Sent them as far as Germany and Australia . I also do pens and canes . J/ps and a few cues . Always looking for something new . Jim

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Kind of surprised more cuemakers haven't chimed in.

No chess sets, pool cases, etc...?

Anyone know if someone makes pens that look like pool cues? Wouldn't mind having a little Szamboti 4 pointer with some black ink, lol.

WilleeCue once showed pictures of the matching pens he made for some of his cues. I tried to find the thread, but couldn't.

Gary