making a cue more forward-balanced- ?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know you can make a joint heavier- pros and cons?

I guess a shaft can be made heavier, but that's limited by its dimensions, what wood, etc.- ?

just wondering what options are available/what's preferred amongst y'all, and why- thanks.

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve seen some guys use longer joint pins and pins of different material…to mess with balance…. After cue is built…. Probably amid joint extension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Removing weight bolts, changing to a brass pin if that works on your cue and using heavier shafts is your options. But generally if you have a cue that don't suit you, get another that does...
Tweaking something that's already made is always more difficult and there is always the chance of something unexpected happening when doing things like changing the joint pin.

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A purple heart shaft and a heavier joint pin will make something forward weighted. I core my cues with heavier wood up front or use a steel joint, when a customer wants something forward weighted.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lead tape at the joint.
Used to use lead tape on golf clubs.
Cheap quick fix.
And if you dont like it, can be reversed.
On a cue that is already made use this method on the shaft just above the joint. If you like it then get the cuemaker to get a small steel rod cut to weigh the same as the lead tape and drill into the shaft and epoxy it in. You might also need to reduce the weight bolt size in the rear of the cue.
Before a cue is built forward balancing is done with joint and joint pin selection, wood choices for forearm and shaft, etc..

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
hi joey, before- I like a forward-balanced cue, just looking to learn more about how you cuemakers do it
Use lighter woods and bumper/hardware in the back of the cue. Use diff joint material,pin or type up front, denser wood on forearm. Take care of balancing the butt the shaft doesn’t need extra weight besides denser maple for that one maybe or mods like adding Weight inside above the joint.

Imop balance should flow not suddenly changing weight randomly in a perfect world. one piece cue with no joint is the most ideal cue. But we use joint so they can be taken apart and stored easier and safer..less chances of warp having a joint.

Related to this are Masse cues weighting….tungsten powder or rod work well…so do threaded steel rods cored into the masse butt…not really a balance thing, masse cues are short and need alot of weight to be effective.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just a quick note to say thanks to all who responded
I put some lead tape on my cue, as shown, and like the change it made
it's only about a third of an ounce, but it helps the shaft stay down some
maybe a little more weight would feel even better, I'm going to experiment more
and I'm wondering if I would benefit from using a more regular-balanced cue
but also a heavier shaft- ?

Attachments

• leadtape.JPG
    leadtape.JPG