Maple? In the Nose...which plays better?

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
I was just looking at two new identical Barnharts in the gallery, one curly maple, one birdseye maple and wondered...Just in your opinion...which maple plays the "best" in the nose/forearm of the butt: curly, birdseye, straight-grain, or all the same...thanks!

edit: not talking about the Barnharts specifically, just maple in forearms in gereral, thx.

Last edited:

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
If you can tell the difference and prove that it is because of the wood, singing monkeys will fly out of my a$$.

dld

I'll put that one down as "all the same"...lol, thx.

Joey, seems like it is in most cues nowadays, but I'm not talking about just the two Barnharts...I'm asking about maple in gereral for forearms, thx.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Look at the forearm of almost every Schon cue still in existence.
And no, they're not cored. Schons are known for their hit and playability.

KJ

Piratejethro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at the forearm of almost every Schon cue still in existence.
And no, they're not cored. Schons are known for their hit and playability.

KJ

straight from Schon's website it says they are built on a "The cue butts are built on a special hybrid core of laminated woods." I never thought they were cored either until I read that......surprised me.

could not post link, I didn't have enough posts to be able to post a link yet.....

http://www.schoncues.com/html/about_our_cues.html

Last edited:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
If you work on these cues as I do, you realize that statement is misleading.
The 'under wrap' section USED to be a laminated handle but is no longer.
They have gone to a std. 1 pc Maple 'under wrap' section. The cues are not cored.
The cues have an 'A' jnt.
Thanx for your input.

KJ

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
And these singing Monkeys, would their names be, Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork.

Hey, hey, we're the Monkeys.

douglas cues

Registered
i dont know anything about asx monkeys but no 2 pieces of wood hits the same no matter what you do mother nature takes care of that

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
OK, sounds like "all the same" is the majority winner of our small poll, so far. Apparently, maple is maple is maple and straight doesn't hit any better than bird's eye or curly, thanks!

Piratejethro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you work on these cues as I do, you realize that statement is misleading.
The 'under wrap' section USED to be a laminated handle but is no longer.
They have gone to a std. 1 pc Maple 'under wrap' section. The cues are not cored.
The cues have an 'A' jnt.
Thanx for your input.

KJ

Thank you for letting me know. Much appreciated the clarification! :)