Maple shafts from bowling alley wood

JUSTABANGER 2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there was a few cue makers who turned down some of these. I was wondering how they worked out. I have a chance to get some wood from an old alley and I'm curious is it worth messing with? Thanks in advance for any input. JUSTABANGER

the kidd

VOTE ONE TIME
Silver Member
I heard bad things like nails, oil soaked wood etc.
I know there was a few cue makers who turned down some of these. I was wondering how they worked out. I have a chance to get some wood from an old alley and I'm curious is it worth messing with? Thanks in advance for any input. JUSTABANGER

Last edited:

JUSTABANGER 2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know as far as the nails there supposed to be nailed on the edges so most will be gone once they are turned down. I've never heard about the oil though.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
It depends on what you are dealing with in the first place. The local place closed here and I wasn't able to get there with enough time to do anything. I was told to take whatever I wanted, but had to do it myself in the next 3 hours. I could have had 3 lanes. The issue was removing them. The old owners were there and had taken a slab out for themselves. I can't remember all that was involved, but I know they said "3 hours.....a pain in the ass.. and it weighed a ton".

That was only about a 30 foot square piece. The lane was 8/4 with some steel reinforcement. He said it weighed at least 300lbs IIRC and they used 5 guys to move it.

I read through the "bowling alley shaft wood" threads and I'll the general consensus is that it is still just wood. It isn't anything special.

I wanted to use it for workshop tables myself....

If you get it for free then you only lose your time and most likely some blades from cutting it. I will suggest you use a metal detector to see if and where the nails are. I never got the chance, so I don't know what you will be dealing with exactly.

Tony with Guerra cues would know better. I think his buddy cut up a bunch for him.

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rumor that I've always heard is that the alley wood is old and hard...supposedly hard from taking some many hits with balls.

JUSTABANGER 2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are piece's of the lane that are still together there 11 feet long by 44 or 48 inches wide. They want $150 each for them. Maybe I'd be ahead just to pass on these.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The rumor that I've always heard is that the alley wood is old and hard...supposedly hard from taking some many hits with balls.

It's a lovely story but it dun't add up.
Wood is not like steel. Pounding them does not do any good. You pound thick steel on an anvil, you make them thinners and stronger.
With wood, you damage them .
Imagine boards that were cut not for turning round and straight end product.
They wouldn't be concerned with grain direction. Grains could skew to the center of the planks, they don't care.
These crooked boards will be nailed to a not-so flat floor after ???
Then sanded flat on top?
Then pounded with balls for years?
Which directions do the grains point to after that?:grin-square:
It might be a nice project.

I saw some. Looked at the banana grains and ugly make-up of the pieces.
I wouldn't trade one good dowel for 100 feet of them.
Sorry to disappoint.
I used to think they were hot too.

Last edited:

MidLifeCrisis

Just loves cues...
Silver Member
Tony with Guerra cues would know better. I think his buddy cut up a bunch for him.

[Not a cue-maker]
I've got one of Tony's cues both with a regular maple shaft and one made from bowling alley wood. The bowling alley shaft stays in the case...as I prefer the regular maple one. It feels more lively to me :smile:
JMHO... To each his own!!
[/Just offering an opinion]
Clint

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Great work top surfaces... id buy them and make work benches....

That's probably their best use.
Then again, u have too many Listas already.

You get around this part of the jungle, you gotta see my shafts at .525 and .570 now. If you've seen better bunch, I'd wanna know.

GatzkeCues

It used to be a hobby
Silver Member
Crap shoot

I think it is kind of a crap shoot.
I got some a few years ago that was installed in the 50's.
It was a lot of work but some was junk, some was good and some was great.
Only you can decide to roll the dice.... or bowling ball that is.

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
These are piece's of the lane that are still together there 11 feet long by 44 or 48 inches wide. They want $150 each for them. Maybe I'd be ahead just to pass on these.

For $150, you can buy a pretty decent amount of 1 inch shaft dowels that are already sortred, graded, and ready for turning. I wouldnt waste my time with bowling alley wood.

Joe

Piratejethro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will try this out one day, but merely because my cousin owns a bowling alley with 8 lanes, good maple on the front 1/3 of the lanes. He has been in the business (alleys) for quite a while now, and he says that on his lanes, the front 1/3 or so is hard maple, the middle is actually pine, and the back end where the pins sit is maple again. Don't rightly know why, but I made a deal with him that if he ever replaces the lanes with synthetic, I get to pick up some maple from him. So I will probably eventually try this, but it won't cost me much, if anything, except time.

Jim Notestine