Matchrooms U.S. Team Selection Article ?

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
you're missing the most important part of that...

Did anyone notice this about Matchrooms U.S. Selection article on the main page
in "Latest News" section ?

Mosconi Cup USA Team Selection - Reverts to ranking plus wild cards

MATCHROOM SPORT can announce that the selection process for Team USA at the 22ndannual PartyPoker Mosconi Cup will revert to rankings as well as wild cards. This follows two consecutive years when the side was handpicked.

The Mosconi Cup will be taking place from 7th to 10th December at a prestige venue in the USA, to be announced in the coming weeks.

The first points tournament to take place in the schedule of events is the 9 Ball competition at the Derby City Classic which gets underway this weekend at the Horseshoe in Indiana. Players eligible for Team USA, who finish in the top 32, will be awarded points on a sliding scale.

The full calendar of qualifying events as well as the points system to be used will be announced in due course. There will be three players selected from the ranking list as well as two wildcards, and all will be confirmed around the end of October. Ranking lists will be published on www.matchroompool.com as well as the Facebook page and Twitter feed of the Mosconi Cup."

Define "Players Eligible", please ?

Obviously a Euro who finishes in the top 32 isn't eligible for the U.S. Team. I don't think this is what this means though ???

So does this mean players that have been barred on the QT, are not eligible. I am starting to lose a little interest in the Mosconi Cup,
I am sad to say. It's all getting a little to political for my taste. If I want politics I'll watch the news !!!

Instead of trying to be slick or whatever you want to call it, just come out and
announce what U.S. players are not eligible for the Mosconi Cup and why, they are not.

This MO is getting tiring.

It's about time for Pro9dg, to come in with some sort of cryptic post. :D

It says three players will be SELECTED from the top 32 and then 2 wild cards.

So it means they have to choose 3 players OUT of the 32 that are eligible and then they can choose 2 more that don't have to be in the top 32 point eligible players.

So it's basically no different from last year except they aren't going to narrow it down to 8 so early.

There is STILL no definitive criteria for the top 3.

Jaden

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am starting to lose a little interest in the Mosconi Cup,
I am sad to say. It's all getting a little to political for my taste. If I want politics I'll watch the news !!!
lol Don't interpret this press release in a contorted way and then get upset over how you interpret it. It just sounds to me like it means American players, i.e., Jayson Shaw is not eligible.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
That is my read. Players eligible means American male players. Although, I guess females could qualify if they finished in the top 32.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
That is my read. Players eligible means American male players. Although, I guess females could qualify if they finished in the top 32.

And Jaden pointed out that it doesn't say the top 3 will be selected.

Mike - I think you should have Matchroom quantify some of these points before the press release was posted.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
That is probably the place for an interview with Luke.

We try our best to fact check press releases before they are posted, and we will edit out falsehoods before we post a PR.

I will see if either Mark C or myself can get Luke on Skype for some clarification.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the three "selected" end up being anything other than the top three American players, then Matchroom shows that this is nothing but a big f'ing joke, which I'm beginning to suspect more and more.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think I contorted anything at all. I stated in my post that if, ****

Obviously **** a Euro who finishes in the top 32 isn't eligible for the U.S. Team. I don't think this is what this means though ???

or didn't you read that ?

Or, maybe you're a big fan of stating the obvious, and you think that's what Matchroom is doing. I don't, but that also doesn't mean they'll own up to what they
meant either. For history shows that they haven't come out and stated who's already ineligible.

As long as you feel like telling me what I am doing.
Let me say, try not being so naive.
It is a contorted interpretation, which is fine if you had just brought it up as an interesting possible interpretation. But you then proceeded to complain about how political the whole thing is and that you're now losing interest because of it, lol.

Imagine that they had left out the phrase about being eligible. It wouldn't have made sense. Why would they award points to, say, Chinese players? So they included a clarifying phrase about eligibility.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
" The full calendar of qualifying events as well as the points system to be used will be announced in due course. "

Relax.
There's no point in using a ranking system if you don't intend to use the best players that the ranking system will produce.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did anyone notice this about Matchrooms U.S. Selection article on the main page
in "Latest News" section ?

Mosconi Cup USA Team Selection - Reverts to ranking plus wild cards

MATCHROOM SPORT can announce that the selection process for Team USA at the 22ndannual PartyPoker Mosconi Cup will revert to rankings as well as wild cards. This follows two consecutive years when the side was handpicked.

The Mosconi Cup will be taking place from 7th to 10th December at a prestige venue in the USA, to be announced in the coming weeks.

The first points tournament to take place in the schedule of events is the 9 Ball competition at the Derby City Classic which gets underway this weekend at the Horseshoe in Indiana. Players eligible for Team USA, who finish in the top 32, will be awarded points on a sliding scale.

The full calendar of qualifying events as well as the points system to be used will be announced in due course. There will be three players selected from the ranking list as well as two wildcards, and all will be confirmed around the end of October. Ranking lists will be published on www.matchroompool.com as well as the Facebook page and Twitter feed of the Mosconi Cup."

Obviously a Euro who finishes in the top 32 isn't eligible for the U.S. Team. I don't think this is what this means though ???

So does this mean players that have been barred on the QT, are not eligible. I am starting to lose a little interest in the Mosconi Cup,

Instead of trying to be slick or whatever you want to call it, just come out and
announce what U.S. players are not eligible for the Mosconi Cup and why, they are not.

This MO is getting tiring.

It's about time for Pro9dg, to come in with some sort of cryptic post. :D

EDIT: What I want to know is.
After all the points events are completed, will the top three U.S. players be taken based solely on their finishing positions ?
I doubt it's nefarious, but it deserves clarification.

Any group, competition, etc., can have their own rules and regulations for eligibility. It could be as simple as "a player to be deemed eligible for the USA Mosconi Team must be/have....."

and then list it out...

E.g.,

Green Card holders without Citizenship, probably not eligible.
Visa holders on long-time habitation without Citizenship, probably not eligible
Anyone that might have done anything that goes against the written spirit of competition or against the explicit rules of the Mosconi competition..., maybe lose their eligibility.

Whatever, I don't think it's a bad thing to just explicitly state the eligibility requirements. That way, at the very least, we don't have umpteen million threads on why so-and-so can't be on the Mosconi Cup team.

Freddie <~~~ not eligible to be President of the USA