Math Questions For Pool Players:

JC

Coos Cues
i ask questions and start math discussions.

Please reread the thread title.

Your welcome to contribute the price of entry is articulation of math and physics in written English.

Its ok to say silly things nonlinear spaces are like that.
Your question has zero to do with math and physics and everything to do with your bizarre personal problems including the need to inform us of your nut cancer.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The area of the contact patch on a cloth-covered table can be estimated by how quickly a spinning ball stops spinning and knowing the coefficient of sliding friction. Both of those are fairly easy to measure. The problem is complicated because the weight of the ball is distributed over the patch in a non-uniform way, so you end up with a tricky integral to do and a couple of assumptions to make. Also, spinning in place probably changes the coefficient of sliding friction during the spin. I think the result from a simple analysis will probably give you the area within a factor of two or so.
Out of interest, did you work this out from a 'cold' start, or have you thought about this before?

I understand that you're very good with the physics of the game, but the idea of working out the contact area from factors as obscure (or at least not immediately obviously related) as speed and friction looks, to the uninitiated, like an incredible leap of weaving things together.

Although perhaps to people who are knowledgeable about these things, drawing on variables in this way is a learned skill.

I like it very much, but I remember enough about integrals not to want to go back there!

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

Your welcome to contribute the price of entry is articulation of math and physics in written English

You must have slipped in through the side door because you haven't demonstrated an aptitude for math, physics or English.

"You're" is the word you are looking for.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
i ask questions and start math discussions.

Your welcome to contribute the price of entry is articulation of math and physics in written English.

Its ok to say silly things nonlinear spaces are like that.
I think you are posing, actually. I dont think you know shit about anything really... I think you picked a topic that few here would be able to argue against or even make the effort to do so in order to posture yourself as someone knowledgeable.

Hell, at this point reading your posts, I don't think you play pool at all, or at least not in any form of competition or with any method of actively trying to improve. I think you are going to the poolhall with socks tied around your cues trying to impress bangers when an actual pool player can see right through it.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I think you are posing, actually. I dont think you know shit about anything really... I think you picked a topic that few here would be able to argue against or even make the effort to do so in order to posture yourself as someone knowledgeable.

Hell, at this point reading your posts, I don't think you play pool at all, or at least not in any form of competition or with any method of actively trying to improve. I think you are going to the poolhall with socks tied around your cues trying to impress bangers when an actual pool player can see right through it.
Poolhall? I don't believe his bus transfer is valid on that route.
Every picture he has shown of a table has been from the clubhouse at the apartment complex down the road from his mom's place.

gerryf

No the math question is to generalize the statement DrDave made.
There are only two contact areas, cue to cue ball and cue ball to cloth.

Instead of asking for if "swerve is possible" I am doing the measured and calculated analysis to determine if his theory is worth investigating.
So far I got it up in a computer simulation, the first problem I had was placing the sphere on the surface, I have doubts about it touching at the plane tangentially.

Are there forces acting and which are negligible and which are worth noting. I suspect DrDaves theory is rooted in seeing, not calculating.
The problem with seeing is the explanation can be whatever you want it to be.

I read your posts and don't understand at all what you're trying to achieve.

What statement of Dr. Dave's are you referring to? Can you quote it? (A link to a video that has lots of statements in it is no help at all. Be precise what exactly you are contesting.)

Can you describe Dr. Dave's theory that you refer to?

I have heard about DrDave and his so called swerve theory.

DrDave's sense of physics is broken.
Can you describe why Dr. Dave's sense of physics is broken?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Playing pool in space. How could you keep pool balls in a fixed position on a pool table in a space station?

I heard Bezos is going up and he might want to play pool.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Ouch. Not a point. Almost impossible to model f(x). Really tough equation because most of the components of the equation that would determine the surface area of contact are likely exponential functions and not linear. A few of the variables that come to mind.

1. The resilience of the material the ball is made of as it undergoes deformation. (Not linear function and depends on other variables.)
  2. The resilience of the material the slate is made of as it undergoes deformation. (Not linear function and would depend on many of the other variables.)
  3. The resilience of the cloth under the ball as it undergoes deformation. (Not linear function.)
  4. The mass of the ball.
  5. The diameter of the ball.
  6. The smoothness of the ball.
  7. The thickness of the slate under the ball. (The slates gravity acts upon the ball
  8. The mass of the materials between the ball and the center of the earth as the gravitation of the matter under the ball acts upon the ball. (Slate, cloth, wood, etc.)
  9. The deformation of the cloth under the balls weight (mass) as the cloth conforms to the shape of the ball. (Not a linear function AND depends on the other variables)
  10. The mass of the cloth under the ball. (Not a linear function as the area under the ball increases AND it depends on all the other variables.)
  11. The distance of the ball from the center of the planet earth. (Greater distance equals less earth gravity acting upon the ball)
  12. The distance of the ball from the sun, and the moon and any other sources of gravitation acting upon the ball. (many more exponential equations.)
  13. Is the ball in motion or at rest?
  14. How level is the slate?
Now I’m just numb. What other variables would affect the surface area of contact between the ball and the cloth?
The speed of light.