Matlock vs Keith

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Keith played strong as a teenager, but he believes he was in his prime beginning in late teens to mid 20s.

Joe Salazar has always been kind to Keith when we'd run into him on the road. Today, of course, he deals in collector and good shooting cuesticks. Like Keith, he's got self-esteem and knows who he is. Nobody can take away his fond memories of when he was soaring at heights beyond our gaze. Tracy Joe was a monster on the bar box when he was hitting 'em, as was Keith.

Everybody has their streak, some longer than others. Tracy's streak was before Keith's, so when Keith tangled with him, I'm not sure which one was in their prime, if any. As we all know, in pool anything can happen with two strong players. Sometimes it doesn't matter how strong you play, and the luck factor may play a key role. Back then, Keith was running packages. You can't give a good fight on a field of green if you're benched while the other guy is running out, running out, running out. :p

So true, I remember back in the early nineties when tang hoa was winning tons of tournaments and went deep in the us open, second maybe? I just saw tang play last night and... Well, lets just say he is far from the player he used to be.

Perhaps Keith can't do it now, but Keith has DONE it...so has Tang...

clint3612

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew David beat Keith bad but 24 ahead is a pretty big lead!! Much more convincing than that one 10 ahead session Keith won. David was always known as a thoroughbred and I think Keith as quarter miler. In the long run David is going to beat guys like Keith. David put too much pressure on people. Good breaking, kicking, jumping,shooting. David had/has it all. Keith is explosive but if u lock them in a room for 3 days I would empty out on David

clint3612

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just talked to David, and he wants to clear things up about this gaff table with the buzzer.There was nothing phony about the table,you just don't want to admit you got beat on the square. The match was 8 ahead for 2000 guaranteeing 3 sets,David won the first set,Keith won the second,then David won 3 in a row, winning a total of 6000.He went on to say that the match lasted 5 hours,and that he's in Olathe if you want to play some.

Yeah David remembers everything. There's no way there was a buzzer on that table. That does sound ridiculous when you think about it. Even to suggest it is ridiculous

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
David, that sure looks like Tommy K. to me??

It's not though Jay, me & Calvin were/are real good friends with Jimmy Sanders, he's from Shreveport, he always played lights out pool on the bar box with the light cue ball, I was at that tournament and it is definitely Jimmy, Jimmy didn't play many tournaments but he played in that one.,

and thats Floyd Trice from Little Rock standing besides Danny Cook on the top right of the photo.

Tommy Kennedy didn't play that tournament.

Ask Buddy Hall who the player is sitting, he will tell you.......

David

Last edited:

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith played strong as a teenager, but he believes he was in his prime beginning in late teens to mid 20s.

Joe Salazar has always been kind to Keith when we'd run into him on the road. Today, of course, he deals in collector and good shooting cuesticks. Like Keith, he's got self-esteem and knows who he is. Nobody can take away his fond memories of when he was soaring at heights beyond our gaze. Tracy Joe was a monster on the bar box when he was hitting 'em, as was Keith.

Tracy Joe was a monster barbox player. He had been on the road and slayed many top players before he met Keith. In his travels Joe had clobbered guys like Larry Hubbert and Mike Sigel - all on a barbox. His strategy was to keep his opponents away from the table, and he had the skills to do just that.

Everybody has their streak, some longer than others. Tracy's streak was before Keith's, so when Keith tangled with him, I'm not sure which one was in their prime, if any. As we all know, in pool anything can happen with two strong players. Sometimes it doesn't matter how strong you play, and the luck factor may play a key role. Back then, Keith was running packages. You can't give a good fight on a field of green if you're benched while the other guy is running out, running out, running out. :p

When Joe moved to Southern California he had his way with all the players in the area, including Keith. Over several meetings, he had Keith and his backers stuck $25k. But Keith was still a rising star. In one epic matchup, Keith steamrolled over Joe so strong, Joe disappeared from the pool scene for 8 years. I'm sure at the time, he had other priorities aanyway. Joe DID make his way back to the game and was a force to be reckoned with, but not as he had been long before.

I knew both of these guys and think the world of them. They both can look back on incredible memories of doing battle on the pool table. I'm glad they don't give a hoot about what people think of their talents. They've proven themselves many times over to be among the best to pick up a cue. The entertainment these guys provided will be etched in my mind indefinitely.

Last edited:

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not though Jay, me & Calvin were/are real good friends with Jimmy Sanders, he's from Shreveport, he always played lights out pool on the bar box with the light cue ball, I was at that tournament and it is definitely Jimmy, Jimmy didn't play many tournaments but he played in that one.,

and thats Floyd Trice from Little Rock standing besides Danny Cook on the top right of the photo.

Tommy Kennedy didn't play that tournament.

David

I knew a Tommy Sanders who was a top player that played at Guys and Dolls in Shreveport, but didn't know a Jimmy Sanders.. It does look like Kennedy to me also.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny and I played several sets on the Bar Table in the late 80s....I beat him two sets in Ft. Wayne Indiana (then we played the next day in Indianapolis on the Big Track) - he beat me a set in Alabama, the bar closed so we just had time for one race. In Ft. Wayne I beat Johnny two sets then gave Tony Ellin the Wild 8 and won another two sets.....that was called "outrunning the nutz". ;) It happens sometimes.

I sure didn't see anyone offering Johnny weight on a bar box in 89, except maybe David. Look how many times he has won JOB's. Someone should ask Johnny how many bar box tournaments he has won? I would guess around 100. He's a very underrated bar box player. The first time I met Tony Ellin was in the 80's, he gave Earl Kellum the 8 and beat him. We played a few times with me getting the 8. I really liked Tony and he was a great guy to gamble with and broke the balls as hard as anyone I had ever seen. I heard he really started playing his best in the mid 90's.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew David beat Keith bad but 24 ahead is a pretty big lead!! Much more convincing than that one 10 ahead session Keith won. David was always known as a thoroughbred and I think Keith as quarter miler. In the long run David is going to beat guys like Keith. David put too much pressure on people. Good breaking, kicking, jumping,shooting. David had/has it all. Keith is explosive but if u lock them in a room for 3 days I would empty out on David

You know, at first I thought you were a testicle dangler, but I can see now that David Matlock, et al., must be jealous of Keith. I know David had asked you personally a few years ago to not post on this forum about this subject matter, but you continue on your rampage. What a shame for David, but maybe David needs this for his ego? I'm not sure. Makes him look bad, truth be told. The David Matlock I met wasn't at all the way you act on this forum. He was a humble man, not a braggart.

The gaffe table had a buzzer, and Keith barbecued David before and after your one-trick pony in Dallas.

Keith doesn't feel any animosity or competition with David at all. Keith knows who he is, and if it makes you feel good to believe David is better than Keith, it doesn't mean it's the truth and it doesnt' mean David is. It's your opinion. David is so fortunate to have you hanging.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tracy Joe was a monster barbox player. He had been on the road and slayed many top players before he met Keith. In his travels Joe had clobbered guys Larry Hubbert and Mike Sigel - all on a barbox. His strategy was to keep his opponents away from the table, and he had the skills to do just that.

When Joe moved to Southern California he had his way with all the players in the area, including Keith. Over several meetings, he had Keith and his backers stuck $25k. But Keith was still a rising star. In one epic matchup, Keith steamrolled over Joe so strong, Joe disappeared from the pool scene for 8 years. I'm sure at the time, he had other priorities aanyway. Joe DID make his way back to the game and was a force to be reckoned with, but not as he had been long before.

I knew both of these guys and think the world of them. They both can look back on incredible memories of doing battle on the pool table. I'm glad they don't give a hoot about what people think of their talents. They've proven themselves many times over to be among the best to pick up a cue. The entertainment these guys provided will be etched in my mind indefinitely.

Thanks for the great contribution to the thread. I feel the same way as you, and I know Keith and Joe respect each other 100 percent. Keith will be the first one to mention his admiration of Joe, and vice versa. That's what "real" professionals in the pool world do. That's how they act. There's a mutual respect. It's nice to read in this thread. Thanks again for acknowledging Tracy Joe. :)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sour grapes much?

I'm not the one sour. I have the utmost respect for David Matlock. I'm tired of his minions coming on this forum every year putting Keith down.

The only time you post on any thread I am on is to troll. Do you ever post anything pool-related, or is your favorite pastime trolling the forum?

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only time you post on any thread I am on is to troll. Do you ever post anything pool-related, or is your favorite pastime trolling the forum?

Don't think so much of yourself - and my post history is there for you to see for yourself. Disagreeing with you does not equal trolling.

The buzzer story sounds very contentious to me, hence the sour grapes comment.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Woah y'all, just relax and enjoy these rare videos of Keith and others at their top of their game, and appreciate the fact that JAM has been generous enough to take countless hours of her own time to convert and share them with all of us.
Thank you!

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't think so much of yourself - and my post history is there for you to see for yourself. Disagreeing with you does not equal trolling.

The buzzer story sounds very contentious to me, hence the sour grapes comment.

It's not disagreeing with me; rather, it's you contributing flippant and sarcastic posts to others. If it walks like a troll, smells like a troll, posts like a troll . . .

Who cares what you think? You're a "SakuJack." Gee, that holds a lot of merit in the pool world. :D

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Woah y'all, just relax and enjoy these rare videos of Keith and others at their top of their game, and appreciate the fact that JAM has been generous enough to take countless hours of her own time to convert and share them with all of us.
Thank you!

Thank you for the very kind words. It sures does help to erase the negativity of the trolls who attempt to target others at every turn.

I do enjoy these vintage videos of pool. Now that I have learned how to upload them to YouTube, I'm going to be having some fun. :smile:

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who cares what you think?

Clearly you do, hence your testy responses in this thread and others. If I'm flippant with you it's because your attitude merits it; you seem to expect nothing but agreement and praise on here (and again, flippancy in itself does not equal trolling).

I don't judge people based on their forum name or "merit in the pool world" (whatever that is) but on the quality of their posts. That seems to be where we differ.

Thanks for the video uploads, I enjoyed watching them. But on the mythical buzzer story, I'm still calling sour grapes.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clearly you do, hence your testy responses in this thread and others. If I'm flippant with you it's because your attitude merits it; you seem to expect nothing but agreement and praise on here (and again, flippancy in itself does not equal trolling).

I don't judge people based on their forum name or "merit in the pool world" (whatever that is) but on the quality of their posts. That seems to be where we differ.

Thanks for the video uploads, I enjoyed watching them. But on the mythical buzzer story, I'm still calling sour grapes.

Keith McCready said:
The time that I did play David in Texas was in Dallas. I was getting staked by Weldon Rogers and Will Willingham. We didn't pick the location. It was in a guy's house with a buzzer. Every time David broke the balls, 3 and 4 balls would fly in, and every time I broke them, I wouldn't make a ball. There was something funny going on. Come to find out later, Sonny Spring, the guy's house that we played at, told me all about the buzzer. I played him after that, was chomping at the bit to play on neutral equipment, and I finally got my chance and I dusted him off. And then we played one more time after that, and that was at The Maverick Club.

You should really read entire threads before you spew your so-called "words of wisdom."

Your "mythical buzzer story" came from Keith McCready. He was there and experienced the gaffe table with the buzzer. He not only experienced it, but the person who owned the house where the game was played told Keith later that this gaffe table with the buzzer was shipped to his house.

The amount, 26 dimes, was the total winnings with the side action involved. One thing about Keith, when it comes to numbesr and money, he doesn't make mistakes on this. He's always dead on with money amounts.

Pool players make up excuses for losing all the time, but in this case, the person who owned this venue admitted to Keith that the table had a buzzer.

If you want to call it sour grapes, that's fine, but you weren't there and Keith was.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should really read entire threads before you spew your so-called "words of wisdom."

Your "mythical buzzer story" came from Keith McCready. He was there and experienced the gaffe table with the buzzer. He not only experienced it, but the person who owned the house where the game was played told Keith later that this gaffe table with the buzzer was shipped in to his house.

Pool players make up excuses for losing all the time, but in this case, the person where this venue was admitted to Keith that the table had a buzzer.

If you want to call it sour grapes, that's fine, but you weren't there and Keith was.

I read the whole thread and I think he's making excuses.

It's true that I wasn't there and Keith was, clearly. But it's also true that I have no vested interest in this, no reason to make excuses for losing or otherwise; Keith does.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read the whole thread and I think he's making excuses.

It's true that I wasn't there and Keith was, clearly. But it's also true that I have no vested interest in this, no reason to make excuses for losing or otherwise; Keith does.

The irony is that Keith couldn't care less about losing, but what he does care about is this Clint character coming on AzBilliards forum and demeaning him as well as disseminating untruths.

Now the only one making excuses, though, is you for your lack of insight into what really happened. Again, you weren't there; Keith was.

There's another party who was present, and that's Sonny Springer, the guy who owned the house where the gaffe table was. He's still alive and living in Vegas.

It's not worth me or Keith tracking this guy down to ensure the veracity of Keith's words for people like you. Again, you're trolling on this thread, but have at it. While government is on shutdown, I have all the time in the world to reply to trolls like you. You won't win the battle of words with me, though. I can give you the 3-and-out in this arena. :cool:

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
I knew a Tommy Sanders who was a top player that played at Guys and Dolls in Shreveport, but didn't know a Jimmy Sanders.. It does look like Kennedy to me also.

Tommy Sanders played out of Texas, Jimmy Sanders played out of the Guy's N Dolls in Shreveport, Ask Buddy Hall

David