Matlock vs Keith

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I remember right, Joe could not only name every song that came on the radio, he could tell you how long the song was to the second. If anyone has a contact number for Joe I would really like to chat with him a bit, its been over 20 years.

We haven't seen him since Glass City Open. Keith said he's a real straight shooter and crazy funny. :D

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Jenny!

Anyone know how one would work to do that?

Would it maybe be a case of slowing down the magnetic cue ball or something? But if they used the big rock then there would not be any metal in the ball.

Keith said when the buzzer is depressed at the EXACT time the person was breaking the balls, with the table vibrating at the time the cueball impacts the rack of balls, it would make the balls spread out and fly in the pockets. :D

iPad

It played for me just now. I wonder why it won't play for you. These computers with their virus protections and firewalls can really make our Internet viewing experience difficult sometimes. :embarrassed2:

Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awd2SObe2m0&feature=youtu.be

Or you can go on YouTube and search for "Dave Matlock," and it may come up.

I'm using an iPad and YouTube is always very reliable for me on that. Just tried,it again and it came right on. Paused it to say thank you.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the great photo that Hemicudas sent to me. It has the names of all the players. :smile:

That picture sure brings back a lot of memories. Although I never went to the event in Mississippi, pretty much everyone in that picture showed up for all the tour events in Atlanta.

DeHouser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First time I met Joe Lawrence was at the Glass City Open in, I think, 2004. He was there with the Canadian contingency of pool players, all strong players. Joe was feeling no pain, shall I say. :p

In this photo, he's wearing Keith's Orioles shirt. I can't remember why he wanted to borrow a shirt.

We all went to the horse track on the off hours. I hit an extacta my first bet for about six C-notes. Everybody else lost. I had to avoid multiple bites all the way back to the hotel. :D

Me and Joe Lawrence depicted below. :smile:

Thanks for the pic.

I used to see Jumpin' Joe at tournaments in Canada years ago. Back in the mid-90s, the poolhall I worked in put on a 9-ball tourney with a healthy payout. Joe made the trip, and entertained everyone with his banter and 'animated' breaking style. A few days later, a couple of our local patrons, casual bangers, were seen imitating Joe's break-and-jump. They thought he was some kind of awesome. Last I heard, he was living up in Barrie, but I haven't laid eyes on him in years.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jam, that sure was a great photo, a few names are wrong though, like the guy standing besides Danny Cook on the top row is Floyd Trice from Little Rock, and the guy listed as Tommy Kennedy on the bottom row is Jimmy Sanders from Shreveport, all other names seem to be right.

I remember that day of the photo, it was just before the players auction and we were waiting on Brian Atchley to get there from his room, but went ahead and took the photo without him.

David Harcrow

David, that sure looks like Tommy K. to me??

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
How interesting! You know, the guy in the back row, Wayne Collins, used to hail from my neck of the woods. He was strong player of all games. :)

Actually, Steve Gumphry was from my area too. He went out Midwest, fell in love, and we never heard from him again.

His brother passed away from the same cancer as Steve years later. :(

A melanoma got Steve. He could have been saved if he had seen a doctor in time. Loved that guy, one of the funniest and happiest guys ever in the pool world. ALWAYS had a huge smile for everyone!

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jam -

Watched the video of Keith playing David.

Keith looks a little younger than David. Does Keith know if David is older or about the same age.

Ken

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Keith said when the buzzer is depressed at the EXACT time the person was breaking the balls, with the table vibrating at the time the cueball impacts the rack of balls, it would make the balls spread out and fly in the pockets. :D

Interesting. I figured it what some sort of vibrating device under the table in the rack area but assumed it worked the opposite way - hit the buzzer just as Keith was breaking and it would separate the balls just enough to create a slug.

Last edited:

Rusty C

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I woke up today, and the first thing I read was David Matlock versus Keith McCready. Whoever that guy is continuing to drag my name in posts with David must be a pretty good friend of David's, but he doesn't know all the facts or have all the facts.

Just for your information, first of all, I have all the respect for David. I would never say anything to hurt his feelings or rag on his game -- in other words, take it in the mud.

For you to say I couldn't beat David and never did beat David is absurd. The last time me and David played, it was a 10-ahead set in Richmond, Kentucky, at The Maverick Club. We played a 10-ahead set. It lasted about 50 minutes to an hour, me winning.

Second of all, David's 4-1/2-by-9 play was not nearly as strong as his bar table play. For you to say that I couldn't beat him playing 9-ball on a big table or 10-ball or one-pocket, I just wish that you would have been there when I had some real money and was playing all the time. I would have put you back on your back porch, right where you belong, reading a book.

The time that I did play David in Texas was in Dallas. I was getting staked by Weldon Rogers and Will Willingham. We didn't pick the location. It was in a guy's house with a buzzer. Every time David broke the balls, 3 and 4 balls would fly in, and every time I broke them, I wouldn't make a ball. There was something funny going on. Come to find out later, Sonny Spring, the guy's house that we played at, told me all about the buzzer. I played him after that, was chomping at the bit to play on neutral equipment, and I finally got my chance and I dusted him off. And then we played one more time after that, and that was at The Maverick Club.

There's nothing wrong with being friends with somebody, and I get it. I guess just like the way Bobby is with me, but Bobby knows what time of day it is. He witnessed a lot of my beatings on a lot of people. They shipped bar table players in from all over, and I shipped them, out one by one, busted and broke. I was giving everybody back then the 7-ball and the 8-ball. With the big cueball, they wouldn't play me. They had to go to the little cueball on the bar tables to even have a chance.

Back in the '70s, there was a Mexican by the name of Canella, who everybody said was the best bar table player in Mexico. I never really got to see how good he was because he never shot. I beat him two sets so fast, 10-aheads, that it would make you swim. He didn't ask me for weight because he didn't want to lose getting weight. Pride, I guess.

I was playing Morro Paez, giving him the 7 on a 4-by-8 with a big cueball, Ernesto Dominguez the 7-ball. This was all on a bar table with a big cueball, and they had to switch the big cueball to the little cueball. There used to be a bar called Nutty Nero's. That's where everybody would come after hours and play for days. They all checked up short. Kim Davenport, I was giving him the 7-ball on a big table. I would win some, lose some. We had some pretty good battles ourselves. None of these players would ever play me even.

I sort of wish that we could go back in time, but we can't. I'm 57 now, just about, not in combat like I used to be. But if you think in your right mind that I was afraid of David playing on any table, you're crazy. I've seen this Clint guy rambling on, on this website, trying to belittle me or put me down, and I don't know why.

I won't post any more about this. I consider David my friend, not my enemy. I hope David is doing well, and I know he is.

Just as an FYI, the three toughest players I ever played on a bar table were Boston Joey and Vernon Elliott and David Matlock -- in that order. ;)

I just talked to David, and he wants to clear things up about this gaff table with the buzzer.There was nothing phony about the table,you just don't want to admit you got beat on the square. The match was 8 ahead for 2000 guaranteeing 3 sets,David won the first set,Keith won the second,then David won 3 in a row, winning a total of 6000.He went on to say that the match lasted 5 hours,and that he's in Olathe if you want to play some.

Oh snap!!!!

I just talked to David, and he wants to clear things up about this gaff table with the buzzer.There was nothing phony about the table,you just don't want to admit you got beat on the square. The match was 8 ahead for 2000 guaranteeing 3 sets,David won the first set,Keith won the second,then David won 3 in a row, winning a total of 6000.He went on to say that the match lasted 5 hours,and that he's in Olathe if you want to play some.

Oh snap!!! What, did I stutter? 2 seconds ago it was like an evening in the Apollo in here. Now, its quiet as a mouse.

Sounds like a challenge.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
.that was called "outrunning the nutz"

Jay, I regard you as the most knowledgeable pool historian alive, but trust me when I tell you Johnny was already dominating in 89 and 90 with Buddy Hall, Jimmy Reid and many top players playing on the Baxter tour. I have several issue's of The Snap Magazine to prove it. By 1989 everyone knew who Johnny was. He's also a very underrated barbox player. Funny how no one ever mentions Johnny when it comes to barbox playing when he has won more barbox tournaments than I could keep up with. Ask the top barbox players what they would have give Johnny in the 90's on a barbox. I know you know the answer.

Johnny and I played several sets on the Bar Table in the late 80s....I beat him two sets in Ft. Wayne Indiana (then we played the next day in Indianapolis on the Big Track) - he beat me a set in Alabama, the bar closed so we just had time for one race. In Ft. Wayne I beat Johnny two sets then gave Tony Ellin the Wild 8 and won another two sets.....that was called "outrunning the nutz". ;) It happens sometimes.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jam -

Watched the video of Keith playing David.

Keith looks a little younger than David. Does Keith know if David is older or about the same age.

Ken

According to their AzB player profiles, David Matlock was born Mar. 11, 1954 and Keith was born April 9, 1957. So David, at about 59 1/2, is 3 years older.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dave has Keith's phone number. Tell him to call Keith. I am sure when Keith wakes up, he will read this post.

It's funny how Clint and Rusty want to speak about a Dallas match on a gaffe table with a buzzer at Sonny Springer's house and a Magnolia Classic tournament as evidence that David is a better player than Keith. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

Did you ask David how Keith beat him the 10-ahead set for 10 dimes in 50 minutes at The Maverick Club? Did you ask David how Larry Hubbart barbecued him one week after Keith barbecued Larry Hubbart, spotting Larry Hubbart the last two?

I don't understand why Clint and Rusty give a damn who's the best player between Keith and David, so much so that they continue year after year to write posts on this forum about it ad nauseum. The funny thing about it is that Keith doesn't give a hill of beans what anybody thinks because he has enough self-esteem to realize it's two nobodies trying to be sombody on a pool forum, wanting to create angst.

As far as Keith's prime for whoever it was that asked, Keith's prime was between 1976 and 1985, according to Keith. :smile:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as Keith's prime for whoever it was that asked, Keith's prime was between 1976 and 1985, according to Keith. :smile:

Tracy Joe acted like Keith was much younger when he was playing him.

I got the impression that Keith was 15/16. And Tracy was in his 20's.

Would that be right in ages?

I know that you are saying when Keith was on top, but he was beating alot of folks alot earlier, or at least that was how I heard it.

Ken

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tracy Joe acted like Keith was much younger when he was playing him.

I got the impression that Keith was 15/16. And Tracy was in his 20's.

Would that be right in ages?

I know that you are saying when Keith was on top, but he was beating alot of folks alot earlier, or at least that was how I heard it.

Ken

Keith played strong as a teenager, but he believes he was in his prime beginning in late teens to mid 20s.

Joe Salazar has always been kind to Keith when we'd run into him on the road. Today, of course, he deals in collector and good shooting cuesticks. Like Keith, he's got self-esteem and knows who he is. Nobody can take away his fond memories of when he was soaring at heights beyond our gaze. Tracy Joe was a monster on the bar box when he was hitting 'em, as was Keith.

Everybody has their streak, some longer than others. Tracy's streak was before Keith's, so when Keith tangled with him, I'm not sure which one was in their prime, if any. As we all know, in pool anything can happen with two strong players. Sometimes it doesn't matter how strong you play, and the luck factor may play a key role. Back then, Keith was running packages. You can't give a good fight on a field of green if you're benched while the other guy is running out, running out, running out. :p