Maximum Throw at Different Speeds and Angles Video

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
10m/s (22 MPH) is one second of vertical acceleration, so the height would be 5 meters, or a little over 16 feet. Any billiard room with a 20-foot ceiling should do nicely. :smile:
But that's for a free falling ball, right? I suppose you could use the small ramp and drop the ball onto it from ceiling height...

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
But that's for a free falling ball, right? I suppose you could use the small ramp and drop the ball onto it from ceiling height...

pj
chgo
Use a heavy steel/iron block -- 20 pounds is enough -- with a 45-degree bevel and drop the ball onto the bevel. What could go worng?

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... an example of cut-induced throw ?
Also in your opinion is this the reason why Tyler missed a similar shot [https://youtu.be/USkxs4qjZQA?t=1254. ...
(I corrected the link. It had one too many ]s)

If you use single-frame stepping on YouTube (> key) it looks like he hit ball first as the cue ball is well into the cushion after the nine starts moving. Evidently he did not have gearing or more side spin and the OB was thrown into the cushion. It does not look like he had beyond gearing side spin judging from the path of the cue ball after it leaves the cushion.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...is [throw] the reason why Tyler missed a similar shot [https://youtu.be/USkxs4qjZQA?t=1254].

...it looks like he hit ball first as the cue ball is well into the cushion after the nine starts moving. Evidently he did not have gearing or more side spin and the OB was thrown into the cushion. It does not look like he had beyond gearing side spin judging from the path of the cue ball after it leaves the cushion.
[nitpick]
Yes, of course there's throw, but IMO that's not why he missed the shot. He's hit enough of these to know (if only instinctively) how to aim them including throw. He missed because he aimed/hit it badly.
[/nitpick]

pj
chgo

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
@ Dr. Dave,
Is this shot (number 4) in your video [https://youtu.be/HqAb4mWEkps?t=321]. an example of cut-induced throw ?
Also in your opinion is this the reason why Tyler missed a similar shot [https://youtu.be/USkxs4qjZQA?t=1254].

thanks ..
As Bob and Pat pointed out, he didn't miss this shot due to not compensating for throw. He just aimed bad and hit the ball much too full (and/or he didn't have near enough outside spin to compensate for the fullness of the hit).

Regards,
Dave

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
As Bob and Pat pointed out, he didn't miss this shot due to not compensating for throw. He just aimed bad and hit the ball much too full (and/or he didn't have near enough outside spin to compensate for the fullness of the hit).

Regards,
Dave

Just think how this effects "Ghost Ball Aiming"???

most people aim ghost ball to the center pocket and with any cut angle at all it malfunctions!!! The Ghost Ball Aiming system is inaccurate unless you compensate!!! That is why some aim to the point of the pocket instead of the center of the pocket...

KD

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Regards,
Dave

Just think how this effects "Ghost Ball Aiming"???

most people aim ghost ball to the center pocket and with any cut angle at all it malfunctions!!! The Ghost Ball Aiming system is inaccurate unless you compensate!!! That is why some aim to the point of the pocket instead of the center of the pocket...

KD
I think experienced ghost ball aimers unconsciously compensate for throw even if they think they're aiming for GB-center-of-pocket. In fact, I think we all do something similar no matter how we aim. One system, for instance, claims to have a slight overcut "built in" for throw - of course it's actually "built in" unconsciously by the player after making enough of the shots.

pj
chgo

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[nitpick]
Yes, of course there's throw, but IMO that's not why he missed the shot. He's hit enough of these to know (if only instinctively) how to aim them including throw. He missed because he aimed/hit it badly.
[/nitpick]
I'm with Bob on this one. He didn't put enough outside to obtain gearing english and thus throw was maximized.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm with Bob on this one. He didn't put enough outside to obtain gearing english and thus throw was maximized.
If he obtained "gearing outside english," there would be no throw whatsoever! With a full aim like he had, he needed much more than a gearing amount of outside spin to create enough spin-induced throw to straighten the OB.

For more info on these topics (for those interested), see:

gearing outside english

Regards,
Dave

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
[nitpick]
[/nitpick]

pj
chgo

Of course I agree there's throw, but is it the difference between the 99 times out of a hundred he makes this shot and the one he doesn't? Like I said, nitpicky. :)

pj
chgo

bstroud

Deceased
Bill, when you talk about throw, do you mean the normal throw that we get on most shots or the unusual amount we get with occasional "skids"? Which are you comparing with clay vs. Centennial balls?

pj
chgo

Patrick,

What you call "normal throw" simply didn't exist on the Brunsco cloth with Centennials. It was never discussed.

A "skid" was so uncommon that it sparked endless discussion.

I still think it is the cloth. Simmonis is a Billiard cloth not a pool cloth.

Another thing that is missing Today is the ability to shoot a normal Straight Pool break shot with High English and Force Follow the cue ball through the entire rack. Today you need to draw the cue ball away from the stack or it will just stop. Whats' with that?

Bill S.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he obtained "gearing outside english," there would be no throw whatsoever!
I agree. Just to clarify my earlier post, I meant he didn't put enough outside to achieve gearing english, and thus he got a lot of throw.

With a full aim like he had, he needed much more than a gearing amount of outside spin to create enough spin-induced throw to straighten the OB.
Your assumption is that he aimed fuller than the ideal ghost ball location. I don't think this is obvious from the video. And I don't think it's usual that players would throw in such cut shots, especially given the required position for the next shot.

IMO a more likely possibility is that he aimed right at the ghost ball location and attempted to hit enough outside to achieve perfect gearing english (which like you said would eliminate throw). My guess he aimed for the ghost ball location and simply fell short of applying enough spin for gearing english, and thus there was a substantial amount of throw that occurred.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
If he obtained "gearing outside english," there would be no throw whatsoever! With a full aim like he had, he needed much more than a gearing amount of outside spin to create enough spin-induced throw to straighten the OB.

For more info on these topics (for those interested), see:

gearing outside english
Your assumption is that he aimed fuller than the ideal ghost ball location. I don't think this is obvious from the video. And I don't think it's usual that players would throw in such cut shots, especially given the required position for the next shot.

IMO a more likely possibility is that he aimed right at the ghost ball location and attempted to hit enough outside to achieve perfect gearing english (which like you said would eliminate throw). My guess he aimed for the ghost ball location and simply fell short of applying enough spin for gearing english, and thus there was a substantial amount of throw that occurred.
Both scenarios are possible, but my judgement from a video frame-by-frame analysis is: He just aimed and hit it too full. And you are right that since he probably had less than "gearing outside spin," the ball got thrown a little (but not much, since he did have some outside spin), which made the OB go into the rail even more.

For convenience, here's the video of the shot in question.

Regards,
Dave