Measles cueball vs Red Circle cueball weight differences

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The measle ball is harder to draw than the red circle. John B. I know you used the red circle for years and I think you will agree its what your use to. I played with the measel ball for the first time a couple of months ago and there is a big difference and will take some getting use to.

Any difference in playability between the measles and red circle ball could easily be due to the different resin used to make each. The measles ball is made with the higher end Super Pro resin, same as the ball set with that name.

thommy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This debate interests me because I just spent some time with Dennis Orculo (SP?) on Saturday thanx to Jay and Tony:grin:
While talking with Dennis during a break about my piss poor draw stroke, he alluded to the fact that he likes the measle ball better than the red dot ball because it works/moves better.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
This debate interests me because I just spent some time with Dennis Orculo (SP?) on Saturday thanx to Jay and Tony:grin:
While talking with Dennis during a break about my piss poor draw stroke, he alluded to the fact that he likes the measle ball better than the red dot ball because it works/moves better.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

The measles ball is a better quality cue ball than the red circle, which is essentially Aramith's generic replacement cue ball made with a lower quality resin and does not come with any Aramith ball sets that I'm aware of. The measles ball comes with the Super Pro TV set and is made with the same Super Pro resin.

thommy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, you are saying that the squiggly S cue ball is a different resin than the red dot cu ball and the measles ball?

Then the measles ball and the squiggly s ball are the same resin?

So I can save my $30 and not buy the measles ball??

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
So, you are saying that the squiggly S cue ball is a different resin than the red dot cu ball and the measles ball?

Then the measles ball and the squiggly s ball are the same resin?

So I can save my $30 and not buy the measles ball??

According to Aramith, the red logo ball (Super Aramith Pro cue ball or squiggly S ball as you put it) that comes with the Super Pro set and the measles ball (Super Aramith Pro Cup cue ball) that comes with the Super Pro TV set are both made with the same Super Pro resin. This makes sense since the Super Pro sets (both the TV and traditional) are matched sets.

Yes, you can save some money because the red logo ball is typically sold for less, but not $30 less. More like $12 - $15 less. Not sure why except perhaps people are willing to pay more for the ball they see on TV.

The red circle ball is made with the Aramith Super resin, which is down the scale from the Super Pro resin.

The red dot CB (as opposed to the red circle) is made with the Aramith Premier resin, also a lower price point.

I myself have at times felt there was a difference in how the red logo and measles balls played but this could be just due to differences in how their graphics make them look like they are reacting.

Also, any comparisons must take into account whether the CBs in question are matched to the set. Say you have a brand new Super Aramith Pro set with the original red logo ball from that set. That ball should be very close in weight to the other balls in that set because the set is matched. If you bring in a measles ball that you bought solo, it may play different simply because it might be lighter or heavier than the rest of the balls in the set.

The only sets I know for sure that are matched are the Aramith Tournaments, Super Pros, and Centennials (with the blue circle CB, made by Aramith for Brunswick and the same as the Super Pros except for the graphics).

Last edited:

LuckedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny, I just weighed the Brunswick blue dot, Aramith red logo and Aramith measle ball and all weighed 168 grams

I've got the same weights coming off my scale also.

I have a ramp and found that the measles ball travels further than the other cue balls stated.

Could it be that there is a more dense layer of resin towards the outer shell of the ball giving it this characteristic?

Multilayered ball?

Yes, a multilayered ball. I believe this is the case. How else would it travel further with the same weight? There must be more mass towards the outside shell of the ball than others.

The golf ball has been manipulated for a couple decades now to help control spin for those who put too much/too little on it. Why not the cue ball in pool?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Yes, a multilayered ball. I believe this is the case. How else would it travel further with the same weight? ...
One way, which may or may not apply to the way you did your testing, is that if you test with a ramp, the ball path gets compressed over several trials and gets faster. You might get a diamond more roll on a lag-speed shot.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One way, which may or may not apply to the way you did your testing, is that if you test with a ramp, the ball path gets compressed over several trials and gets faster. You might get a diamond more roll on a lag-speed shot.

you really know alot of stuff..:wink:

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
I would like to know the weight differences either way in both balls if someone has 2 new ones.

I know I'm a little late to the discussion, but I have weighed the aramith measle ball, the aramith red circle, and the centennial blue circle, all purchased new, and weighed new. All 3 were only 1 or 2 grams different in weight. 2 grams is about .07 oz.

This surprised me a lot. I had always been in the school of thought there was a difference, and I ended up proving myself wrong.

It would seem, that wear on the balls would be the biggest difference on how they acted at the pool hall.
Another factor would be our own bias. If we want the x ball to be hard to draw, we can make it hard to draw.

Since I had done my little experiment, I've quit worrying about what cue ball I'm using, because, to me, it no longer really makes any difference. You'd be amazed at how much that alone has improved my game.

Peace and good shooting to all....

Last edited:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I still haven't had the chance to grab a scale, but I'm finding the opposite to people here and closer to what both Hatch and Orcollo have said; the measel ball is easier to move around the table (and lighter).

I don't pay much attention to the standard cueballs so I'm not sure if they are Red Dots or Red Circles. It is whatever came with the sets the owner bought. He purchased the measel balls in addition as far as I know.

I'll have to get some pics and weights.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I know I'm a little late to the discussion, but I have weighed the aramith measle ball, the aramith red circle, and the centennial blue circle, all purchased new, and weighed new. All 3 were only 1 or 2 grams different in weight. 2 grams is about .07 oz.

This surprised me a lot. I had always been in the school of thought there was a difference, and I ended up proving myself wrong.

It would seem, that wear on the balls would be the biggest difference on how they acted at the pool hall.
Another factor would be our own bias. If we want the x ball to be hard to draw, we can make it hard to draw.

Since I had done my little experiment, I've quit worrying about what cue ball I'm using, because, to me, it no longer really makes any difference. You'd be amazed at how much that alone has improved my game.

Peace and good shooting to all....
This is a very good post (especially the highlighted part) showing a rational mind open to change.

pj
chgo

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think Aramith's intent is to make cue balls that are the same weight as the object balls. If there is a difference between new balls, I'm sure it is much smaller than the weight differences you see among worn balls. An article about the differences between small and large cue balls, including how draw and follow will be affected is at: http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2005-12.pdf

Unless you replace your cue ball frequently and keep the table very clean, the cue ball will not remain in spec. I have ball gauges (round holes in steel) that can check according to the BCA/WPA requirement of +-0.005 inches, and pretty much no pool balls in pool halls are legal. That's one reason it's hard to get a tight rack. It's common to see balls that are small by 1-2 mm.
Good post. For those interested, a good video and more info on this topic can be found here:

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The differences among the object balls are astounding.
I did a test at a local pool hall with a large selection of balls from different tables. Here are the results from my February '12 BD article:
To see how much ball weight can vary in typical conditions, I took an accurate digital scale to my local pool hall (“Match Ups” in Fort Collins, Colorado). I weighed the CB and randomly selected OBs (and the 1-ball specifically) in each of eight Valley bar boxes with the assistance and permission of the owners. (Thanks Mike and Nicole!) The CB weights were fairly consistent with an average of 5.89 oz, a minimum of 5.78 oz, and a maximum of 5.93 oz. The OB weights were lighter (2-3 percent on average) and less consistent with an average of 5.75 oz, a minimum of 5.47 oz and a maximum of 5.89 oz. The lightest OB was a 1-ball, which makes sense based on the extra abuse it takes (but this could also just be coincidence). If the heaviest CB were paired up with the lightest OB, the percentage difference would be about 8%. Luckily, this is still much less than the 25% difference demonstrated with the pool and carom balls in HSV B.49. However, the weight-difference effects in this article would definitely be noticeable with this particular CB-OB combination, especially to a good and observant player.​

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave analyzed the Measle ball about a year or so ago on Billiards Digest forum. As I recall the phenolic was a different compostion than the Red Dot or Blue Dot balls and deflected off the object balls differently. I know that I definitely prefer the Blue Dot ball or even the Red Dot over the Measle ball. You people that are scientifically inclined may want to search the aforementioned Forum.
I think you might be referring to the excellent post on this topic from sfleinen that is quoted on my cue ball types resource page.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can you describe what "elasticity" is, how it makes balls bouncier and what that means generally for ball/ball interactions?
Check out the articles and technical proofs here:

Ball elasticity is quantified by the "coefficient of restitution." The technical details are covered in the TP doc. The articles show the effects on actual play ... in particular how inelasticity affects the 90 and 30 degree rules.

Regards,
Dave

wontonny

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check out the articles and technical proofs here:

Ball elasticity is quantified by the "coefficient of restitution." The technical details are covered in the TP doc. The articles show the effects on actual play ... in particular how inelasticity affects the 90 and 30 degree rules.

Regards,
Dave

People seem to be neglecting the concept of Moment of Inertia. I learned this in one of my physics courses, and I'm certain it can be applied to these balls. People are arguing either of the balls has a core density vs a outer shell density (solid sphere vs hollow sphere). I was just wondering what your thoughts are on this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia#cite_note-serway-0

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
People seem to be neglecting the concept of Moment of Inertia. I learned this in one of my physics courses, and I'm certain it can be applied to these balls. People are arguing either of the balls has a core density vs a outer shell density (solid sphere vs hollow sphere). I was just wondering what your thoughts are on this?
I don't know how much moment of inertia varies for equal weight and size pool balls (if at all), but that is an interesting question. The differences wouldn't have an effect on the elasticity discussions, but it certainly would affect how cue ball spin is imparted and how it changes during a shot. The resulting path of a cue ball after colliding with an OB would also be different, except for a stun shot down the tangent line. However, I would think that the differences in moments of inertia (for equal size and weight balls) would be insignificant.

Regards,
Dave

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia#cite_note-serway-0

It is more or less trivial to test (or at least to compare) moment of inertia with pool balls. Just set up a long half-ball scratch shot and then test ball A against ball B and B against A. The ball that goes through straighter has mass more towards the outside. Of course you have to make sure that the balls have equal total mass.

I don't think there is any significant variation in density of the ball material versus radius. It's possible, but it would be hard to engineer. The ball would have to have a light core and a heavy shell (or the reverse if you want spin to have less effect) so you need two quite different materials. The core would have to be centered precisely.

On the other hand, in the 1970s I saw a "blue circle" cue ball that had broken open. It had a core that looked dull and chalky about the size of a golf ball. The core was not centered. At the time "blue circle" was everyone's favorite cue ball. I had bought one myself. It was lopsided.

TrumanHW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is your deal? You resurrect a FIVE YEAR OLD thread, just to argue with well known posters...including one the most knowledgable people about the physics of pool on this site. Go troll somewhere else please. Geez...are you PocketPoint again?

Scott Lee

There's nothing to get hostile about. And sometimes things go 100+ years before the matter is resurrected and challenged. This is why we have NEWTONIAN gravity, and Einsteinium. And even "newtonian" is just homage to Newton... because Einstein covers that too. But yeah, sometimes we come back to things to either educate the questioners or to improve on knowledgeable beliefs.

In short scott, I'm okay with discovering I'm wrong - But i'll discover this through an articulation supporting his claim. Not just your clinging to his authority... Your religious zeal has no bearing in a discussion covering the physics of a matter. The truth will defend itself well enough.

Reactions: JDB