Mike Dechaine giving pool one more shot

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it almost seems like Earl knows he will eventually lose in tournaments with talented players, so he would rather have excuses than try to improve- like the break, jump cues, side pockets, players taking too long, the crowd distracting him, etc.

been like that for 20 years. if earl would have had a mental coach back then he could have won another WC or USO.

i remember the side pockets thing and the challenge match with darren etc. that was another stupid hang up. but in this US open earl played so good side pocket shots that phil yates was almost speechless. he's 60+ and can still do a sub-minute runout on a tight diamond.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Well, he's somehow managed to shrink his head, so there is that (almost didn't recognize him).

No, seriously, his demeanor seemed way more positive and I hope that he can do well. If he's really matured, I have no problem rooting him on.

Jaden
Man in the mirror, and upbringing are now ''at hand''.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The internet is and has been way too hard on Mike, imo. He said some pool room counter talk that got spread due to him being a top pro. We’ve probably all done and said similar at the pool room. It’s no big deal.

I was a fan when he first came on the scene, throughout the years, and still today. I even bet on him when he played Hatch in an early TAR match.

Good luck Mike!

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, Ralph IS an all-time great player. Mike is not in the same class. When Mike quit 7 or 8 years ago, in his prime, he was as good as he will ever be. I say that based on my experience following pool players for 50+ years. He wasted his prime years (as far as pool is concerned) and he will not get them back. He will find 9 ball has moved on without him. He could still dominate regional tournaments but I just can`t see him being a factor in international events.
Yup fair statements. Having said that though, it's certainly possible that maturing and learning to better control his emotions could enable him to play his top game more consistently. I agree, he probably won't improve over his old best game, but even his old game was good enough to be competitive against anyone. Personally, I enjoyed watching his play; lots of confidence and a bit edgy.

Flakeandrun

The internet is and has been way too hard on Mike, imo. He said some pool room counter talk that got spread due to him being a top pro. We’ve probably all done and said similar at the pool room. It’s no big deal.

I was a fan when he first came on the scene, throughout the years, and still today. I even bet on him when he played Hatch in an early TAR match.

Good luck Mike!
I'm not exactly a veteran when it comes to watching, but have always been entertained watching matches or content with him in. He's got character, and not the forced, bought and paid for type we see coming out of a lot of the MR players. Shoots bloody well too.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WTF??? Both??? Earl's game is deader than Elvis.
I just watched him running racks at turning stone. His shot making and position play it still great. His break is terrible. You can’t win with a hit it hard and hope break in todays pool world.

as far as mike it’s been 7 years maybe he’s done some growing up in those years. We all change in life as we get older. I’d love to see him make a return

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can’t win with a hit it hard and hope break in today's pool world.
Back in Earl's prime, that's the way everyone broke. Hard as you can with a hop and squatted cueball was always the goal.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in Earl's prime, that's the way everyone broke. Hard as you can with a hop and squatted cueball was always the goal.
Yep.. I agree. That old school way doesn’t play anymore and of course he lost power with his age.