Mike Dechaine

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Dechaine didn't get his bad rap by accident did he? If he wants to play on the Mosconi Cup then let him prove himself and behave like a gentleman and win himself a spot on the team. Sorry he has too much history for anyone to take a chance on him in a once in a year format.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
Mike Dechaine didn't get his bad rap by accident did he? If he wants to play on the Mosconi Cup then let him prove himself and behave like a gentleman and win himself a spot on the team. Sorry he has too much history for anyone to take a chance on him in a once in a year format.

First off, I want to say that I wholeheartedly support Mark Wilson's choices and actions regarding the Mosconi Cup. Whether this results in success or not, I believe, has a lot to do with how you choose to determine success.

However, regarding Mike DeChaine, could you - or anyone else- enlighten me as to how he has misbehaved in the past? Cutting in line notwithstanding - although I agree this would be annoying - can someone point to actual events and actions -especially those that took place in a public forum - that evidence Mike's bad behavior.

thanks,

TCo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maestro

Someone that wants to lead the orchestra needs to turn their back on the crowd.

Lead on Maestro Mark

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know much about MD except what I have read on here. Seems everything is pure speculation on our part. It would be interesting to know what the criteria is for picking the team. Pool fans kinda deserve to know why, when a top player isn't picked. Lets say any standings you look at for the top 10. A players shows up on every list. That players doesnt get picked. Everyone deserves to know why or at least that the player knows why. Granted Mark Wilson may have his reasons. However, his reasoning may not be best for the fans. Sure the USA didn't do well last year. Regardless, if Earl wasn't on the team it may not have had the same viewership. There may be more returning viewers because of Earls antics. I may be wrong but I think viewership comes down to two reasons. You want to what the players you like. You want to watch the players you hate. You don't want to watch players you don't know. In the end. Mosconi cup. You want to watch the BEST players. A good coach/ Captain knows how to make the bad apples play well with the good apples. That's what make them a great coach. Look at any team sport.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know much about MD except what I have read on here. Seems everything is pure speculation on our part. It would be interesting to know what the criteria is for picking the team. Pool fans kinda deserve to know why, when a top player isn't picked. Lets say any standings you look at for the top 10. A players shows up on every list. That players doesnt get picked. Everyone deserves to know why or at least that the player knows why. Granted Mark Wilson may have his reasons. However, his reasoning may not be best for the fans. Sure the USA didn't do well last year. Regardless, if Earl wasn't on the team it may not have had the same viewership. There may be more returning viewers because of Earls antics. I may be wrong but I think viewership comes down to two reasons. You want to what the players you like. You want to watch the players you hate. You don't want to watch players you don't know. In the end. Mosconi cup. You want to watch the BEST players. A good coach/ Captain knows how to make the bad apples play well with the good apples. That's what make them a great coach. Look at any team sport.

After watching Mike play the turning stone classic over the years, I've witnessed how his game has stepped up. From finishing in the money here and there, to consistently finishing on Sundays, and even winning one.

I can tell you from watching him, I witnessed him get in arguments over racks, calling over refs frequently in order to shark opponents, and above all, carrying himself in a sense of entitlement just in the way he interacts with fans. This was just my observation. I've been watching turning stone for a while now, and I never got this from Johnny archer, Rodney Morris, Steve Moore, Corey duel, etc.

Maybe I'm wrong, because I've only ever watched him at turning stone, so I'm not saying I know exactly what's going on. But when I heard Mark Wilson announce the team names and no Mike D., it made sense to me.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my RECENT first hand experience with Mike Dechaine:

I went to Providence in January to run a local tournament with Joe Tucker at Snookers. After the event, Mike Dechaine made the effort to seek me out at dinner and introduce himself. We had a short and polite conversation.

On Friday, April 18, Mike Dechaine showed up to at my place in Erie PA to play in a one day event that was to take place on Saturday. He was sociable, friendly, and cordial to the players, customers, and staff. There were instances during a couple of his matches on Saturday, under normal circumstances, could have erupted into full blown incidents. MD chose to shrug his shoulders and get on with the match. MD was not disruptive or confrontational but to the contrary, was quite accommodating.

I go to great lengths to pull my regular clientele into some level of participation in the events that I host whether it be as score-keepers, chart managers, announcers etc. I had more than 30 volunteers for this event. Their stories about the players are repeated for weeks, months, and years. Where Mike Dechaine is concerned, all the commentary is glowing.

This is last month folks!

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After watching Mike play the turning stone classic over the years, I've witnessed how his game has stepped up. From finishing in the money here and there, to consistently finishing on Sundays, and even winning one.

I can tell you from watching him, I witnessed him get in arguments over racks, calling over refs frequently in order to shark opponents, and above all, carrying himself in a sense of entitlement just in the way he interacts with fans. This was just my observation. I've been watching turning stone for a while now, and I never got this from Johnny archer, Rodney Morris, Steve Moore, Corey duel, etc.

Maybe I'm wrong, because I've only ever watched him at turning stone, so I'm not saying I know exactly what's going on. But when I heard Mark Wilson announce the team names and no Mike D., it made sense to me.

I guess you will have to enlighten us....how is " frequently calling referee" sharking? Why did he call them? What was the situations. How many times? 'm sorry....im just not seeing it. What was the arguments over racks? Maybe someone was loose racking him? I just want details. And, maybe he was asked and he turned down the opportunity? Could have happened. I'm am by no means a MD fan. I just like details.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my RECENT first hand experience with Mike Dechaine:

I went to Providence in January to run a local tournament with Joe Tucker at Snookers. After the event, Mike Dechaine made the effort to seek me out at dinner and introduce himself. We had a short and polite conversation.

On Friday, April 18, Mike Dechaine showed up to at my place in Erie PA to play in a one day event that was to take place on Saturday. He was sociable, friendly, and cordial to the players, customers, and staff. There were instances during a couple of his matches on Saturday, under normal circumstances, could have erupted into full blown incidents. MD chose to shrug his shoulders and get on with the match. MD was not disruptive or confrontational but to the contrary, was quite accommodating.

I go to great lengths to pull my regular clientele into some level of participation in the events that I host whether it be as score-keepers, chart managers, announcers etc. I had more than 30 volunteers for this event. Their stories about the players are repeated for weeks, months, and years. Where Mike Dechaine is concerned, all the commentary is glowing.

This is last month folks!

Yea, after he knew he wasn't picked for Mosconi Cup already, and being smart he has
already started to change his ways, as he would like to be considered in the future.
Looks like what Mark did (or should I say didn't do) is working already. :thumbup:

Let me be the first to congratulate Mike on this change, and look forward to seeing him
on future Mosconi Cup teams. Congrats to you Mike !

Last edited:
First off, I want to say that I wholeheartedly support Mark Wilson's choices and actions regarding the Mosconi Cup. Whether this results in success or not, I believe, has a lot to do with how you choose to determine success.

However, regarding Mike DeChaine, could you - or anyone else- enlighten me as to how he has misbehaved in the past? Cutting in line notwithstanding - although I agree this would be annoying - can someone point to actual events and actions -especially those that took place in a public forum - that evidence Mike's bad behavior.

thanks,

Bottomline there are a bunch of Dechaine haters here.

If you are one of the best in the country and know it maybe it goes to your head. Ever hear of a cocky superstar athelete? The same old crap about Dechaine who I am sure hardly any of the keyboard warriors have met.
The euros are gonna destroy us in MC 2015. Anybody who thinks otherwise please direct your bets my way. Most have already given up any real chance of winning...great sucess.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Dechaine isn't top 10? You sure know a lot. So the 8 Mosconi hopefuls that will be reduced to a team of 5 include: SVB, Oscar Dominguez, Justin Bergman, Jeremy Sossei, Corey Deuel, Brandon Schuff and John Schmidt. Dechaine robs every player on the team except SVB. No offense, but over 100 guys play stronger than the bottom 4 of that 8.

Who are the bottom 4, in your mind, on the list of the 8 players?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess you will have to enlighten us....how is " frequently calling referee" sharking? Why did he call them? What was the situations. How many times? 'm sorry....im just not seeing it. What was the arguments over racks? Maybe someone was loose racking him? I just want details. And, maybe he was asked and he turned down the opportunity? Could have happened. I'm am by no means a MD fan. I just like details.

One of the most memorable ones was during turning stone summer 2007. I wish I could remember names well, but I'm terrible at that. this guy beats jasmine ouchan, and he was a real tough player, very stern poker face, no smiles, all business. and he was going to play mike d next. I wasn't sitting close, but I can tell you after a series of back and forths, over the calling of refs by dechaine, they started shouting at each other, the other guy accusing mike d. Of slowing down waiting for refs when not needed. At turning stone refs are few and far between, so it was a long wait.

It came off as kind of a cheap move, but maybe dechaine had a point. I could be wrong. If I knew who that guy was, maybe he is on here and you could get the real story.

But that's one off the top of my head. I didn't post to mike D bash, but to try to answer the previous posters question.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok...fair enough....but how is something that happened in 2007 even relevant to 2014? When I watched MD in 2012 Mosconi cup, I didn't see any behavior issues. He just choked in important matches. I think his game has improved since then. And even if his behaviour is questionable, a good captain would take appropriate action to curb it. Of course, if you are trying to curb someone like Earl, well, good luck with that.

I think it ends up being "is the player liked or not?" Thats kind of sad. The question should be, "will this player be good enough to help achieve the goal of the team?" Can MD do that. My opinion is yes he can.
His game has improved the last couple of years.

And even if the guy he "got into with" is on here, your not going to get the real story, just one side of it.

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I use to box and fight a lot in my younger days. That was fear in Mike's eyes. That don't make him a goat, he just wasn't ready for that challenge. JT

Mainplayer

Gold Member
Hey guys.

Hey AZ forum,
Marks decision was a good one. Wether or not I'll be able to play under him one day is his choice. I have and will always need to keep myself in check when competing, but it is something I am fully aware of. My goal, for this coming year, to act like a professional and win as much as I can. As far as the potential players, they're great choices. All are very successful in our sport. I am hoping it is right mesh of players that can bring home the cup.
Best,
MD

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I'm beginning to see that I'm in the minority.
So it's meaningful, but to what end? What does it mean?
[snip] it's not a world championship or an Olympic event,
it doesn't even seem to carry bragging rights

The MC does carry big bragging rights!
It implies that the player was at one point top 5 in their country.
Now, we know that due to politics and popularity that isn't always true.
But nobody who gets selected is a fish. It's a real honor.

When MD was talking to Jayson Shaw before their TAR match, there was some friendly
trash talk, and Mike made sure to point out that MD was on the mosconi cup team and he wasn't.

When listening to commentary at our local pool tour, the booth is sure to mention
at some point "and we have 3 former Mosconi Cup players in this event".

The cup is widely considered the most pressure filled event.
You can't have pressure unless something is meaningful.
The more meaningful, the more pressure.
If the players viewed it as just a free roll at the prize money with
a guaranteed appearance fee, there would be no pressure.

Archer: "The pressure doesn’t compare to anything. The Mosconi Cup pressure is something you never get to experience unless you’re in the team."

Hatch: "I was shaking like a leaf".

The difference in prize money is like 6% of Shane's typical annual income,
but when was the last time you saw Shane look like this?

So bottom line, the players care.

As for Mike, I think his bad rep is blown out of proportion. I've been around him a handful
of times, both at major events and just hitting balls at a pool room, and he's been pretty friendly.
He's polite and takes a minute to talk with you.
And a lot of his antics are the frustration all players experience -
smacking the cue, ranting after a loss, stuff like that.
Remember this guy was born in 1987.

Dag, that was a good year for movies.
Predator, Robocop, Lethal Weapon, AND Full Metal Jacket?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey AZ forum,
Marks decision was a good one. Wether or not I'll be able to play under him one day is his choice. I have and will always need to keep myself in check when competing, but it is something I am fully aware of. My goal, for this coming year, to act like a professional and win as much as I can. As far as the potential players, they're great choices. All are very successful in our sport. I am hoping it is right mesh of players that can bring home the cup.
Best,
MD

Glad to hear from you. I for one, am not questioning his choices, just want less speculation and conjecture. All of us have times where we have to keep ourselves in check. I for one have to force myself to keep my mouth shut! Thats called being human. Good luck in your partnership with OB.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey AZ forum,
Best,
MD

That was a very classy response, and I wish you all the best of luck in the future.
Well Done !
P.S. I too, want to see you on the team in 2015.

Last edited:

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
Hey AZ forum,
Best,
MD

posterity.

well said, Mike. thanks for joining. will miss you @ 2014 - but expecting you next year!

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Hey AZ forum,
Best,
MD

Thank you for that. I think that is what most of us wanted to hear from you. I honestly want to see you on the cup team next year. JT

liakos

Banned
Hey AZ forum,
Best,
MD

Well said Mike! What sucks is the past is haunting you as you can see by the negative comments and decisions made by Mark Wilson! We had a talk a while back you and me, if I'm not mistaken, it was our last face to face talk! Hopefully you remember what I said to you!

Yes, even I talk negative about you because of your actions, but you've given me no choice but to. Maybe this was the catalyst needed to make you truly see your own flaws! I'm hoping it will, wouldn't mind rooting for ya if you were to be the respectful player you should be!

Maybe you will change, maybe you won't! But it's obvious to everyone you absolutely have the talent to be one of the best, if not THE BEST, but it all comes down to you pal! At the end of the day, will MD change?? This is the question that only time will tell! Good luck, your biggest fan;) liakos:)