Mike Massey and 3C tournaments

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I often see Mike Massey shoot 3C shots during his shows. To me they look at tough as anything any of the top guys in 3C do.

But I don't think I have ran into a video of him in a 3C tournament or heard his name when the top 3C players are talked about.

Has he played in any? How did he do?
 
Mike likes playing 3-cushion but he would not fare well in a top tournament. (But he's fun to play and watch). If he were to dedicate himself to practice and play 3C on a regular basis, he may have contended in his younger years - he is very talented.

When he played pool seriously before he focused on trick shots he could really play!

Dave
 
I often see Mike Massey shoot 3C shots during his shows. To me they look at tough as anything any of the top guys in 3C do.

But I don't think I have ran into a video of him in a 3C tournament or heard his name when the top 3C players are talked about.

Has he played in any? How did he do?

Here is an exhibition 3C fancy-shot event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HanvUR05r4c

He is clearly capable of making every shot, but what he lacks is 30 years of experience on clean, heated tables playing against top competition. With practice, I'd guess that he could get to a 1.000 average. The problem is that in some pro tournaments, the average for the whole final 16 is something like 1.500 and for a 50-player tournament, there might be only 5 who average 1.000 or less. The winner will often have an average over 2.000 for the whole event. (Blomdahl has the record with 2.739 = 200 in 73, Peleponnese World Cup, 2013.)

I think he may have entered one of the Las Vegas World Cups around 2001, but I don't remember if he played or how he did. When he lived in Utah, he had a 10-foot heated table in his home.
 
Last edited:
Mike Massey

Off topic I guess, but I met Mike Massey for the first time in Reno during the bar box competition.

He seemed like a very nice person....
 
I was with Eddie O'Connell and Wade Crane back in 79 at Dixie Billards Fayettville NC at a tourny there. Eddie talked Mike into giving him the eight,,Eddie didn't get there. I saw Eddie get the eight from Bud Ogburn and then take him apart with it...that didn't happen with Mr Massey
 
Thanks for the link, enjoyed watching it.

Here is an exhibition 3C fancy-shot event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HanvUR05r4c

He is clearly capable of making every shot, but what he lacks is 30 years of experience on clean, heated tables playing against top competition. With practice, I'd guess that he could get to a 1.000 average. The problem is that in some pro tournaments, the average for the whole final 16 is something like 1.500 and for a 50-player tournament, there might be only 5 who average 1.000 or less. The winner will often have an average over 2.000 for the whole event. (Blomdahl has the record with 2.739 = 200 in 73, Peleponnese World Cup, 2013.)

I think he may have entered one of the Las Vegas World Cups around 2001, but I don't remember if he played or how he did. When he lived in Utah, he had a 10-foot heated table in his home.
 
Back
Top