mike Sigel in San Antonio today

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Sigel was in San Antonio today at Bananas Biliards promoting his new league and doing sort of an exhibition.
He mostly just hit balls around and told some stories that the crowd seemed to enjoy.
He seemed to be playing pretty well and was quite cordial and seemingly enjoyed himself, NObody challenged him which surprised me,, as I was sure somebody would for something very cheap. There were a couple of cheap comments thrown but he let it bounce off and continued and I was impressed.
He told or tooted his own horn a little but, he has much to crow about, but he also paried Buddy Hall and a lot. Anyone with 121 titles has much to say but he was very tactful and pleasant.
He was informative about his new league and bashed no others. With the mumbers he dwells on I wish him much luck.
The years have been kind to Mike and he still hits em pretty damned sporty!!!

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted to come by; but 3 in the afternoon in the middle of the week doesn't work for me. Had to work. If you hear of anyone actually adopting his league here in San Antonio can you let me know. I'd give it a shot ! thanks Ed

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member

We will find some fault in all pool players. Whether it is attitude, ego, mannerisms etc... No one is perfect in all aspects, not even close. All of that aside though, there is a couple types of pro players. There is good players, very good players, excellent players etc... But every now and then we get something a lot more. Billiards Digest called them Super Stars. Mike Sigel was one of very few of those. It is also why his game could afford to be away from the sport for such long periods of time, and still compete and win back then.
He is the living Greenleaf, Mosconi, of our time imo. And in some aspects, he even surpassed them. He played more than just straight pool at a super star level.

luke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He will be in Austin TX on Friday, 1/17 at 7pm at the Warehouse Saloon

dearnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Austin: Friday, January 17, Mike will be at Fast Eddie’s in Austin /Round Rock at 3:00 p.m. – 100 Parker Road, Austin, TX – (512) 248-0646, then later on Friday at Warehouse Saloon & Billiards at 509 E Ben White Blvd, Austin, TX 78704 – (512) 443-8799 at 7:00 p.m. In Dallas: Saturday, January 18 at 8:30 p.m. Mike will be at Rack Daddy’s, 17509 Coit Rd., Dallas, TX 75252- (972) 930-0134; Saturday at 5:30 p.m. Mike will be at Frankie’s, 2516 S. Stemmons Frwy., Lewisville, TX 75067 – (214) 488-1100; Monday, January 20 at 7:30 p.m. Mike will be at Billiards Den, 580 W Arapaho Road, Richardson, TX 75080 – (972) 792-7665

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Tooted his own horn a little, not Mike Sigel. lol:p

The IPT did him a huge disservice IMO.

Mike was always talkative and always had a strong sense of self confidence and some ego but he put on a "show" when the IPT came out as Mike "the Mouth" Sigel that was so clearly over the top and artificial, anyone who actually watched him compete in the past could clearly see that.

Mike Sigel was never as obnoxious as the character he played in the IPT and it is pretty clear he did that in a effort to establish a "villain" role and potentially create more fan interest. He tried to merge WWE type of character creation and storylines into pool and the pool playing fans who did not see Mike prior to his earlier retirement thought that was simply him.

The real Mike Sigel is "Captain Hook", not "Mike the Mouth". He was a stone cold killer on the table and talked WAY less then his alter ego and did most of his talking when at the table with his cue.

Here is a very cool video of Mike and Keith back in 1993.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG9zMKOrTc4

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Sigel was in San Antonio today at Bananas Biliards promoting his new league and doing sort of an exhibition.
He mostly just hit balls around and told some stories that the crowd seemed to enjoy.
He seemed to be playing pretty well and was quite cordial and seemingly enjoyed himself, NObody challenged him which surprised me,, as I was sure somebody would for something very cheap. There were a couple of cheap comments thrown but he let it bounce off and continued and I was impressed.
He told or tooted his own horn a little but, he has much to crow about, but he also paried Buddy Hall and a lot. Anyone with 121 titles has much to say but he was very tactful and pleasant.
He was informative about his new league and bashed no others. With the mumbers he dwells on I wish him much luck.

If he comes to Denver I will play him for a bottle of "Hanks" water.
Measureman has heart.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tooted his own horn a little, not Mike Sigel. lol:p
rie he did but he has much to toot about. Still not nearly as much as years past.
He can still hitem and the misses were when he was talking Nobody jumped up and to no surprise. nobody in San Antonio is in his time zone.

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Gppa

Has anyone actually played with this format? I briefly read the rules and it talks about balls in hand per game? I think alot of players are looking for an alternative to APA but not sure about this.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The IPT did him a huge disservice IMO.

Mike was always talkative and always had a strong sense of self confidence and some ego but he put on a "show" when the IPT came out as Mike "the Mouth" Sigel that was so clearly over the top and artificial, anyone who actually watched him compete in the past could clearly see that.

Mike Sigel was never as obnoxious as the character he played in the IPT and it is pretty clear he did that in a effort to establish a "villain" role and potentially create more fan interest. He tried to merge WWE type of character creation and storylines into pool and the pool playing fans who did not see Mike prior to his earlier retirement thought that was simply him.

The real Mike Sigel is "Captain Hook", not "Mike the Mouth". He was a stone cold killer on the table and talked WAY less then his alter ego and did most of his talking when at the table with his cue.

Here is a very cool video of Mike and Keith back in 1993.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG9zMKOrTc4

Maybe.

I have seen him years ago when he was hawking his overpriced cues.

He was an a$$.

There are lots of folks that has had similar experiences.

Your mileage may vary.

I never met Mosconi but one thing I have heard over and over he was an a$$.

Never said he wasnt a great player, but ALL of the players I ever asked about him said he was an a$$.

Ken