Mike Surber

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Great news for sure!!

What facts in the case make it premeditated? It's been so long I have forgotten tbe details...

I am not aware of the new developments.
What I know is a dirty creepy criminal conman lures a nice affable pool player away from the pool hall and murders him as soon as he is alone.
Don't know how much more premeditated it could be.

Mike Surber must have been an incredibly trusting soul to leave the pool hall with that guy.

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At Joey A's suggestion, I contacted the FBI agents who had interviewed me about the case back in March. I just spoke with the secondary agent on the case. He said to check the FBI's cold case posting on their website, which has been featured recently:

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seeking-info/michael-surber

This page can be shared with anyone, especially to our friends in the pool community. There's even a printable poster for download.

He said that they do have DNA evidence, and that it is in line at Quantico to be re-examined with newer cutting edge techniques. There is a tremendous backlog.

I'll get ahold of the lead agent in Gulfport when he's available to see if he can share anything further. But this is definitely a re-activated cold case.

~Doc

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
At Joey A's suggestion, I contacted the FBI agents who had interviewed me about the case back in March. I just spoke with the secondary agent on the case. He said to check the FBI's cold case posting on their website, which has been featured recently:

This page can be shared with anyone, especially to our friends in the pool community. There's even a printable poster for download.

He said that they do have DNA evidence, and that it is in line at Quantico to be re-examined with newer cutting edge techniques. There is a tremendous backlog.

I'll get ahold of the lead agent in Gulfport when he's available to see if he can share anything further. But this is definitely a re-activated cold case.

~Doc

Fantastic
Sounds like you're doing everything possible to get that creep off the streets.
Although he is probably back in prison or dead.

After the FBI makes the arrest, I would like to see a campaign demanding execution.
At least the guys that are for capital punishment.

Thirty days in the electric chair is too good for him!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

~Doc

Thanks for this new piece of news. I want to be there the day the POS gets sentenced. Mike was a friend to everyone he met. I sure do miss him. He got absolutely the most out of his game and made himself into a good player. Mike should be an inspiration for anyone wanting to excel at pool.

billy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

~Doc

Thanks for the update Doc ... Mike needs peace and justice

a good friend gone entirely too soon

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

~Doc

It is hard to believe that there are no leads. Did they not get DNA from cigarette butts in the car and/or in his home from the perp?

I pray this case is solved and that there will be justice for Mike Surber and his family.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the update Doc. Having DNA can be huge if the killer is in the system. Hopefully, they can find him and serve justice to Mike.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
FANTASTIC! Hope springs eternal.

JoeyA

~Doc

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is hard to believe that there are no leads. Did they not get DNA from cigarette butts in the car and/or in his home from the perp?

I pray this case is solved and that there will be justice for Mike Surber and his family.
Yes, they do have DNA evidence, reportedly from a cigarette butt. Since Mike didn't smoke, they know it's from the suspect. The agent didn't say which evidence is being re-examined at Quantico. But, as BRLongArm on onepocket.org said, the new "touch DNA" process is now used to re-open old cases.

And you must get credit as well for all your efforts in keeping alive interest in this horrible crime.

~Doc

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, they do have DNA evidence, reportedly from a cigarette butt. Since Mike didn't smoke, they know it's from the suspect. The agent didn't say which evidence is being re-examined at Quantico. But, as BRLongArm on onepocket.org said, the new "touch DNA" process is now used to re-open old cases.

And you must get credit as well for all your efforts in keeping alive interest in this horrible crime.

~Doc

Im fairly certain that getting DNA from Cigs was routine in 2009 so I have no clue as to what is going on. I thought the guy would be caught in days. I think there was a screw-up early on.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

~Doc

Thank you, Doc. You too. You have been dilligent in your efforts to keep this case alive, even though years have gone by.

I am excited that some new developments will be coming forth. This perp has done this before. The DNA will be the key to solving this case. All criminals have DNA in the criminal database. I think it's called CODIS.

Justice for Mike Surber is coming soon. I feel it.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Im fairly certain that getting DNA from Cigs was routine in 2009 so I have no clue as to what is going on. I thought the guy would be caught in days. I think there was a screw-up early on.

NoStroke; Doc was referring to some newer technology "touch dna" that my impression of is it's a higher yield process for when dna is hard to get but I'm with you as far as their having a cigarette butt from the bad guy so should already have what they need as far as dna.

Could be that this guy isn't in the national database but I would think that's a longshot. They usually don't start off with committing murder.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
NoStroke; Doc was referring to some newer technology "touch dna" that my impression of is it's a higher yield process for when dna is hard to get but I'm with you as far as their having a cigarette butt from the bad guy so should already have what they need as far as dna.

Could be that this guy isn't in the national database but I would think that's a longshot. They usually don't start off with committing murder.

best,
brian kc

I'm guessing this perp might be languishing in some jail somewhere right now. He probably has talked about his crimes with other cons but no one has given him up yet. Maybe one day they will. Let's hope so.

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if this is still true but I believe they have huge back logs to upload DNA they have collected for years from each and every state into the data base. For years several states didn't even participate. A few years back they caught a murderer who's DNA they had collected a few years prior but still hadn't got around loading it into the national data base. So, several years later when they finally got around to up loading him, bingo, he matched a 13 year old kidnap homicide of a little girl.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

best,
brian kc

It is only recently (last 4-5 yrs) where convicted Felons were required to give up their DNA. There probably are some States where they still dont have to give it up. He could have easily skated-not to mention the whole backlog thing. I still think it's been a boondoggle since day 1-We shall see.

bullshooter69

Dirt Road Player
Silver Member
I kept looking at storys about William Greer.
Over the years he was spotted in Kentucky, Georgia, Louisiana, New Orleans.
Several storys on line about him.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
http://m.chron.com/news/article/Murder-fugitive-William-Joseph-Greer-added-to-6757126.php
Someone else could think I'm wrong but I thought this guy looks like the scum bag.
He is a fugitive gor over 10 years and was just captured.
Killed his girlfriend in Texas 2006.

I think while there is some similarity in appearance, the suspect in the Surber murder was much more slender in stature by approx 50 lbs (according to both listed descriptions).

And if you look at the video footage of him at the MS pool hall where he met up with Mike, I think you'll see some more differences in facial features.

best,
brian kc

Last edited: