milk duds that play soft, when hit soft- ?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the way my 'dud plays when hit with force
but hit at slower speeds, it's a little hard/"pingy"
obviously the tip is pressed, so maybe I'm stuck
but am wondering if there are any 'duds out there
that play soft, at fast *and* slow speeds?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like duds for consistency, don't like a hard tip. After soaking I usually press them down to the height they were to begin with or a little less. A little thicker works also. Probably have to ask somebody dudding tips to run you a few special tips. Another option might be to try the elkmaster premium line. Overpriced in my opinion, all they are are sorted elkmasters. A box of tips and a pair of scales that costs under twenty dollars would probably give you a lifetime supply of tips. I am using some elkmasters from about ten years ago. I sorted them by weight but didn't get around to dudding them. I find that they hold shape and play quite well.

Hu

Pool Hand Luke

I soaked 3 and pressed 1 for 24 hours, 1 for 12 and 1 for 48. Haven't tried the 48 yet, but so far I like the 12 hour press the best.
Standard Elkmasters are so soft they are almost feel spongey to me, and they shred quickly whenever I tried shaping them.

Last edited:

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
I like duds for consistency, don't like a hard tip. After soaking I usually press them down to the height they were to begin with or a little less. A little thicker works also.
That’s a nice nugget of knowledge, right there. I never knew if I disliked a “hard” tip or not. I knew that I didn’t like to constantly mess with mushrooming. I also always disliked a springy hit; I just want to feel that instantaneous moment of pressure as I stroke to and through the cue ball. Must have some tendinitis or something in my elbow ‘cuz it stings when I short arm a shot, I trust that feedback the most.

Tried making some milk duds for a couple house cues. One of the things I wondered about when making the duds was how thick to make them. There was plenty of folks bragging about their special mix of buttermilk and the cream of sum yung guy, but not a whole lot of specifics. Those suckers ended up at 4.5 millimeters. Boy were they hard. It took me forever to sand and shape those tips.

On a 19 oz. house cue they play very lively. I prefer the hit to the 18 oz with standard Elkmaster. I had to change that tip (standard) after it opened up like an accordion and it requires constant maintenance. Forget about breaking with it.

The dud is just a good all around answer. Don’t notice a ping at lighter speeds just pressure. I’ll definitely try pressing them closer to a little less than original thickness next time I make them. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, burn me at the stake, but I broke down and bought a few milk duds several months back and was totally unimpressed.

I played with one for a few weeks and then moved on to a different experiment (which was also unimpressive). Right now I own a pretty good assortment of tips but am still looking for something as good as the old Mooris

Lou Figueroa

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
OK, burn me at the stake, but I broke down and bought a few milk duds several months back and was totally unimpressed.

I played with one for a few weeks and then moved on to a different experiment (which was also unimpressive). Right now I own a pretty good assortment of tips but am still looking for something as good as the old Mooris

Lou Figueroa

Searing's Precision's

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may want to try a Ki Tek, medium soft....then remove 1/3. Shoot some firm shots to break it in. They do not mushroom and hold their shape.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the way my 'dud plays when hit with force
but hit at slower speeds, it's a little hard/"pingy"
obviously the tip is pressed, so maybe I'm stuck
but am wondering if there are any 'duds out there
that play soft, at fast *and* slow speeds?

Just press the tip dry. Milk is not necessary unless you want it hard. I like mine medium soft to medium. Start with pressing by 1 mm for 24 hours. Mine has never shroomed on me.

When you have trouble solving a problem, inverse it. What causes mushrooming? Repeated compression from striking the CB.

So, just pre compress it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like powldawg8 milk duds. They were just a tad over medium but were very consistent. I just got bored and wanted to try to make my own. I ordered 2 different presses and a box of 50 tips.

Unless you want a harder tip, milk is unnecessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
I was not impressed with a milk dud, either.