Mosconi 526 Stop the Steal

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
JS626 fake fake hoax hoax
Your concerns are even more articulate, specific and rational than those that the others posted previously. Bravo!!, I see a harrimoon gold star in your future.

I suspect most will change their mind after reading your post. I am almost convinced myself after such a compelling analysis.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

8BALL EDDIE

Personally, I'm on the fence about John Schmidt's 626-ball run.

Do I believe that Schmidt, or any of the "witnesses", are lying about the feat? No, not necessarily.

However, I'm not the type of person that just blindly believes word of mouth. Without seeing something for myself, I simply chalk it up as talk.

Furthermore, the fact that there's 'allegedly' video proof of the amazing run, yet nobody will release it, does raise a little suspicion. I mean, if I did something so impressive, I'd make sure the whole world saw it/knew it!

Bottom line: I don't doubt it could have happened. I'll believe it when I see it. None the less, even if Schmidt's claims are completely true, I still find Willie Mosconi's 526-ball run in 1954 far more impressive - given the old tables; cushions; conditions; traditional high-deflection tip, ferrule, shaft, joint, cue; etc. And, the fact that his historic accomplishment stood unmatched for at least 65 years.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I'm on the fence about John Schmidt's 626-ball run.

Do I believe that Schmidt, or any of the "witnesses", are lying about the feat? No, not necessarily.

However, I'm not the type of person that just blindly believes word of mouth. Without seeing something for myself, I simply chalk it up as talk.

Furthermore, the fact that there's 'allegedly' video proof of the amazing run, yet nobody will release it, does raise a little suspicion. I mean, if I did something so impressive, I'd make sure the whole world saw it/knew it!

Bottom line: I don't doubt it could have happened. I'll believe it when I see it. None the less, even if Schmidt's claims are completely true, I still find Willie Mosconi's 526-ball run in 1954 far more impressive - given the old tables; cushions; conditions; traditional high-deflection tip, ferrule, shaft, joint, cue; etc. And, the fact that his historic accomplishment stood unmatched for at least 65 years.
I think you make a great point here in your bottom line- hate to repeat all this - but why not? Mosconi and other 14.1 greats never even attempted to set high run records- they ALL played the game as a means of family financial support. I have no doubts Mosconi could have run a 1,000 if he was paid to do it. His 526 was just a casual chance attempt- nothing more than that for him!

The whole idea of someone today holing themselves up for weeks/ months at a time for this attempt is just utterly ridiculous. It has as much merit or COMPETITIVE sports influence/ interest as a baseball home run derby contest - basically no meaning at all. To each his own I guess.

It takes way more to actually WIN world championships- Post 1985 I would take Sigel, Ortmann, Hohmann, to name a few as my bets in a 14.1 competitive pressure situation over JS.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you make a great point here in your bottom line- hate to repeat all this - but why not? Mosconi and other 14.1 greats never even attempted to set high run records- they ALL played the game as a means of family financial support. I have no doubts Mosconi could have run a 1,000 if he was paid to do it. His 526 was just a casual chance attempt- nothing more than that for him!

The whole idea of someone today holing themselves up for weeks/ months at a time for this attempt is just utterly ridiculous. It has as much merit or COMPETITIVE sports influence/ interest as a baseball home run derby contest - basically no meaning at all. To each his own I guess.

It takes way more to actually WIN world championships- Post 1985 I would take Sigel, Ortmann, Hohmann, to name a few as my bets in a 14.1 competitive pressure situation over JS.
Wasn't the 526 just an exhibition also? Hell, if KoolAid would come out with 'Danny's Denial' flavor they'd get rich.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
If you haven't seen it, there's a cool video on the world champions for 14.1. [Schmidt did win the 14.1 world in 2012]. I think they are trying to set up a Hohmann/Schmidt match as well!

I think that a world champion has a great chance of shooting 526+ balls. That's a real feat!

-td

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's nothing ridiculous about setting a personal goal and then surpassing it. It's actually a large part of what pushes mankind forward. Kudos should go out to anyone who achieves such things.
JUST for your information- I agree with you- setting a PERSONAL goal and achieving it is a wonderful thing. 626 is a great achievement. My issue is anyone saying or presenting this as an achievement that surpasses other's efforts- IT DOES NOT! Simply because the 'OTHERS" who were greats of this grand 14.1 game- never sought to create the longest 14.1 run possible.
So let us just leave it as a "personal achievement" as you described it as such- I am very happy with that- no comparison to anything else in billiard history need be made- because nobody else cared to make a public spectacle out of running balls.

What I think is ridiculous is pretending that one's personal achievements surpass other's personal efforts- when no such efforts ever existed!

Last edited:

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your concerns are even more articulate, specific and rational than those that the others posted previously. Bravo!!, I see a harrimoon gold star in your future.

I suspect most will change their mind after reading your post. I am almost convinced myself after such a compelling analysis.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
Thank you I am glad you understand my “Compelling Analysis.” I am very proud of my law degree and years arguing the truth for the people. My deep love and respect for this game would allow me no less.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Running out balls on a table is the same no matter where you are or what you are doing. Nothing is stopping anyone else from trying it like Sigel or Ortmann or your neighbor. Unless you actually talked to the players you can't really say they were not trying to get as high of a run as they can. How about the DCC 14.1 challenge?

The fact is that all the people that complain about the new high run are just fans of Mosconi and it's about the same as religion or politics, no amount of debate or examples will sway them to the other side. What we should deal with are facts. On a pool table, how many balls were pocketed without missing on an official size and setup pool table? If number A > B then A is the high run. When it happened, or who did it, what they were wearing, if they had stronger coffee, does not matter. Who does not actively try to break a record? You think all the people in the Olympics just go there to run or swim or fence just to be OK or to set a record? They train to be OK or to be the best they can or the best anyone has seen? How is trying for a record in pool any different? You prepare and work on it many times till you die, give up, or you get it done. Do the world records for say the 1/4 mile say what equipment or training the person had? Are there asterisks saying "this guy in 2018 had lighter shoes and high tech training" in the record books?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
mosi didnt make the 526 in a match to 600 what kind of bullshit is that

in 3c they dont count a high score if the match is over and they keep running like ol hugo