Mosconi Cup 2012 Day (3) Discussion

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
I'd go for that & would really like to watch that.

Remember guys, 'we' don't select our team. The 'producers' of the event decide who they want for what they believe will be the best entertainment value. Therefore it is not a true 'legitimate' competition. It is a 'staged' competition. I'm not saying that the players are not playing their best. I'm just saying 'picking' our team is not a legitimate process.

Regards

Was this opinion formed before they were 6-9 down or after?

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Was this opinion formed before they were 6-9 down or after?

Slasher,

Exactly to what opinion are you refering? The one about how the teams are formed/picked. That's just the fact. It's in the 'producers/promoters' hands & just not really totally ligitimate when the competitors are picked by others. No sour grapes. It is what it is. Natually I would like the USA team to win, & they still might, but it's not life or death, it's just a short run team 'competiton' that is very good for the game. Similiar to the Rider Cup but certainly not near that level of legitimacy.

The European team is playing 'lights out' (see my reference to have my legs shortened & to gain 60 pounds so I can play like Melling & thenout comes D.A.). The USA team is simply not sucking it up & getting it done. I won't use the 3rd. letter of the alphabet word, but it seems that the fish & chips might be getting caught in their throats. (I even think Ms. Tabb might be 'distracting' a couple of the rookies) Maybe they should have a pint or two before their match so they can loosen up.

But like Scarlet O'hara said...'Tommorrow... is another day!'

Best Regards,

Last edited:

Seneca Steve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And a lot of people didn't think Archer should play this year...maybe Earl should have played as well.

Lets go get more of the old hardened tough money players and put them in a similar room where we can raise cain while the brits and euros are shooting .. Invite a bunch of knowledgeable rednecks give away free beer and get rowdy.

Prentan84

Registered
I wasn't defending anything. You aren't understanding what i wrote for some reason. I wasn't talking about Europe nor do I care about Europe. I was referring to the problems here

No i didn't understand that USA have problems in selecting a team because they have no main tour, if this and that was done and the top 150 players could make a living from the game, it would be easier to do so!

Obviously i'm taking the piss, Usa team obviously has qualifying criteria and so has Europe some automatic, some qualified! I was just pointing out that the top 150 europeans don't make a living so it doesn't make a blind bit of difference in selecting a team! if you perform you get in simple as!!

if you went by the eurotours top 5 alone only 2 of the current mosconi team would be playing! if you went by the best 5 europeans world ranking wise only 2 of the current team would be playing!

DrOnePocket

Banned
No i didn't understand that USA have problems in selecting a team because they have no main tour, if this and that was done and the top 150 players could make a living from the game, it would be easier to do so!

Obviously i'm taking the piss, Usa team obviously has qualifying criteria and so has Europe some automatic, some qualified! I was just pointing out that the top 150 europeans don't make a living so it doesn't make a blind bit of difference in selecting a team! if you perform you get in simple as!!

if you went by the eurotours top 5 alone only 2 of the current mosconi team would be playing! if you went by the best 5 europeans world ranking wise only 2 of the current team would be playing!

Around here many of the best players only gamble and play regional events. There are many reasons for this but it keeps some of our best players from playing. There are also guys here that some don't like their personality so they will never be on the team but they play better under pressure than a couple on the team now.

Prentan84

Registered
Yeah i get where your coming from! From what i've seen Hatch is the worst player on the team. Although has a good reputation looks nothing special! Brandon looked nervous and in the doubles neither did each other favours but hatch as a senior player and having been their before knows to make it as easy as possible for your partner until they find there feet. If i was the captain id just say to Brandon look go out their relax and enjoy the experience, take it in & learn quickly. You can play pool, i know it, u know it, you wouldnt be here otherwise, now show these people what your made of!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As a fan of Team America, I haven't lost hope, but I'd suggest that to this point, what we've seen is what we already knew. Europe has a stronger competitive pedigree than the United States. In 14 of the 15 matches played, Europe reached the hill or better, and the Mosconi Cup has, in my opinion, been more lopsided than the 9-6 score would suggest.

On Team America, only Archer is playing above what we'd all have expected, and the other four are playing below what we would have expected.

On Team Europe, Appleton and Feijen have been phenomenal, VanDenBerg and Melling have been admirable, and Ekonomopolous has been pretty solid, too.

As we so often discuss on the forum, other than Shane, Team America sits out all the big overseas international events, and the price they pay is a reduction in their ability to compete against the biggest stars of Europe and Asia. Not surprisingly, Archer, a veteran of fifteen Mosconi Cups, is best equipped for the pressure that comes with this event.

To make the comeback tomorrow, Team America will have to show a far greater competitive pedigree than what we've seen. If Team America manages to get the first two points tomorrow, the game is on, and I'm sure Coach Wiley will frontload the lineup to maximize the likelihood that it will happen.

Nonetheless, what we have here is tough action.

Let talk about the playing conditions, the rolls, and the crowd cease. We on the forum know good pool when we see it, and Team Europe has delivered far more of it through three days of this event than Team America.

... but tomorrow's another day, and perhaps Team America will find its form and rise to the occasion.

Last edited:

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its an instant replay of the Ryder Cup. We Americans tend to underestimate the European team...and overestimate our team for that matter. They have better work ethic.....and they know how to preform selflessly as a team....and not individually.

Food for thought....Hatch and Dechaine didn't even elect to participate in our own US Open.......and their representing the United States? Sorry...Give me any combination of Oscar/Mills/Bartram/M Davis/Earl...with Shane/JA/Shuff.....at least these guys have the heart to compete.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Around here many of the best players only gamble and play regional events. There are many reasons for this but it keeps some of our best players from playing. There are also guys here that some don't like their personality so they will never be on the team but they play better under pressure than a couple on the team now.

Really??:confused:

Cause I have been to DCC, the biggest gambling tourney in the US, for at least 8 years running now and can't recall anyone jumping up to play Mike, Dennis, Brandon and especially SVB or JA...

There are players in the US who maybe play equal to a few of the Mosconi members, but no one plays above them!!

I think your claim is a bit off...

And for future reference (So I don't get steered to the land of WORLD BEATERS)...just where is 'around here'?:thumbup:

Gary

raypoitra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you do?

US players earned they're spots. Earned the points, put the time in to be there and deserve to be on the team. I wish people would quit bashing players and give them some respect. Until you are there shooting under the same pressure and lights you shouldn't be saying not a Damm thing.

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Appleton broke and ran Games 1, 3, and 5.

In Game 2, SVB broke and ran to the 7-ball and missed it; DA made the 7/9 combo.

In game 4, SVB made an illegal break (and pocketed the 1-ball). DA played safe on the 2-ball. SVB hit the 2-ball on a jump. DA ran out.

3 mistakes for SVB; none for DA.

Only going to make the next TAR more fun.

screamingelvis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has been an eye opener..I'm practicing

US players earned they're spots. Earned the points, put the time in to be there and deserve to be on the team. I wish people would quit bashing players and give them some respect. Until you are there shooting under the same pressure and lights you shouldn't be saying not a Damm thing.

You know I guess your right but there seem to be a great deal of difference between the two teams. IMHO leads me to believe that the "professional tour" in europe along with the snooker culture is alot healthier there than here. Here our pros have to play any paying tourney just to get by. I'm not going to beat this to death but SVD has won many events but not by grinding to the extent needed to win here. I enjoy the format and the crowd maybe it's time we make pool a spectator sport as well. Now I'm waiting by my phone for a call from Mikayla to ask me for an extension.

DrOnePocket

Banned
Really??:confused:

Cause I have been to DCC, the biggest gambling tourney in the US, for at least 8 years running now and can't recall anyone jumping up to play Mike, Dennis, Brandon and especially SVB or JA...

There are players in the US who maybe play equal to a few of the Mosconi members, but no one plays above them!!

I think your claim is a bit off...

And for future reference (So I don't get steered to the land of WORLD BEATERS)...just where is 'around here'?:thumbup:

Gary

You are entitled to your opinion even if it is wrong. You should read from the beginning instead of taking one post out of context. It makes you sound stupid

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member

I liked this post so much I am putting it in my signature. Thank holy hell somebody else in here has some common sense!!!

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are entitled to your opinion even if it is wrong. You should read from the beginning instead of taking one post out of context. It makes you sound stupid

Makes me sound stupid?? I read most of the entire thread and you didn't make a post until post 291..lol...doesn't look like I missed anything!

You show your stupidity by eluding to it was 'taken out of context'....frigging hilarious!!!

But, you are right, It is my opinion...I read enough of your posts and those you were in conversation with to ascertain your statement...

Correct me if I am wrong...but your statement stated there are players who play better under pressure than current MC team members and thus more deserving of a spot. However, due to personality conflicts yada yada yada....they don't play more events where they could accumulate points to earn a spot.

What say you?

I have seen all the current MC Team members play and even gamble as well as 2/5 of Team Europe...not that it matters really but if you think regional players hold up to pressure better, then well...it makes you sound stupid!

Seriously, you should get out more!!

Idiot police, huh?? Arrest yourself!!!

Gary

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... In 13 of the 15 matches played, Europe reached the hill or better...

14 of 15! Only in the opening Team match has Europe failed to win at least 4 games.

sjm said:
As we so often discuss on the forum, other than Shane, Team America sits out all the big overseas international events, and the price they pay is a reduction in their ability to compete against the biggest stars of Europe and Asia. ...

Yes, and sometimes they even sit out U.S. events, particularly Hatch. It doesn't seem like he has competed much this year.

DrOnePocket

Banned
Makes me sound stupid?? I read most of the entire thread and you didn't make a post until post 291..lol...doesn't look like I missed anything!

You show your stupidity by eluding to it was 'taken out of context'....frigging hilarious!!!

But, you are right, It is my opinion...I read enough of your posts and those you were in conversation with to ascertain your statement...

Correct me if I am wrong...but your statement stated there are players who play better under pressure than current MC team members and thus more deserving of a spot. However, due to personality conflicts yada yada yada....they don't play more events where they could accumulate points to earn a spot.

What say you?

I have seen all the current MC Team members play and even gamble as well as 2/5 of Team Europe...not that it matters really but if you think regional players hold up to pressure better, then well...it makes you sound stupid!

Seriously, you should get out more!!

Idiot police, huh?? Arrest yourself!!!

Gary

You are an idiot! lol

I was never talking about all of the members on the team. You keep acting like I was and you run wild with that idea. Learn how to read

Desmondp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a neutral Australian, it's quite disturbing to see how many of you yanks rag heavily on your team. Remember it was all level after 2 days !

One bad day and it's worst team this, chocker this

Support your boys guys, if they go down, they go down